Author Topic: C2 spare parts - local?  (Read 2768 times)

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
C2 spare parts - local?
« on: October 21, 2011, 09:17:52 AM »
Hey all,  I'm new to the forum, I've been eyeing out C2 Corvettes lately, coupes in particular and looking at the pros and cons of owning one.

How is it on spare parts for these things?

I realise you can import just about anything but is there much around locally and/or interchangeable with say GM-H spares?

I hear if you want a larger master cylinder for a Torana you can hook up a Corvette one just wondering how much could be done the other way around.

s

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
C2 spare parts - local?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 10:04:10 AM »
There wouldn't be a large number of parts in common with the holdens.
Importing parts from overseas really is the best option.  They are plentiful, and postage isn't that expensive.

If you buy from an organised vendor, they will usually arrive in around a week, possibly less.

You can get parts locally but they tend to be more expensive as their stock generally comes from overseas, so they have the purchase price, shipping, storage and overheads before they add their mark-up, GST and possibly shipping to your door.

I have bought heaps of parts from overseas for a number of different cars fron a few different countries and have never had an issue, ranging from $10-20 purchases to a bit over $5000 for a 5-speed manual conversion for my vette. Just make sure you buy from a reputable company and you're fine.

The few times there was a problem, it was sorted quickly and easily.  I have had more problems from Australian ebay shops than US car parts shops.

ps. I wish I had a C2 :tear:

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
C2 spare parts - local?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 11:25:03 AM »
Quote from: Scott link=topic=8833.msg1045941286#msg1045941286
If you buy from an organised vendor, they will usually arrive in around a week, possibly less.

Cheers, is there a shout out thread here for these good vendors?

Quote from: Scott link=topic=8833.msg1045941286#msg1045941286

ps. I wish I had a C2 :tear:

So do I  :grin:

I notice not much discussion here pre C3, are these models less favoured?

s

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
C2 spare parts - local?
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 12:08:52 PM »
I wanted to buy a C2 when I was in the states a few years back, but they were out of my price range so I settles on my C3.

They made so many more C3's, and over a longer period hence there are many more around.

There was a thread of vendors people have used and what they thought.

I use VBandP for most of my suspension stuff, but they are a little expensive on shipping. They sent me some extra parts I didn't order once.  They refunded what they charged me for the unwanted parts, and told me to keep them as it wasn't worth the postage to return them.  They were also very helpful with tech data when I had a few queries about my fibreglass rear spring.

Vansteel have very cool things :)

Jegs are great for generic parts. (Shipping took 5 days)

Corvette central are useless.  They don't tell you that certain items aren't in stock and there may be a wait of over a month sometimes... They will only tell you this after you have placed and payed for the order.

Wilcox I've had no problems with.

And either Mid America or Corvette America were fine too. (I can't remember which one I used)

I'm sure the other will chip in with their experiences too.