Author Topic: Tyre pressures  (Read 3924 times)

Offline 72C3

• Two Barrel
Tyre pressures
« on: January 09, 2013, 02:05:22 PM »
My 72 has Goodyear eagles, 245/65/15's (I think) on it.  What is the recommened pressure for these tyres.  The tyre placard does not cater to these types of tyres.

Offline anychevy

• Four Barrel
Re: Tyre pressures
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 02:24:59 PM »
I would put at least 30-35psi all round, depending on driving style and comfort.

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 01:10:54 PM »
 :agree:

I think the factory recommended pressure would be around 28psi.  Pretty much all manufacturers recommended pressures 5-8 psi below optimum efficiency / performance due to comfort.

I run at least 30-35 on a C3 depending on the age of the tyre.  I wouldn't put a lot of pressure in an 8 year old tyre.  If they are new just go by the max pressure on the sidewall.

Offline 72C3

• Two Barrel
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 10:01:51 PM »
Heres the issue.  Just importd the car, tyres look brand new but the date stamp says they were made in 98.  Rubber is hard as a rock and I am not game to take it anywhere where it is going to rain .

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 10:03:16 AM »
Like 90% of C3's out there!   :wink:  (including mine!)

I'd put 30 psi in....and don't drive it in the rain. 

:cheers:

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 11:02:55 AM »
just go by the max pressure on the sidewall.

The max. pressure on the sidewall isn't a good indicator of what you should inflate them to, it's the suggested max. pressure for the tyre itself.

The pressure you want depends on your car hence why manufacturers suggest tyre pressures, they take into account the weight, suspension, etc. and what tyres they did all the tests on.

Since new tyre compounds have been invented since your car was produced, you can inflate to the tyre's max. pressure then adjust it according to your driving style, it will probably feel right somewhere between the manufacturer's suggested pressure and the max. pressure of the tyre.

s