Author Topic: Shipping..  (Read 13672 times)

Offline rus

Shipping..
« on: November 16, 2007, 11:07:15 AM »
Hi,

I am trying to bring a c3 into Australia and by ringing up / emailing DOTARS, customs and talking in person at RTA, I realized that nobody knows jack.

Please tell me if I am correct with my information... it is a struggle to get help anywhere. This is for a ~1970 vette... and I am in NSW.

1. Obtain import approval.
2. Get the car shipped... Once the car arrives pay the GST, Quarantine fees... do any other fees apply? Please tell me personal experiences.
3. Get the car somehow to my house / storage place.
4. Get it rego'ed ... this part nobody seems to know... do you require some sort of an engineer certificate? Supposedly you don't need it for August 1972 or earlier... This is the part that gives me the chills because everybody (RTA and DOTARS) just keeps referring me from place to place and nobody has answers.

Thank you very much for any help,

Cheers
Daniel.

Offline cosmicvette

• Four Barrel
Shipping..
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 11:59:39 AM »
Hi Daniel,

I have been through the whole process a couple of times now, and know exactly what you are talking about. (I have a 1970 and a 1990)
Each time I called one of the authorities, as an example, the rta, I was told a different thing each time I called!
Its a bit of a joke.

Anyway, for starters, have you found a transport/shipping company yet?
I recommend Smith International Freight.
They help you the import approval, and I know they can help you with some of the questions you have regarding payment of gst (when the car arrives - for a 1970 car, you only have to pay for the gst, not import duty), and quarantine (which unless the car is brand new, basically you will have to pay for steam cleaning when it arrives, and then another quarantine inspection fee - the first quarantine inspection fee is included in the shipping cost, but it will basically fail this and will need steam cleaning then a second inspection fee).
His name is Nick Smith:
      Smith International Freight
          Castlemaine 2 Goldsmiths Crs 3450
          (03) 5470 6411, smithint@netcon.net.au
A number of people from the corvette club have used his services now. Tell him Alex from the corvette club.

I did plenty of research (as I'm sure you are), Nick was the most pleasant and helpful of all the companies I spoke to, and also very well priced, and also he ships into all cities (including Sydney), and so you don't have to worry about paying for extra transport from Brisbane to Sydney.

Re Rego. You do not need engineering (your right, because it is pre adr's). What you will need is a weigh certificate and a blue slip. Also your bill of sale and clear title. then you will be able to get full rego.

You will need to change the head lights (so they dip to the left). I did this myself. I bought some headlights from auto one (didn't cost much at all) and it only took about 30 minutes. A few places people recommended to me to get this done wanted $500 ...what a joke.
You don't need to change the indicator bulbs or lenses (some people will tell you that you do).

where abouts in Sydney are you? I can recommend the blue slip place I went to for my 70. This place does the weigh bridge certificate , so its really handy....(cause they have the machine at their workshop).

Also, I got my car transported from Sydneham (thats where I picked my car up from), on a flat bed. cost about $220 I think...to the Northshore (but I got it transported to a blue slip place that didn't know the laws, and he was a real stuff wit, so I got the transport company to take it home).

Anything else you may want to ask, don't hesitate.

good work dude, 70 corvettes rule btw!

Alex

Offline rus

Shipping..
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 02:05:11 PM »
Thank you very much for this information. I guess its not as complicated as it seems.

I am already organising transport with the USA party I am dealing with, but I will keep the contacts in mind for possible future dealings.

Thanks again.

;)

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
Shipping..
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 06:36:59 PM »
good luck in your quest.

Offline daniel42au

• Four Barrel
    • members.ozemail.com.au/~daniel42au
Shipping..
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 08:38:03 PM »
You are quite right... if you take one step at a time .... it is certainly not as complicated as it seems.

Also it is important to realise that each step isn't connected to the previous step so don't be overwhelmed by where you want to be.....just do one step at a time.... and 'enjoy' the process, Grasshopper.

Pls .... keep us informed on your progress.....

Daniel42au

My Saga is here....
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~daniel42au/Import.html

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
Shipping..
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 12:53:43 AM »
;51

My experience when I imported my vette was exactly the same as Cosmicvette, even to having a dickhead Blue Slip Inspector who wanted an Engineers Certificated which was not required.
However you do need your Import Approval Certificate to get your rego.
I think I paid about $700 in customs fees, $200 for the wash and 10% GST on the price of the (landed cost) car which ncludes the freight costs.

:x

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
Shipping..
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 11:50:24 AM »
if you dont mind dealing interstate (s.a.) give graham a call., www.americanmusclecars.com.au
tell him neville sent you....he has bought in a few vettes including some BIG DOLLER late 50's vettes ,chargers and camaros....he can organise all the paperwork,and find or ship the car of your choice for you...details on his website.;42

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
Shipping..
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 08:51:06 AM »
I USED TO IMPORT CARS FROM JAPAN CAN GIVE YOU SOME CONTACT NAMES & NOS FOR THE RIGHT PEOPLE WHO WONT RIP YOU OFF GEOFF 0417473492 IN SYDNEY

Offline Sting 69

• Four Barrel
Shipping..
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 08:48:02 AM »
Hey Daniel, I am bringing a 69 vette into Australia at the moment. I am using Nick Smith International for the import. His prices are very good. All up the cost for the import will be around $7000 grand after paying all fees.
  Cheers Adam.

Offline GoldDigger

• Two Barrel
Shipping..
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 10:25:23 AM »
Great choice Daniel.  More C3's the better.
PK;41

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
Shipping..
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 11:10:39 AM »
;51

The more chrome C3's the better. ;46
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
Shipping..
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 03:26:27 PM »
I am at the moment shipping a car through Nick Smith. He's had it sitting in California since Feb. Every time I call I get some new excuse. I'm really starting to loose patience.

How long did he have you guys cars for before he shipped them?

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
Shipping..
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 04:49:43 PM »
Originally posted by demonx
I am at the moment shipping a car through Nick Smith. He's had it sitting in California since Feb. Every time I call I get some new excuse. I'm really starting to loose patience.

How long did he have you guys cars for before he shipped them?

The last two cars I imported only took 30 days from time of drop off to the time of pick up here in Sydney (shipping time from dock to dock is 20 days) and it wasn't Nick Smith
Remember you only get what you pay for;27

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
Shipping..
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 05:27:29 PM »
Originally posted by Chromie
Remember you only get what you pay for;27

Yeah - but he charges $3000 !!!

Offline Sting 69

• Four Barrel
Shipping..
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 12:12:40 AM »
Well I have just started using him also. He brought some mustangs in for a friend mine last year.
I had the car picked up a couple of weeks ago and am waiting for the ship to come in. After speaking to him last week it seems he has a few vettes lined up to come over soon. One question though. Customs charges 10% GST. Is this on the US price I paid or the AUS dollar. What were you told?

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
Shipping..
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 06:22:19 AM »
Originally posted by Sting 69One question though. Customs charges 10% GST. Is this on the US price I paid or the AUS dollar. What were you told?

Nick told me it will be charged on what the Aussie dollar is on the day they do the paperwork. Not on the day the car was purchased.

Offline Sting 69

• Four Barrel
Shipping..
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 08:58:19 AM »
So I am right saying that they go on the price paid not the market value. You could have an L88 that is a wreck but no one is going to pay GST on car that is really worth $1000 's. when it is in this condition.

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
Shipping..
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 03:17:08 PM »
Originally posted by Sting 69
So I am right saying that they go on the price paid not the market value.  

Yes.

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
Shipping..
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 03:23:26 PM »
Originally posted by demonx
Originally posted by Sting 69
So I am right saying that they go on the price paid not the market value.  

Yes.

G.S.T. is on both the vehicle, insurance & freight
Duty is on the vehicle only

Offline Sting 69

• Four Barrel
Shipping..
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »
I have outlined the costs I was told to pay
*Container/Paperwork etc- $3300 inc GST
*10% Duty on the car $ 2100
* Freight across US. $ 879 Aus have already paid.
* High Pressure wash $500
This is the total of the costs I was quoted. Were you quote a similiar figure?