Author Topic: Ride Height  (Read 4715 times)

Offline Englishman

• I'm new here
Ride Height
« on: July 15, 2013, 11:10:02 AM »
Hi Guys,
I have recently taken delivery of a 1980 Corvette Coupe that I bought 5 years ago as a chassis, since then it has been totally rebuilt by a guy in Bankstown. The car is basically a new vehicle and is powered by a 383ci Edelbrock Signature Series Engine number 80 of a 250 limited run. The transmission and rear axle have been beefed up to accomodate the extra Oomph. My query now is that I need to lift the ride height, at present the dimension from the bottom of the wheel rim to the highest point on the wheel arch is 580mm, which I am told is standard, and I am scraping the front airdam on the lowest of speedbumps. I have checked with my local Pedders here on the Central Coast to no avail, any suggestions and advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Peter

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
Re: Ride Height
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 11:50:48 AM »
Hi Englishman welcome .My 81 is 550 front and 580 rear and i dont have a problem with front spoiler . Do you have the original rubber spoiler? If you wish to raise the hight All springs at millperra can help you.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 03:25:20 PM »
this link will give you an idea of where it should be
http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011/04/c2-c3-corvette-ride-height-guide/
just look up your year.

this one is for a 74  but you will get a good idea of the earlier cars that were measured   to the under side of the chassis 
http://www.c3vr.com/member_pages/4401_4500/4427/specs.jpg

later cars are measured  to the bumpers   
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Englishman

• I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 11:41:07 AM »
Guys, Thanks for the responses. The measurement of 580mm was taken at the front wheel and I do have the original black rubber air dam below the fibre glass. This lower air dam has taken a bit of a beating so I am going to remove it although it does serve as an early warning system.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 05:10:30 PM »
If you want to lift the front end Peddders have a listing for C3 corvette front which are the same as Commodore rear springs so should only be a matter of buying something off the shelf here in Australia

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 12:13:26 PM »
I used lowered HQ springs from Fulcrum for my old 71 - perfect fit.  I would assume that you could get normal ride height HQ springs?

I agree - you should be able to buy off the shelf.  They may want to know current ride height, No of coils on current springs etc.

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 03:04:54 PM »
Hi Peter, welcome to the forum. What’s the clearance of the plastic air dam to the pavement & what rim size are you running?
Have you Pedders or standard springs in the car?
CLICK ME to see my albums.