Author Topic: Massive increase in the number of mobile speed cameras in NSW  (Read 5266 times)

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
"There will be a massive increase in the number of mobile speed cameras on New South Wales roads but more warnings for motorists, under an overhaul announced today by the State Government.

The government's new speed camera strategy would see the number of mobile speed camera vehicles increase from 6 to 45 which will cover about 2,500 locations across the state.

But there will be double the number of warning signs for speed and red light safety cameras, and they will be much larger.

From now on all the revenue raised from the cameras will be ploughed back into road safety.

The plan has been backed by police and the NRMA."

It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline anychevy

• Four Barrel
Massive increase in the number of mobile speed cameras in NSW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 10:44:45 AM »
Quote from: gtc link=topic=9248.msg1045942925#msg1045942925
"There will be a massive increase in the number of mobile speed cameras on New South Wales roads but more warnings for motorists

Most fixed cameras are set @ 10% (+2 ks on some) over the speed limit, so if they stick to that and give us as much warning as they say they will,
I'm o.k. with it as long as they are placed in "black spots" and the money goes where it's supposed to.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 04:20:06 PM »
Despite what politicians say, at the end of the day it's all about the revenue. If it weren't about the revenue, then they would simply add demerit points to your licence.

These contracted mobile camera operators present a business case to the government based on what is essentially projected net profit from their operations. We seem to be rapidly heading down the same road as QLD and VIC where private operators essentially run the traffic fines business for the government.

As I recall, O'Farrell made lots of noise about Labor's revenue raising when these mobile cameras were introduced. Now that he's actually got to do something about the budget fiasco in NSW, it's a different tune.

And they always say the money goes to road safety but when the proverbial hits the financial fan it's been treated as consolidated revenue to be used to cover budget overruns and deficits in any area.

I'd love to see the NSW Auditor General actually reconcile every mobile camera fine dollar received against designated road safety expenditure over the next year.

Meanwhile, watch your speed, especially on those long Sydney downhill runs.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 02:37:19 PM »
Yeh you wouldn't mind if the projected revenue raised was actually plowed into fixing a problem like joining the F3 - M2 on the north or build the F6 on the south or completing the F4 instead of environmental impact studies  on the effect on  the pink bull frog

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 09:35:03 PM »
Im over it all. I got fined in melbourne doing 101 in a 100 zone. I do around a thousand KM per week. The odds of me getting booked and losing my licence are greater than ever (ive already lost it once). I drive like a granny most of the time. I get abused and have lots of near misses from frustrated speeding drivers.
If the roads are that unsafe when we speed how come there isnt an accident at every street corner for all the people doing 80 or 90 in a 60 zone.
Try freeway driving where everybody is sticking to the 100k speed limit and sitting besides trucks too scared to over take in case they go over banking up the traffic behind and creating another potential disaster.
Man I hate living in this country. Its getting worse and worse.
Ive tasted driving in other countries like Europe.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 01:27:16 PM »
.... and to top it off:

"SPEEDING fines will be increased in Tuesday's state budget as the government tries to claw back $5.4 billion in lost GST revenue and create future budget surpluses.

Drivers caught doing less than 10km/h over the limit will be fined $105 (up from $93). Fines rise from $216 to $243 for being 10-20km/h over the limit and those doing 20-30km/h over the limit will face a $417 penalty, up from $371.

Fines for driving 30km/h to 45km/h over the limit will go from $710 to $799 while those clocked at more than 45km an hour over the limit will be hit with a $2154 penalty, up from $1915.

Premier Barry O'Farrell said the 12.5 per cent increase was not simply "revenue raising" because the money was going towards road safety programs."

Note again, it's not revenue raising. LOL!

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 01:32:56 PM »
Quote from: bootlegger link=topic=9248.msg1045943020#msg1045943020
Im over it all. I got fined in melbourne doing 101 in a 100 zone.

Was that by one of their contractor-operated mobile speed cameras?

Offline RHD.68.l89

• Four Barrel
    • www.invisiblecarbras.com.au
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 03:57:03 PM »
 Victoria used to be called "The Garden State" Many of of my friends now call it "The Police State"  Speed cameras are set to 1kmh over the limit with a 2% tolerance so going 103 kmh (in a 100kmh zone obviously) will get you a ticket for 101.
I believe in NSW they have to post signs where a speed camera is set up. None of that in Victoria. We keep our eyes out for ANY car parked on the side of the road. Don't get me started on the so called "Hoon" laws.
 A GPS with fixed camera notifications is your friend.....

Offline RHD.68.l89

• Four Barrel
    • www.invisiblecarbras.com.au
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 04:02:32 PM »
Most of you have sampled driving in the US, freeways posted at 65mph and all the traffic, including the cops, travelling at 75-85mph. they pull over the ones who are not doing the same as everyone else, faster, weaving in and out of lanes, not keeping right (my pet peeve here). Basically the ones who are dangerous to everyone else.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 04:03:12 PM »
Quote from: bootlegger link=topic=9248.msg1045943020#msg1045943020
Im over it all. I got fined in melbourne doing 101 in a 100 zone. I do around a thousand KM per week. The odds of me getting booked and losing my licence are greater than ever (ive already lost it once). I drive like a granny most of the time. I get abused and have lots of near misses from frustrated speeding drivers.
If the roads are that unsafe when we speed how come there isnt an accident at every street corner for all the people doing 80 or 90 in a 60 zone.
Try freeway driving where everybody is sticking to the 100k speed limit and sitting besides trucks too scared to over take in case they go over banking up the traffic behind and creating another potential disaster.
Man I hate living in this country. Its getting worse and worse.
Ive tasted driving in other countries like Europe.

I think that would be a arguable point 101 in 100 zone
A motor vehicle odometer would have to be calibrated regularly to  be with in 5%
now  would you have it calibrated to 60Km/H
or 100km/H
as its impossible to be accurate   at both readings

I would challenge that in court
I think a well written letter would see you out of that one

If  a letter does not do the trick get the media involved
and at least stir up some S--t

you would all see your insurance going up every year
that would be a point that the speeding fine are no working
Now not all accident are the result of speeding
But a dam good percentage  has speed and a contributing factor.
As well as age and lack of experience combined with alcohol .
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 07:49:48 PM »
I have no idea what it was that booked me. I know I could have fought it but I was driving a borrowed car and my mate presented me with the fine. Im in sydney so the time energy and effort plus the fact that it wasnt my car made it just easier and cheaper to pay it.

Victoria is shocking my mates son just lost his licence for abusing a woman at a set of lights for changing lanes on him in his truck. He nearly ran up her arse. Now he doesnt have a job anymore.

I was in adelaide a few weeks ago and saw two seperate rear end accidents at lights fitted with red light cameras.
This whole deal doesnt make the roads safer. Teaching people to be better drivers does.

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 07:52:31 PM »
I have no idea what it was that booked me. I know I could have fought it but I was driving a borrowed car and my mate presented me with the fine. Im in sydney so the time energy and effort plus the fact that it wasnt my car made it just easier and cheaper to pay it.

Victoria is shocking my mates son just lost his licence for abusing a woman at a set of lights for changing lanes on him in his truck. He nearly ran up her arse. Now he doesnt have a job anymore.

I was in adelaide a few weeks ago and saw two seperate rear end accidents at lights fitted with red light cameras.
This whole deal doesnt make the roads safer. Teaching people to be better drivers does.

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 07:52:45 PM »