Author Topic: Pre 1989 scheme LHD Question  (Read 6022 times)

Offline Loosecannon

Pre 1989 scheme LHD Question
« on: January 12, 2012, 11:44:27 PM »
Hi,

I have been reading the pre 1989 scheme document ( link below) the way it's worded I take it that if the car has been imported under the "pre 1989 Scheme" and is say a 1988 model car, it can be registered in NSW Left hand drive

Looking at page 8 of the doco on the link below, it has a table with ticks on it,  go to Pre 89 scheme, then across to right hand drive, the box IS ticked, BUT has a #4 in it,  at the bottom of the table it has Subject notes #4 states  "may be LHD if under 4.5tonnes GVM

I did email the RTA, they said it must be 30 years old, and under 4.5tonnnes GVM to be legally LHD in NSW, they did attach a LHD document from  Oct 2003, and didn't  mention the pre 89 scheme as I asked nor really answer my question

Has anyone else seen this or tried to rego say a 1988 Corvette LHD in NSW that has been imported under the Pre 89 scheme

Thanks in Advance

Regards
David

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_04_registration_of_imported_vehicles_in_nsw_24_may_2011.pdf

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 01:04:09 AM »
Minimum vehicle safety standards
To be registered in NSW a personally imported vehicle must meet the applicable safety standards of Schedule 2 of the Regulation including the following:
6. Steering position
Unless older than 30 years, the vehicle must be right-hand drive. If the vehicle is modified by converting
it from left-hand drive to right-hand drive, an engineering certificate is required

The above is a extract from the referenced link.

:grr:

Offline Loosecannon

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 01:17:12 AM »
Ok,

Is that under the "Personal import Scheme", as on the table on page 8 under Right hand drive, it has the box ticked, But Subject note #2 which states what you said ( must be over 30 years old etc)

Looking at the table, could it depend on what scheme you import the car under??

As The "Pre 89 Vehicles" has a different subject note next to the tick, #4 "may be LHD if under 4.5 tonnes GVM"

Regards
David

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 01:57:17 AM »
Look at RTA VSI 40, Registration of left-hand drive vechicles.
"may be LHD if under 4.5 tonnes GVM" may mean allowable under special conditions.

:banner:

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 01:39:13 PM »
Personally I think we should go the way of Samoa and start driving on the RHS.

It'll save us so much crap and give us access to cheaper cars.

s

Offline Loosecannon

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 03:55:36 PM »
I have emailed the Team leader of the RTA Technical centre, who obviously  doesn't understand the document, nor will comment

I asked how table works, and why do the 'Subject notes" state it CAN be LHD under the "Pre 89 Vehicles"

Then how does the table on page 8 "Summary of requirements for registering an imported vehicle in NSW", and the subject note 4 below the table work?.... what is the relevance of this, meaning etc? When is this applied

Regards
David

Their reply

David,

I am not responsible for the content of this document, I cannot comment on the way it is worded, or how it is put together, if you require this information, please contact the Centre For Road Safety, it's their publication.

The Road Transport ( Vehicle Registration )  Regulation 2007, Schedule 2 , determines the requirement for L/H/D registration, the law does not allow for the registration of a L/H/D vehicle unless it is over 30 years old and is under 4.5 tonne GVM.

Regards

Team Leader Technical Enquiries & Audits
Vehicle Standards & Compliance | Compliance & Enforcement
T 02 8837 0081  F 02 8837 0037
www.rmservices.nsw.gov.au

Roads and Maritime Services
99 Phillip Street Parramatta NSW 2150 |

Seems like a Grey area, And the RTA obviously don't understand there own documents

Regards
David

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 04:47:38 PM »
I think you are reading to much into the paper work .
let sleeping dogs lay.

us any ambiguity to your advantage
Bfit

I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 05:31:19 PM »
Quote from: Loosecannon link=topic=9011.msg1045941865#msg1045941865
the law does not allow for the registration of a L/H/D vehicle unless it is over 30 years old and is under 4.5 tonne GVM.

This is what most people understand it to be.  If you want to take the risk do so but expect to wait until your 88 model is 30 years old or till you can save up for a conversion.

s

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 09:34:37 AM »
I missed that you said  an  88 model
Stephen is correct  it will have to be 30 years old
so technically you will have to wait untill 2018 .

How ever vehicles do slit  through the system
But I have not seen   the particular  one get though ( under  30 years )
there are lot of other abnormalities that do get through.
Bfit

I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill