Author Topic: stupid questions time  (Read 8225 times)

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
stupid questions time
« on: May 11, 2012, 01:02:59 AM »
So it's time to do some maintanance on the old beast and I'm trying to weigh up all my options re: bits and pieces that I need. Have done a tonne of googling but as usual it's hard to find good solid information regarding an American car in the land of Oz, especially with regards to the following:
1. I assume running with a Ryco z24 is ok (and I won't need ac delco)?
2. Apparently I should get an oil with ZDDP (zinc) added, which on one hand saves the camshaft but on the other clogs the cat. What oil are people here running on their late 70's / early 80's c3? I hadn't thought too hard about it before but am realising more and more how many things on the car it can affect if you do (or don't) run the right oil.
3. I need a new air filter and new spark plug leads, are there options in AUS we can use or am I going to have to bring them in from the USA?
4. Time to replace the windscreen, is it something I can just take to a normal windscreen shop or do I need to go custom?

And that's all for now. Any assistance is definitely appreciated!

Matt

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
stupid questions time
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 08:40:34 AM »
Ryco or Valvoline are fine
What's a cat converter? :grin:
Plenty of air filters?  Leads can be made here - just measure them.
Plenty of windscreens - someone will chime in.

:beer:

Offline RHD.68.l89

• Four Barrel
    • www.invisiblecarbras.com.au
stupid questions time
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 04:33:02 PM »
The ZDDP doesn't "clog" the converter, it does coat the catylst and render the cat ineffective but it won't block it. And yes, your car is not required to have cats.
Z24 or equivalent.
I use diesel oil as it usually has higher ZDDP.
take the old air filter and plugs down to the supercheap or autobarn. They will have a chart to find an equivalent plug to the one you have been using.  Just compare the air cleaner until you find one the same.
Have heard the aussie made screens don't fit too well and to make sure you get a US one.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
stupid questions time
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 04:57:37 PM »
Be carefully if you go to a diesel engine oil
Especially if it has a lot of hours on it .
Diesel lubricant is highly detergent and can strip all the build up out of your engine  which will start it burning oil .
Not a good out come
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
stupid questions time
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 05:34:35 PM »
I was at Repco today looking at oil for my falcon, there are plenty of options with Zinc in them that aren't for diesel engines, so will probably run with one of those. Will post back what I end up using.
Spark plugs are no issue, have replaced them before, last year, but one is fouling up very quickly so I'm trying to find out what's going wrong. Hence saying I want to replace the leads.
Will take the filter down there though, that was basically my next option. Will post back in here what I discover.

Offline Camo

• Jethro is my nemesis
  • Administrator
  • Supercharged
  • Joe Pappas Missile Builder
  • Car: 77. 355 ci 400hp
stupid questions time
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 08:20:07 PM »
I use a Penrite oil which has the zinc additive http://www.penriteoil.com.au/index.php  

I believe their HPR 30 is the highest content in ZDDP in Australia. I have heard that people have found this is the most suitable for older generation big bore V8's with flat tappet cams.  Obviously if you have a roller cam  then you may need to look at a different grade/type of oil but I personally would stick with one of the Penrite products whatever you use.

I would can open your old oil filter, unroll the paper like membrane and have a look for any foreign material.  Always a good indication on whats going on inside the motor.  I personally do this at every oil change. Foul plug could be a sign of either worn oil rings or valve guides or valve guide seals.
Time, The Predator That Stalks Us All

Black is not a colour, it's a life style

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
stupid questions time
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
Zinc DialkylDithioPhosphate is an additive that is in most engine oils
To reduce wear thought out the engine .

Done get to carried away with what's in your engine oil
it comes from the manufacture ready to use
 just get the correct viscosity, and type For your usage.

Remember   That the oil has three functions in the engine .
Lubrication.
Cooling .
Cleaning.

Bfit
This link may help
http://www.caltex.com.au/PRODUCTSANDSERVICES/LUBRICANTS/Pages/OilFinder.aspx
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
stupid questions time
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 08:49:46 PM »
Just found a bit of info in another forum on the oil situation.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/1978-corvette-l82-oil-question-135110.html

And yeah, I was looking at a Penrite today, I reckon that's the one I'll probably end up getting.

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
stupid questions time
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 08:54:44 PM »
And re: the windscreen, may just have to not fix it if it's going to blow out the costs. It's not a problem (ie. still passes pinky) but it's just an annoyance and a bit ugly if you get right up close. Though that said, most people don't see it till I point it out to them.

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
stupid questions time
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 09:13:52 AM »
Quote from: Admin link=topic=9209.msg1045942747#msg1045942747

Foul plug could be a sign of either worn oil rings or valve guides or valve guide seals.

:agree:  with Cam.

I had a Mini with the same symptoms, ended up using a hotter plug in the cylinder that was crook. Only a band-aid solution.
CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
stupid questions time
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 08:00:15 PM »
Ralph Moore has windscreens usually in stock, not sure of price, I think it depends on US made or asian?
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
stupid questions time
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 05:53:51 PM »
Quote from: 72vet link=topic=9209.msg1045942752#msg1045942752

Foul plug could be a sign of either worn oil rings or valve guides or valve guide seals.

I had a Mini with the same symptoms, ended up using a hotter plug in the cylinder that was crook. Only a band-aid solution.

How do I go about working out whether that's the reason or not? Is it worth buying just a single hotter plug and putting it in and seeing? And if that is the problem, how long is it likely to work for with the hotter plug before it plays up and needs a proper fix?

Quote from: 69 DIRTY RAT link=topic=9209.msg1045942754#msg1045942754
Ralph Moore has windscreens usually in stock, not sure of price, I think it depends on US made or asian?

I spoke to a guy years ago about buying a windscreen, maybe it was this same guy... Is he located in sydney? I think he wanted about $250-300 for one.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
stupid questions time
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 08:58:06 PM »
Must have been a lot of years ago I had one put in at O'Briens Mascot about 10 years ago cost me $550  supply & fit with staff discount you should of grabbed him

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
stupid questions time
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 10:07:51 PM »
Quote from: Mattrix link=topic=9209.msg1045942777#msg1045942777

I spoke to a guy years ago about buying a windscreen, maybe it was this same guy... Is he located in sydney? I think he wanted about $250-300 for one.

I think he's in Mascot as well?
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline Benandsally

• Two Barrel
stupid questions time
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 07:47:21 AM »
I hit the wrong button (Fixed. Kind Regards Admin)

I paid $540 last year

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
stupid questions time
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 05:34:32 PM »
Quote from: Mattrix link=topic=9209.msg1045942777#msg1045942777
Quote from: 72vet link=topic=9209.msg1045942752#msg1045942752

How do I go about working out whether that's the reason or not? Is it worth buying just a single hotter plug and putting it in and seeing? And if that is the problem, how long is it likely to work for with the hotter plug before it plays up and needs a proper fix?

So I checked and supercheap have the BPR6 FS plugs in stock, which is the slightly hotter version of the BPR5 FS I'm running. Is it worth just buying a full set of the 6's and running them in place of all the 5's I'm running at the moment? (My engine doesn't run real hot, it's quite a moderate temp.) Or is it worth replacing leads first, replacing the foul plug, and seeing if it all works, before going to such an extreme?

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
stupid questions time
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 07:49:39 PM »
On the issue of running on less cylinders, I found one of the leads had a crack in it and was shorting on the block. Replaced it, and it's still running on less cylinders, but it turns out it was running on 6cyl before... no wonder it felt like an absolute pig. Running on 7 now and will be replacing the rest of the leads within the next couple of weeks.
Which leads me to... Plenty of new parts are now on their way! Corvette Central posted a whole bunch of odds and sods for my car (including some AC Delco plugs, as well as some new arm rests), can't wait to have them all in my possession, and then can't wait to have time to put them all in. But then I'm just one step closer to selling it... Good and a bad thing really.

Matt

Offline MADVET

• Tri Powered
stupid questions time
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 08:00:46 PM »
A handy tip i discovered by accident, If you run your engine in the dark you can usually see which one of your plug leads are arcing.
NOW WE'RE TORQUING!

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
stupid questions time
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 08:13:50 AM »
Another not so handy tip: if you wriggle the leads while the engine is running, you may be able to feel which one is arcing.

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
stupid questions time
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 06:15:15 PM »
So after more playing around, it turns out that one of the plugs had gone bad. I'm thinking it was because of the dodgy lead, because after I replaced the lead, then replaced all the plugs, the issue hasn't come back. So it's running how it should now, which is nice!
Re: windscreen, bit the bullet and am getting O'briens to put one in for me on Friday. $808 later (though they are including free chip repairs on it for life, which is worth about $150 I think she told me), I'm gonna be a bit sore in the wallet but then at least it's done (And I only JUST passed pink slip the other day, he told me I passed but that I have to go get it replaced, and I'd rather this guy not get into trouble as this workshop has looked after me before on numerous occasions).

Matt