Author Topic: Urgent Help Required - Need an independent assessment of a paint job  (Read 6724 times)

Offline black_flag

• Two Barrel
Hi,

I have a big problem and need your help. I had my 1970 vette painted some years ago and there are sink marks in it. The painter claims it's the fault of the body repairer etc...

I need to find an independent expert to head to the hunter valley to provide an assessment of the problem and what the cause might be.

Will pay all expenses etc.

Can anybody recommend an expert to evaluate the job?

Thanks very much. This is getting ridiculous.

Offline BOSCHVETTE

• Tri Powered
Re: Urgent Help Required - Need an independent assessment of a paint job
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 08:28:30 PM »
Post some photos and I will tell you straight away but ultimately it's going to be shrink back and every painter will blame the panel beater and vice versa. The way I see it though is the painter shouldn't paint over poorly prepped surfaces. So he is responsible.
Note all fibreglass cars are prone to this problemsooner or later and a trained eye will pic all repairs on all fibreglass cars sooner or later.
New toy about to breath life and we will have a strangle hold on the leadfoot forever 850hp 1150kg Australian sports sedan series here we come.
Z06 sports sedan about to be semi retired.
Old C4 weapon now retired to the garage
450 RWHP WITH MORE TORQUE THAN MUNDINE
BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE BOUGHT A BAG OF ROCKS TO A GUN FIGHT.....

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 09:42:48 PM »
3 Mildon Road Tuggerah NSW 2259 Australia Ph 61 2 4353 0744 Fax 61 2 4353 0822 email ,this is concourse sportscar restorations,ask for gavin,they are very very good with panel and panel

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 11:20:07 PM »
Black Flag: check your private messages.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline black_flag

• Two Barrel
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 09:02:03 AM »
Post some photos and I will tell you straight away but ultimately it's going to be shrink back and every painter will blame the panel beater and vice versa. The way I see it though is the painter shouldn't paint over poorly prepped surfaces. So he is responsible.
Note all fibreglass cars are prone to this problemsooner or later and a trained eye will pic all repairs on all fibreglass cars sooner or later.

Thanks mate. The body work was spot on and IMO, the painter should never have accepted the job if he wasn't happy with it in the first place. No pics to post, sorry.

If you can recommend someone, it would be much appreciated.

Offline black_flag

• Two Barrel
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 09:03:47 AM »
3 Mildon Road Tuggerah NSW 2259 Australia Ph 61 2 4353 0744 Fax 61 2 4353 0822 email ,this is concourse sportscar restorations,ask for gavin,they are very very good with panel and panel

Thanks. I called them yesterday and I'm waiting to hear back. Not sure if they're gonna be keen to provide a report. Everyone I've spoken to doesn't want to get involved.

Bloody tough situation.

Offline black_flag

• Two Barrel
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 08:29:11 AM »
have tried a number of people to provide a report, but all are unwilling to do so.

if anybody else knows somebody, please let me know.

thanks,

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 09:11:45 AM »
have tried a number of people to provide a report, but all are unwilling to do so.

if anybody else knows somebody, please let me know.

thanks,

Mate try your insurance company
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 08:37:33 PM »
As boschevette said ultimately the repair in fiberglass will show. It simply moves too much.
If it was poorly repaired say by using spray fillers to fill the sanding marks then I reckon you could go back to the repairer.
Also if the painter really turned the heat up in the booth that could make the repair move.
Ive done a lot of repairs on boats both glass and glass covered wood. Over wood the paint always shrinks back showing the woven roving pattern.
Andys restorations on this forum posted a whole section on repairing and painting fiberglass. He would leave each product on for months to harden before moving to the next stage.
Not really practical when a customer wants their car.