Author Topic: Side pipes for 69  (Read 4890 times)

Offline raafrebel

• Four Barrel
Side pipes for 69
« on: May 20, 2013, 07:22:41 PM »
Does anyone know or recomend anyone who has fitted Hooker headers and side pipes?? Is this a job i could do in my shed?? I do have a hoiste. or do i need to take it to a exhaust person

Dan

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
Re: Side pipes for 69
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 08:10:12 PM »
You will never never know
If you don't give it a go
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline bazzas77

• Two Barrel
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 07:39:26 PM »
as long as yours is still LHD they should go on easily enough, my c3 didnt have aircon to worry about so all i needed was to raise the front up a bit to get some clearance to slide both headers up from below and they fit ok , i had a helper but with some blocks to rest them on it could be done solo. BUT i did have the startermotor off for other reasons at the time and watch out for  the temp sender unit in the head. this was a small block auto as well .

Offline bazzas77

• Two Barrel
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 07:57:21 PM »
OOOHHH i just read you have a BB tripower so i presume its a manual , ifso the Z bar will have to come off which isnt hard to do . heres a pic of my 69 , i reckon they look so cool

[imghttp://][/img]

[imghttp://][/img]

Offline raafrebel

• Four Barrel
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 08:43:19 PM »
Bazzas77, yes i do have a stick shift tri power, and i have a hoist, so from a previous post, i am gona give it a go! Do you have the packing inside yours or just a free run?? I got a fair bit of ther work to do first , but i have the pipes sitting in line waiting to go on and cant wait!!

Offline bazzas77

• Two Barrel
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 02:30:09 AM »
well then , the BB was actually easier to do than the SB. I had mine on my 4 poster and it was on the ground ! make sure its central on the ramps ( my starter motor was off on this one as well ) and they slide in from underneath .

When i got it , it had the hooker straight through muffler tube which is a hole about 1 5/8 ? (from memory ) sounded OK (it went over the pits with them !!!) but kinda restrictive so i tried to pull them out but they were stuck so i made new side pipes and put some sweet thunder 2.5 inch (hole-straight through) in them , amazing differance , really made a differance to performance but WAY TO NOISY for the fun police  .

So i put these sound reducing cone thingees on the front

i also drilled about a thousand holes in the muffler tube and wrapped it with steel wool and fibreglass packing and forced it all back in the pipe and it sounded pretty good.

i welded a nut(s) to the muffler end cone to bolt the perforated cone to it, i added a spacer between the two cones so its not so restrictive as well

so to answer your question its too loud (for me anyway)to run open pipes as it hurts my ears after a few minutes :lol:

Offline raafrebel

• Four Barrel
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 06:51:12 PM »
Cool. Yea i need to fill the hole as my ears are f#cked from using jack hammers and racing motorcycles. Im looking at a few options from the states, but cant wait! the pipes are BAD ASS!!!!
There is a company called sweet thunder that says it can make me up some inserts for a couple hundred a side

Offline bazzas77

• Two Barrel
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 07:39:14 PM »
Yep ,thats what i have  , mine are the 2.5 inch inserts but im sure i didnt pay that  much !!!

Offline 68rat

• Two Barrel
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 08:47:18 AM »
They are so easy to put on it's not funny, The hardest part is taking the body of :rol: :rol:

1968 L36
1969 454

Offline bazzas77

• Two Barrel
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 11:03:20 AM »
Hey you got your new awesome sump on that rat yet 68rat?  :cheers:

Offline 68rat

• Two Barrel
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 11:51:05 AM »
waiting for the 2 pickups to come from summit, didn't no wich one to get so i purchased both :thumb:
1968 L36
1969 454

Offline bazzas77

• Two Barrel
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
roger that :thumb: