Author Topic: taco cable  (Read 3647 times)

Offline vet71y

• Four Barrel
taco cable
« on: April 15, 2011, 12:35:15 PM »
hi all
I recently purchase a new taco cable for my 71 vet when I went to install it I came across a problem apart from almost dislocating a few vertabrae in my back trying to get under the dash I found the taco was covered by some sort of metal cover and not being all that smart I decided to seek your input. do I have to remove this or can I get to it by any other means :huh:

Offline RHD.68.l89

• Four Barrel
    • www.invisiblecarbras.com.au
taco cable
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 05:46:32 PM »
Metal Cover? do you mean the ignition shielding over the distributor? If so, yes you will probably have to remove it to access the bottom of the distributor.
Don't remember any metal covers stopping access to the rear of the Tach. the Tach is in a metal housing with the cable entering the rear. the 71 should have a clip in cable as opposed to the earlier threaded connector.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
taco cable
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 07:08:40 PM »
This post on Corvette Forum may be useful:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/5778906-post3.html
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
taco cable
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 07:22:20 PM »
The Dissy end has a knurled nut, the tacho end has a spring clip. It is necessary to remove the AC duct which goes under steering column there is a screw next to courtesy lite which has to be removed. Push the dash end of duct forward to clear bonnet pull & wiring loom then pull down. Watch the courtesy lite it gets mighty hot.Your not getting confused with trip meter reset cable when being upside down under dash.Dont recall any metal cover on tacho end

Offline vet71y

• Four Barrel
taco cable
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 10:02:33 AM »
thanks for your feed back guys I will have another go at it:ado: