Author Topic: wiper door  (Read 5427 times)

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
wiper door
« on: June 18, 2013, 02:31:53 PM »
Has may one done a electric conversion for the wiper door. on early  C3
Looking for ideas
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Andysvette

• I'm new here
Re: wiper door
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 08:36:43 PM »
Hi Bfit,
I have done this conversion. It was about 20 years ago.
I got sick of the vacum problems & replaced the vacum actuator with a pop up headlight motor (from an RX7).
It activates when it detects voltage to the wiper motor to open the wiper door & never opens or closes too fast (or slow) avoiding trapping the wiper arm. I have been running this set up for a longtime have not had any problems.

Hope this helps.

I can take some photos if you would like.

:cheers:
Andy

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 10:00:13 PM »
Looking at small block 72 this morning there was 100mm clearance between rocker cover & wiper door actuator.I fitted a micro switch to replace the valve that is operated by wiper arm made something unreliable into a good set up

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 05:22:31 AM »
Andy
I would be interested to see how you went about that conversion .

I have 3mm clearance from tappet cover to the actuator .
I have already moved the actuator up to give even clearance between the tappet cover to  actuator and actuator and hood

I don't have a problem with how the vacumn door works
Just clearance to get the tappet cover off .
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 10:21:19 AM »
Welcome to the forum Andy, if you’re unsure how to post the pic’s you can send them to me and I’ll post them for you.

Committee5@nswcorvettes.com.au
CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 11:21:14 AM »
I'd be very interested in that setup also!  I have replaced all wiper parts and I still have some trouble.

Offline Andysvette

• I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 07:55:05 PM »
Thanks for the welcome 72Vet.

Bfit, I have posted a pic on the American forum. I am having trouble finding the pic on my pc, but I do have a link to the article on the US forum. I hope this doesn't go against forum rules.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-tech-performance/2582606-wiper-door-electric-conversion-questions-2.html

Regarding the clearance issue, have a look at page 1 of the post & you will see that someone else used a linear actuator. I am not sure how the limit swtiches worked on it, but I'm sure they will be able to offer advice.
When I installed mine, it was to overcome problems with the vacum system. There was no internet available then & information like we have now was a mere dream. Anyway, thats enough. It makes me feel old talking pre-internet.
BTW, my girl is a 71 convertible 454 manual. Clearance is always an issue.

Andy

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 08:12:40 PM »
Looking at small block 72 this morning there was 100mm clearance between rocker cover & wiper door actuator.I fitted a micro switch to replace the valve that is operated by wiper arm made something unreliable into a good set up

Hmmmm sound the fix Geoff

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 09:55:33 AM »
Bfit, I have posted a pic on the American forum. I am having trouble finding the pic on my pc, but I do have a link There was no internet available then & information like we have now was a mere dream. Anyway, thats enough. It makes me feel old talking pre-internet.
BTW, my girl is a 71 convertible 454 manual. Clearance is always an issue.

Andy

Mate old never  and Internet
Today's Internet is outdated tomorrow  that's redundancy for you

Nesestity is the mother of inversion
I like the idea of the motor
And the linier drive is compact  that is the way forward for me max clearance
I just have to find a suitable unit

Andy let have photo of the 71
We need more chromies
I am of the vintage  that remembers dick Tracy  as a cartoon in the morning paper ( morning paper. Long gone )
The Internet was not even a fantasy  never mind mobile phones
I am not keen on the modern electronically controls sh#t in cars
But it does make them more efficient and handle etc
My view is if you can't fix it your self don't go there. ( just my way of things )

I am getting of subject here
Andy welcome to the forum
Bfit

Winston Churchill

Offline Andysvette

• I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 06:35:03 PM »
Bfit, Thanks for the welcome.
To be honest, I was a member years ago & lost all my login details, so I "Re-Invented" myself.

Here is a photo of the wiper door conversion. I did this modification when I was about 19. (now 50) so it is a good solution.

[/URL]

There is a double pole double throw relay that supplies signal & power to the RX7 headlight motor. the relay senses when there is power to the wiper & instantly opens the door & wont shut the door until there is no more power going to the wiper.

I have bought another 2 motors & plan to do my headlights. (just as soon & I get a garage to work in).

Here is the car.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Cheers

Andy