Author Topic: Spark plug info - I'm a bit lazy  (Read 5827 times)

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Spark plug info - I'm a bit lazy
« on: May 13, 2011, 05:53:22 PM »
Hi guys,
Rather than take all the time and get all greasy to find out (at which point I then have to jack the car back down, clean up, get in the car to drive to super cheap - since it's the only car I have on the road at the moment, buy the bits, then come home and jack it up and get greasy again!) I'm wondering if y'all can help me.
I just want to do a spark plug change but I want to know:
a) What type do I need?
b) What size spark plug socket will I need?
My car is a '78 small block.
I figure someone in here can tell me off the top of their head :)
Thanks in advance.
Matt

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 05:41:53 PM »
What can i say

:shake:
CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 09:58:41 AM »
Hey, just figured somebody might know already, since a lot of people in here are constantly working on their engines. Looks like I will be taking the greasy path.

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 10:02:25 AM »
Oh, and I have been caught out before with the tool side of things when working on this car, since most of my tools are metric. Again, figured someone would be doing it all the time and would have the information at hand.
So while "laziness" was a factor, I also preferred to not have to spend the best part of a day jacking it up and down and driving it back and forth to supercheap, if I could just ask a question and have a knowledgeable vette driver answer it easily (not so easily, it seems!).

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 08:10:23 AM »
If you need to jack up the car to remove a sparkplug, you may be doing it wrong :club:
And no, I don't know what sparkplug. Sorry :D

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 09:17:18 AM »
Sorry, have never changed plugs on a V8, didn't think they were accessible from the top, my mistake. They're a very foreign engine to me :)

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 03:49:42 PM »
Bit rough you haven't got a decent reply!  At least you are having a go!

I like NGK plugs.  Depends if you want standard plugs or Iridiums like me.  I think the stock AC Delco is R45TS?  I think that equates to BR5FS for NGK.  I'm using my memory so will have to check.

If you have stock exhaust manifolds it should be easy but some aftermarket ones require getting underneath to make it easier.  For some of mine I have to use a 5/8 (?) open end spanner as well.

Here's a Corvette Fever  article

Offline craigh

• Four Barrel
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 05:23:05 PM »
Hi 77CVT

Just checked the  boxes for ones I put in my 71.

NGK BP5F VG

The ones that came out were...

NGK BPR5 FS

Am sure there are heaps of temp ranges etc that will work fine.  Any car parts place will be able to offer a set to fit your 350.

Craig

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 11:44:41 PM »
Ironically I was standing around at Autopro for about an hour today trying to work it all out :)
Meaning, it was earlier than when you guys replied! But never mind, I looked up Ecklers on my phone and worked out the AC Delco part, then we cross referenced it to the NGK part. So I ordered them in, and they had them later that arvo. Did the change before it got dark, but managed to shatter the ceramic part of 2 of them in the process. As I was putting them in I worked out that the metal part (where the lead attaches) is fatter on the NGK than on the Autolite APP26 that came out of it, meaning it was too stubby for my spark plug socket to fit over nicely without some serious jiggling. I had to go by feel since I couldn't see below the manifold, and both times I assumed the socket was on properly, turned it and "crunch". Have learned a sore lesson, and they'll be getting another 2 plug sales out of me tomorrow... :grr:
I hate learning the hard way.
thanks for your replies though guys, this will of course prove useful for future spark plug changers that visit the forums :)

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 12:24:25 PM »
Bummer!  I hate cracking a plug....but they are usually on my runabouts that never get a plug change in 4 years and are a bit hard to remove sometimes!  

Don't overtighten, especially if the heads are hot.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 04:19:45 PM »
Quote from: Scott link=topic=8364.msg1045939807#msg1045939807
If you need to jack up the car to remove a spark plug, you may be doing it wrong :club:
And no, I don't know what spark plug. Sorry :D

tools to remove spark plug plug socket and knuckle bar JACK
MMMMMMMM JACK
Jack remove spark plugs?
That sound like  what you do to take the RH rear spark plug out of a  chev powered  EH/HR holden  never mind a FC/FB
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill