Author Topic: When did you first become interested in Corvettes?  (Read 5913 times)

Offline mention1

• Four Barrel
When did you first become interested in Corvettes?
« on: March 09, 2016, 09:33:29 PM »
Mine was when I was a teenager. They were so cool and like nothing else available in Oz.

I remember a movie called Cleopatra Jones who has a C3 and I think when ever she opened the doors, the Targa Tops would move upwards automatically about 45 degrees. Very COOL  :grin:

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
Re: When did you first become interested in Corvettes?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 10:28:32 PM »
I still have my first match box car  :thumb: 1968 /70  ish roaster! No windscreen  and sh#tty brown in color. Has cast wheel on it too  :grin:

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 11:29:12 PM »
When I was a young 12/13 year old.
A green 70/71/72, (I remember the grills in the guards), pulled up beside my dads Wolesely 24/80 when we where on the way to Gunnamatta Bay for the annual Water Board picnic. Pulled up beside us at a set of lights. I was hooked from that day on.
Funnily enough my cars original paint is Donnybrook Green :grin:
Losers always try their best. Winners get the girl.

Offline Lefty

• Lefty
  • Four Barrel
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 05:14:52 AM »
When I was a kid there was this show in tv called "the magician" with Bill bixby. He had a white corvette and his own plane. That got me hooked. I used to play squash at bel more courts and for a while there the car yard next door had a few vettes for sale.
I remember looking at them very closely on day. And of course that sealed the deal.
They also had a sign on the" don't touch unless you are nude"
Cheers
Lefty
79 vette

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 11:26:18 AM »
Ok you asked for it , it all started in 1960 i was 10 and a guy in Camden had a white c1 so awsome in those days . then in 1967 the local holden dealer had a 427 tripower manual in green . my mates and i thought it was from another planet absolutly never seen anything like it . In 1984 the same dealer had a red on red c4 9.5 inch wheels unbelieveable ( my 6 inch wheels on my corolla looked tiny ) and red on red . Then i buy a corvette fever mag (1981 ) again red on red on the back cover just had to have one ( but kids new house a business ) So 13 years latter and im talking to Joy about my dream car and she says just get one , didnt need to be tolled twice . A guy who imported vettes into Australia found one in Texas small rip in one seat , small ding in front right fender $5800  ( and that was the cheapest part of owning my vette ) anyway ive had her 23 years and have enjoyed every second and the friends we have made is the best part . Ray n Joy

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 05:56:10 PM »
This could be a book never mind a post here
1966 in looking at leaving school, finding a job etc,etc

One Saturday morning in standing in the news agent in corrimal  reading a us mag,
The  article is about a 67 427 C2 ,  5 odd thousand dollars , that was most of a house never mind a car.
I wanted one but reality of a job $36  a fortnight , it's was not going to happen.
April 67 I bought a new HR 161 , oh the lack of power.
I could not buy a vette so my cause of action turn the HR into a car that might  run hard against a vette.

So I buy a 5 lt out of a Holden  68 modle  and slot it in he HR, This is late 68,  faster yes quick no.
What next turbo it , lots of reading and experimenting and I have a Rajay turbo pulling through a 750 Holley.
12 lb boost methanol injection for cooling the charge,  does it go now YES.
I  said a book lol
As thing happen one gets used to the small. Block  , where to go BB 
I get a 396 bore it to 402 . All the best accessories of the time ,
By now there is a wife kids etc and thing go quit on the car front

Skip a few decades
I have not driven a petrol powered car for 30 odd years I'm on the net again reading about vettes and the wife say  for gods sake buy one.
Bfit 
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 06:42:45 PM »
Maureen  said buy one not 5 Bob  :lol:

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 06:25:01 PM »
I was about 8 years old. Every now and again when I was staying at my grandparents my grandfather would bring home a plastic kit and we would build it together. One day he brought a silver 63 vette.he wasnt very good at putting them together but I thought it was the best thing ever. Amazingly at fifty I still have the model.
I never really set my sights on owning one but at 18 I bought one of those 1/8 scale 65 fuelie kits. By now I was pretty good with my hands. I tubbed it and made a working rear suspension for it. It got lowered and a roll cage made. I painted it  Maroon.
I became that obsessed with making the model that my girlfriend at the time left me.
I saved for almost 20 years before I had the money to buy my 66. A good job that I got onto made it easier in the end to get the money together.
At almost 40 I found a 66 427 425hp coupe in qld. I flew up, handed the guy the cash and drove it all the way home with no plates on it.
Coincidently it was Milano Maroon like the model. I had ten years of fun in the car until an innatentive  older driver veered onto my side of the road and hit me head on. After 18 months of legal battling I still havent got a payout for the car or my injuries.
Right now the model is looking a whole lot better than my dream car.
Maybe in a couple of years I might sit my arse behind the wheel of another big block c2.

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 08:38:41 PM »
Chin up buddy, the good guys always win out at the end  :thumb:

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 06:25:13 AM »
I hope you are right. Its not looking like that at the moment.