Author Topic: converting to power brakes  (Read 5044 times)

Offline th693

• Two Barrel
converting to power brakes
« on: February 26, 2011, 08:24:14 PM »
wanting to update my 69 corvette brakes thet left the factory with master cylinder but no booster. would like to stop my 350 roadster with less effort and am looking for a power brake set up if anyone can help

Offline mick

• Tri Powered
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 10:36:45 PM »
try this site I already have power brakes but ive bought suspension & steering kits with no problems

http://www.vbandp.com/C2-C3-Corvettes/Brake-Products.html

Good luck

Mick

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 09:24:14 AM »
Did a 65 over christmas no problem was a bolt up conversion,& have a 71 to do in next week or so access to the nuts under dash at firewall is a pain is nearly easier to drop dash  out to access them or you need a 9/16" deep socket & heaps of uni joints & extensions
It would be recommended to replace master cylinder  & booster as  a matched set. There is different depths on the hole in M/S piston

Offline th693

• Two Barrel
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 06:29:52 PM »
will the booster/master cylider bolt straight onto my firewall without any modification

Offline th693

• Two Barrel
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 06:36:49 PM »
if anyone has an excess booster/master cylinder lying around would be interested in taking it off your hands

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 08:01:36 PM »
You’d be better purchasing the kit from VB&P as Mick suggested. http://www.vbandp.com/C2-C3-Corvettes/Brake-Products/Master-Cylinders-and-Power-Boosters/1968-76-Power-Booster-Master-Cylinder-Kit.html

Their service is fantastic, I ordered some bits from them last Monday and it arrived in 5 days.

Even with the freight charges, you’re more likely to save $$$. Remember to include the Core Charge to the purchase as well.
Send them / Terry an email asking what the freight charge would be on the item to AU, Then go shopping locally.
To give you an idea on pricing. I had just the booster rebuilt locally for $240.00 :bang:

You’re most likely going to need the brake lines from the master cylinder to the proportion valve remade, but that should only cost a few bucks

Good luck
CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline Benandsally

• Two Barrel
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 12:34:47 PM »
Hi th693,

Am in the process of getting this done.Speak with Sirfixalot. :drag:

Offline mick

• Tri Powered
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 01:24:57 PM »
On a side note I wonder what this would be like

1968-76 w/Power Brakes Hydraulic Brake Assist

Completely bolt-on system replaces brake power booster. Eliminates brake fade and loss of vacuum experienced with high performance motors. For all 1968-76 Corvettes with power brakes.

http://www.vbandp.com/C2-C3-Corvettes/Brake-Products/Master-Cylinders-and-Power-Boosters/1968-76-w/Power-Brakes-Hydraulic-Brake-Assist.html

I know at slow engine speeds sometimes I lose a bit of feel to my brakes at times.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 09:57:18 PM »
The parts required for conversion is booster/master cylinder combo, the booster & m/cylinder gasket & also the bracket which operates the brake light switch. It is longer than the non power brake one & is a mungrel thing to fabricate.You cant lenghten the old one it hits on bracket under dash. The steering column has to be removed , the fire wall has to be redrilled with a 2 1/8" hole saw lower down there are 2 bolts under m/cylinder  which have to be removed the nuts inside are drilled thru.The bolts which originally held master cylinder have to be knocked out, 2 new holes have to drilled about 12mm higher up firewall.The push rod & brake lite switch bracket are swapped around on brake pedal.
When booster is fitted put a 1/2" nuts on before nut to act as a spacer otherwise socket will bottom out before tight
Overall is a fairly hard job with a lot of fiddling to get every thing in patience is required

Offline th693

• Two Barrel
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 09:45:13 PM »
sounds like the past few days converting to power brakes has been quite involved. was the brake light switch bracket available and if so how did you source it. how is it secured to the car.

Offline th693

• Two Barrel
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 09:45:50 PM »
how about vacuum supply

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 10:19:20 AM »
Mate how did you go with the booster  for you vette
I`m talking to a local supplier  about the same conversion  for my 70 model
Bfit

I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 03:10:15 PM »
The brake lite switch lever is available  Willcox P/n 40832 it bolts into the hole in pedal where original push rod bolted too. The new pushrod from booster bolts into where old switch lever was. If car is a manual it is just about impossible to do up top left nut on booster without removing dash. You need a 3/8 drive deep socket a uni joint a 150mm 3/8 extension then another 300 extension then another 300 extension then ratchet then you have to try driving it to tighten nut.Take the seat out also. Steve from Jactup should have the brake lite lever. Vacuum supply is from manifold I fitted a tee junction under existing fitting & a hose tail from local auto store