Author Topic: Shipping..  (Read 13673 times)

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
Shipping..
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 06:28:15 AM »
I was quoted $3000 for the shipping, pack/unpack etc etc

then $1400 trucking (one side to the other)

When it arrives (this is where you seem confused) the 10% will be charged on everything you have spent up till this point. that includes the car, the trucking (if its on the receipts which I'm hoping its not) including your $3k shipping, including your insurance.

Nick told me that quarantine will only be around $250

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
Shipping..
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 07:57:35 PM »
;40
If you are only importing the car and no parts, do it yourself using RO/RO.
I paid $1150 shipping and $500 insurance + GST + landing charges of $500.
;50

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
Shipping..
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
Whats RO/RO ?

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
Shipping..
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 10:33:49 PM »
Originally posted by demonx
Whats RO/RO ?

Roll on/roll off.

In general terms that means the cargo is able to be moved onto and off the ship under its own power, as opposed to being crated/containerised and lifted by crane.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
Shipping..
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 08:19:11 PM »
;27
RO/RO stands for roll on, roll off these are special car carrier ships where they drive the car on to the shipat the entry port and drive it off at the exit port.
;27

Offline c5vette

• Four Barrel
    • www.mrpinball.com.au
Shipping..
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2008, 01:04:28 AM »
I just bought another car in and the costs are much more

$275US to transport car to US shipper
$2195US ship to Australia by Container RO/RO was quoted at $5k

costs here were
$467 to unload container
$365 customs broker
$295 unpack
$200 stean clean
another $500 of fees for inspection etc etc

so about $1800 local and $2800 shipping
+ duty $300 and GST $800
so $5700 aud and car was $3kUS so total was about $9k
2020 C8 Z51 Sebring Orange Stingray, Launch Edition

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
Shipping..
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2008, 07:13:30 PM »
:v
Get a quote from a company called "shipoverseas.com" they are in San Diego, California. phone 888 805 4994, They were not doing RO/RO from the east coast when I got a quote from them in December, but were due to resume in March, west coast RO/RO shipping was OK. You can get a quote on line. Their qute to ship by container was about $700 more expensive, I think.
:x

Offline ozpont

• Four Barrel
Shipping..
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2008, 09:58:47 PM »
$3500+gst ($3850), bond store LA to "here are the keys" + your Duty or GST on the vehicle as charged by ACS... .. ex Sydney.  All inclusive..finished... done no more.. nothing...!    
     With alot of personal care, as in this week with a US$40,000 muscle car coming in - we have a guy on the spot overseeing & photographing the opening, unloading, tactical moving (not a fork under the side.. or drag it with a chain etc..), cleaning & pushing for release the same day..onto a trailer.. the same day & delivered - its expected & planned NEVER to leave our sight.

We do not ship for everybody that comes along & frequently turn down requests for various reasons.

DIY.....You can obtain your own 20 footer (FCL).. ex LA on a direct shipment ..but in honestly.. by the time its here.. the REAL cost.. is about A$6500 with little or nothing else inside it.   Your FCL payment stops when the ship dock's.. All charges including the crane to remove it to the dock are additionals.. as are extended dock storage / demurage times.. normally 3 days.  Your agent or you..need to be right on the ball.

As a general rule of thumb... <b>add about 40%</b> of the cost of the quoted containers international Bond store to Australian DOCK voyage...  <b>AGAIN..</b> as local expenses.. and you would be close enough to budget it thru.
     Your further "real costs" can be damage caused by reckless redneck unpackers who don't give a damn.. :23 passing the buck in a locked industry.... they dont' take any responsiblity and play the "see nothing know nothing sue us - if you like"... blame game.
    Be carefull who you use.. BOTH ends.  Roll-on-roll-off is also VERY prone to petty theft.
    Another recommendable shipper & in house packer FROM BOTH ENDS... .is John Cain in Newcastle..... and people with a few years under their belt will know of him.. JC's son is set up in LA doing the packing, and JC out here looks after the unpack. Controled and they DO give a damn. Cheaper then many by a  little but they are specifically set up to do the work.

You can do it yourself.. much like you can do the legal work on selling and buying a house yourself etc.. but there are traps for the novice.

Hope with what the guys are saying... & from alot of experience here.... this has been a bit more  help.....

Offline Sting 69

• Four Barrel
Shipping..
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2008, 08:17:19 AM »
Hey DemonX. Have you  heard any word about your vette. I have been emailing
and ringing Nick Smith but still no word.

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
Shipping..
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2008, 03:26:27 PM »
Originally posted by Sting 69
Hey DemonX. Have you  heard any word about your vette. I have been emailing
and ringing Nick Smith but still no word.

I called him last week. He said that it should be on the water this week (yeah, heard that before) and the delays were all in the USA  getting approvals or some sh#t like that.

I found that he rarely answers emails and that it's best to just call him.

Also - he just quoted a friend of mine $4k to move a Vette.
When the friend said that I only paid $3k Nick said, oh, that must be a typo. Who knows.

What about you - any word?

Offline c5vette

• Four Barrel
    • www.mrpinball.com.au
Shipping..
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 10:02:13 PM »
I bought my car March 15th
it was collected and shipped within 2 weeks and arrived today
7 weeks all up

4 weeks shipping and a few days in customs

I received a quote from the other company in LA they quoted $400 less, California Shipping so far no complaints and i have shipped several vehicles with them now.
2020 C8 Z51 Sebring Orange Stingray, Launch Edition

Offline Sting 69

• Four Barrel
Shipping..
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2008, 08:45:31 AM »
I got an email yesterday. He said that they were booking a container today and would know in a week for sure. I rang customs to check some costs. Basically I'll have to pay 10% GST on eveything I have spent to get the car to the Aussie port.
  As for the quarantine they charge $80 per half hour to inspect the car so they couldn't give me a definite price. So I guess I'll just have to wait like the rest of us.;ay