Author Topic: turn indicator-where situated?  (Read 7114 times)

Offline jr20516v

turn indicator-where situated?
« on: March 28, 2004, 09:27:47 PM »
My indicators turn on however they dont blink so i guess its the indicator assembly
gone kaput...does anybody know where its situated?
Is the part a corvette only jobbie?

Cheers for any help,   JR

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 12:53:19 AM »
If the blinker doesn't flash when you indicate on either side you sound right to be guessing that the flasher unit has gone.  This is a generic item that is common to all cars, you should be able to get a replacement at your local car parts store.  If you can remove the under dash panels, find the flasher unit and plug a new one in you can do this job yourself.

In my experience, where the flasher unit is usually depends on who did your conversion.
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 09:20:03 AM »
 Put the hazards on and listen for the clicking of the relay and maybe the indicator relay will be close by, but as VO said where the flasher relay is depends on the converter.

Offline MR 69ER

• Four Barrel
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 12:10:59 PM »
Both you guy's are correct, but generally speaking most flasher units for the indicators are either plugged into the fuse panel under the dash or somewhere very close. (My money is on the fuse panel). I am not sure what model car we are talking about but if it is a C4 or later it could even be in the engine compartment rather than under the dash. Basically locate the main fuse panel first and you will see a round silver module that is about as round as a 20cent piece on the top and that will be your indicator flasher just pull on it to unplug and take with you to either repco or super cheap and you will get one over the counter.
Cheers
Steve:20:20:20

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 12:16:53 PM »
Steve is right.  If it is a C3 the hazard relay will be on the fuse panel.  My '77 had one there, the indicator relay was on the rh side footwell, and also an anti theft relay in the console for good measure!  I assumed if you posted here it is a C4.  Let us know when/where you find yours.

You can pick up any kind of relay over the counter.

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 11:49:33 PM »
On my '88 the turn indicator relay is beside the Vats and the interior light module, which are all behind the breadbox.

The hazard warning relay is behind the centre panel with an auxillary fuse block (original - it's marked in the Helms manual.) I got a replacement for the hazard relay at supercheap so should be nor probs.

If the flashers worked you could switch it on and hear where it is !!!!!

Sure it's not a fuse ? Usually one side goes first, unless it's fallen loose.

The RHD convertion can muck up the wiring, I have several things running off the interior light fuse for instance. I usually pull all the fuses one by one and see if any have blown.

Good luck

S'nut

Offline jr20516v

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 09:01:30 PM »
Thanx for your input guys...we finally found where it was...behind the steering column and also found the hazards over the other side...under the g/box.
Th flasher turned out to be a $15 part from a leccie store.
My indicators now work however i must have touched something else as the glovebox light is permanently on and my
c/locking doesnt work anymore. YIKES!!
              CHEERS JR