Author Topic: C6 post conversion issues  (Read 5565 times)

Offline jagsy

• Tri Powered
  • Mood: Always happy
  • Car: 2008 Z06 Jetstream Blue
C6 post conversion issues
« on: November 14, 2012, 05:17:15 PM »
Hi
I thought the following info would be useful for readers who have or are thinking about getting a C6 (whether its converted or not) to make them aware of potential issues post the conversion process. I would have found it useful reading (this is my first car I have had that's been converted) and I believe raising awareness is an important thing.

The issues I have had may not be common to others so I hope others include their issues again to raise awareness and for owners (or future owners) to be able to watch out for.

My first issue was the battery carking itself. This happened 2 days after driving the car home over 750km's after conversion. What I think happens is - a 3 or 4 year old battery sits idle for months during shipping and conversion and then is subject to 8/9 hours of charging on its first journey. It just kills the battery. The exact same thing happened to mate with a 2007 Mustang.

My second issue was a significant power steering leak. Luckily the car was in my garage and I was just running the engine after I had been away for a few weeks. Turned out to be the return hose to the power steering reservoir which was not secure in the car and was free enough to move and it did move into the pulley/belt system which cut a hole in the hose. My mechanic said it was poor quality control/rushed workmanship in the conversion process (Performax were the converters).

My third issue was a recall by Performax. This was to refit the accelerator pedal to the car floor rather than through the Dynomat insulation. Performax say its not a safety recall, but I would have been worried if on a long drive I discovered the accelerator came away from the floor (especially during spirited driving   :drag:)!! The sad thing about this issue is that Performax won't pay me the full amount it cost me to get the recall repaired. The reason they won't pay me the full amount is that they say my mechanic took quite a bit longer to repair the recall work than they allowed for!!! Agreed my mechanic did take longer than what Performax has allowed for, but this was the first time my mechanic had ever worked on a Corvette. Note - a good reliable mechanic in small rural town is hard to come by - the one I use is very reliable, genuine and charges reasonable rates. Performax even accused my that it was my fault that my mechanic overcharged me. A tad unfair don't you think!!!!!

Only other issue is when driving you often get pedestrians or drivers of other vehicles displaying open mouth's of wonder or are mouthing "WTF"  :grin:

Regards

Richard

Offline Ben

• Four Barrel
Re: C6 post conversion issues
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 10:40:48 PM »
Thanks Jagsy will check all this out

Offline coradict72

• Four Barrel
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 05:22:30 PM »
Do we have any new south wales converters
if we dont then we should drive these cars as first made,lhd
Why rely on another state for compliance
they  p'max have you by the you know whats.
 I drive a converted vette and yuk it was a small outlay
but $40k plus is kinda silly as it will depreciate instantly by that much
and worth nothing virtually to return it back to the usa think about it
Have a nice day

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 07:27:10 AM »
this company is worth a look at for an alternative
http://www.crossovercarconversions.com.au/
bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Steeler

• Four Barrel
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 09:39:04 AM »

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 09:45:46 AM »
Craig Dean Of crossover has a C7 on order
I would think some of the other RAWS dealers would also have C7 on order
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline VETTENUT

• Fuel Injected
  • Mood: Absolutely fantastic
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 09:56:08 AM »
Both Performax and Corvette Clinic have taken delivery of a C7.
The first hurdle is preparing the test car for Aust compliance and signing off by federal transport dept. Then they will be authorised to convert C7's.
Now living the dream in God's country!

Offline Ben

• Four Barrel
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 02:05:37 AM »
I think I will  get Performax to whack a new battery in from the get go and be done with it.
I will also go over the engine bay with a fine tooth comb and ping them for anything i think is dodgey, I am pretty good in that sense in what to look for and what can go wrong on stuff like that, shouldn't have to considering spending 45K min on conversion it should be bloody smick.
thanks again for the heads up Jagsy, good to know