Author Topic: Roundabouts  (Read 6435 times)

Offline Camo

• Jethro is my nemesis
  • Administrator
  • Supercharged
  • Joe Pappas Missile Builder
  • Car: 77. 355 ci 400hp
Roundabouts
« on: November 06, 2012, 10:34:14 AM »
There has been a lot of hype recently about the roundabouts.

Here is a link to the sites page detailing what you should do http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/usingroads/roadrules/roundabouts.html

"The roundabout sign
The roundabout sign means Slow Down, prepare to Give Way and if necessary stop to avoid a collision.

So, as you're approaching a roundabout, you must get into the correct lane, indicate if turning, and give way to traffic already on the roundabout.

Enter the roundabout when there is a safe gap in the traffic.

Giving way
Slow down as you approach a roundabout. You must give way to traffic already on the roundabout if there is a risk of collision. Enter the roundabout when there is a safe gap in the traffic.

These give way rules also apply to roundabouts with traffic lights which are not operating or only partly operating.

Indicating
When approaching a roundabout, you must give sufficent warning to other road users of your intention to turn left or right by indicating as you approach the roundabout.

When exiting a roundabout, whether you are turning left, right or even going straight ahead, you must always indicate a left turn just before you exit, unless it is not practical to do so.

Single lane roundabouts
The rules for slowing down, giving way and indicating when approaching and exiting at roundabouts are the same for single lane and multi-lane roundabouts.

Cyclists and roundabouts
At roundabouts with two or more marked lanes or lines of traffic, a cyclist has the option of turning right by entering the roundabout from either left or right lanes. However, if the cyclist chooses to enter from the left lane, the cyclist must take care to give way to any vehicle leaving the roundabout.

Going left
Slow down and prepare to give way as you approach the roundabout.
On approach you must be in the left lane unless otherwise marked on the road, and indicate a left turn.
You must give way to traffic already on the roundabout if there is any risk of a collision.
Stay in the left lane.
Keep your left indicator on until you have exited the roundabout.

Going right
On approach you must be in the right lane unless otherwise marked on the road, and indicate a right turn.
You must give way to traffic already on the roundabout if there is any risk of a collision.
Stay in the right lane.
You must indicate a left turn just before your exit unless it is not practical to do so.

Going straight ahead
On approach you can be in either lane, unless otherwise marked on road.
When going straight ahead you do not need to indicate on approach.
You must give way to traffic already on the roundabout if there is any risk of collision.
You must indicate a left turn just before you exit unless it is not practical to do so."

Failing to signal penalty: Two demerit points and $165.

Not giving way at a roundabout will cost you three demerit points and a $253 fine.

Nothing seems to be any different to what it always has been.

Of interest though is this grey area.....

"Indicating
When approaching a roundabout, you must give sufficent warning to other road users of your intention to turn left or right by indicating as you approach the roundabout.

When exiting a roundabout, whether you are turning left, right or even going straight ahead, you must always indicate a left turn just before you exit, unless it is not practical to do so."

What I want to know is who defines what is practical and what is not practical?

Time, The Predator That Stalks Us All

Black is not a colour, it's a life style

Offline anychevy

• Four Barrel
Re: Roundabouts
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 01:58:36 PM »
When exiting a roundabout, whether you are turning left, right or even going straight ahead, you must always indicate a left turn just before you exit, unless it is not practical to do so

This still makes absolutely no sense to me at all  :grr:

Offline MADVET

• Tri Powered
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 08:14:18 PM »

When exiting a roundabout, whether you are turning left, right or even going straight ahead, you must always indicate a left turn just before you exit, unless it is not practical to do so."

Well it's not very practical if you're on the phone :smile: :bolt:
NOW WE'RE TORQUING!

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 09:25:52 PM »
Back in 1998 I visited Albany in Western Australia.  The town doesn't have traffic lights only roundabouts and they were doing this back then.

Admittedly it was the weirdest thing, seeing cars going straight ahead and indicating left when exiting.

Personally...... I think it's horsesh#t.

Rule no. 1 - you give way to drivers in the roundabout therefore it shouldn't matter if they indicate or not when exiting.

If someone is indicating left and you think they're going to exit but they don't actually exit and you enter the roundabout and hit them, you can't prove they were indicating so it's still your fault because you didn't give way to them.

s

Offline Camo

• Jethro is my nemesis
  • Administrator
  • Supercharged
  • Joe Pappas Missile Builder
  • Car: 77. 355 ci 400hp
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 09:36:58 PM »
Well it's not very practical if you're on the phone :smile: :bolt:

:lol:
Time, The Predator That Stalks Us All

Black is not a colour, it's a life style

Offline RJ7868

• Tri Powered
    • http://www.rustys.com.au
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 06:26:09 PM »
What do you do in a 5-way? When there is no "Going straight ahead" from Pacific Hwy North side heading south.

Skype Username: rusdeb

Offline coradict72

• Four Barrel
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 10:27:14 PM »
The right idea of a roundabout was the same as if leaving a carpark,drive in,or sporting event
and that was my turn then your turn and so on in an orderly fashion.I have sat stould at a rounderbout
giving way to my right non collision rule number1 for 35+ cars all speeding so I dont get the chance
with 8 cars behind me saying what the f&^K are you doing "texting" maybe I dont know the rules anymore.
it really was you me you me but its undrvable.yes you lost your license sir to common sense.

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
The right idea of a roundabout was the same as if leaving a carpark,drive in,or sporting event
and that was my turn then your turn and so on in an orderly fashion.

The way I was taught was give way to vehicles on the right, if you notice a roundabout sign, it's within a 'give way' red triangle.

Nowadays they say give way to all vehicles in the roundabout but if a vehicle has just entered on your left to go around clockwise, it's usually a struggle to wait to see if it'll do a complete U-turn to pass you.

s

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 12:35:36 PM »
You have to give way to vehicles already on the roundabout.  If you plod on in at 10k's and a car shoots in from the right at 60 after you are already on the roundabout and t-bones you, you are in the right. 
It's not just a 'give way to your right' case.

Aussie drivers, being in many cases barely qualified to drive and with below average knowledge of the road rules, will assume they are in the right, and blast horn/abuse you to let you know that you 'stuffed up'.

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 12:48:38 PM »
a car shoots in from the right at 60 after you are already on the roundabout and t-bones you

If you're plodding along at 10km/hr and you see a car to your right screaming towards the roundabout, you give way to the faster car just like at any give way. 

If you're already in the roundabout and it hits you because it was going too fast it'd be their fault just like any rear ender.

... in my opinion.

s