Author Topic: Number plates  (Read 5234 times)

Offline 72C3

• Two Barrel
Number plates
« on: October 31, 2012, 04:35:31 PM »
Hi everyone.  Finally got the car and it is registered.  Needs some tuning but that will get done shortly.  Long slow trip from the USA mustn't have agreed with it.  Got my personalised plates for the car and they are basically the same size as the old Five letter plates, so they fit in the rear plate area perfectly.  Problem is the plate holes do not line up, there are two holes on the plates and the screw for attachment to the body is approximately in between these two hole.  Do I simply drill two more hole or will doing this result in weakening and possible cracking of the plate.  In addition, I have no idea how to attach the front plate as there is nothing within the area that the front plate fits.  If you need to have a look here are some picture for you to understand what I am on about.

http://www.sevenhillsmotorcars.com/inventory/corvette_1972_coupe_sunflower_black_1z37k2s507715/corvette.htm

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
Re: Number plates
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 10:24:10 AM »
Do I simply drill two more hole or will doing this result in weakening and possible cracking of the plate. 

Yes you just drill extra holes in the plate.  The plate isn't subject to any significant movement so you can drill to your hearts content and turn the plate into swiss cheese if you want before any weakening would affect it.

I was lucky to receive the US plates with my car so used it as a template for the drilling so best you make up a cardboard template of your plate and mark up the holes on the car onto it, then you can attach the template to check your plate will fit nice and square, you don't want it looking crooked.

Mine came with plastic inserts for the screw holes that the screws would screw into, not sure how it is for your model, someone else here may know what's best.

s

Offline 72C3

• Two Barrel
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 12:06:53 AM »
Drilled some holes in the plates and everything looks fine.  Now I have the dilema of mounting the front plate.  They must be the exact width as american plates but there is nothing to mount them on.
http://www.sevenhillsmotorcars.com/inventory/corvette_1972_coupe_sunflower_black_1z37k2s507715/gallery/pages/013shm507715.htm

This link will show you what I mean.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks

Stu.
I should be able to make the meeting on Tuesday night if that helps

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 08:39:13 AM »
It looks like you're missing these:

s

That’s the one

Have a look at the link. Its shows how the plate bracket bolts to the Front brace for the bar
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/diagram/view/index/id/116/

The Pic’s are pretty ordinary but will give you an idea. 

CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline 72C3

• Two Barrel
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 08:34:04 PM »
That for that guys.  I will try and get them as soon as I can manage it.

Offline yellow fever 454

• Two Barrel
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 06:33:24 AM »
Hi Stu,

I have an original bracket of a 1972 if you are interested I can bring it to the meeting if you are coming.

Cheers Bob.

Offline 72C3

• Two Barrel
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 04:51:26 AM »
Bob,
That would be great.  I will see you there tonight

Offline 72C3

• Two Barrel
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 05:08:28 PM »
Thank you Bob for bringing those in for me. Bracket is now on the car and the plates fit perfectly.