Author Topic: C3 door jam  (Read 6570 times)

Offline tnygard

C3 door jam
« on: February 19, 2011, 11:41:32 AM »
The passenger door lock of my '69 Stingray has jammed. Have tried to push the rods inside with a screw driver but the won't move. Tried W40, but that did no difference either. Get the inside panel off seems impossible since the door is lock.

Luckily the wife has long legs, but she is starting to complain. Any suggestions what to do? Have tried the local (Central Coast ) panel beater and locksmith, but they were stumped too.

Tony
:bang:

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
C3 door jam
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 12:21:19 PM »
Talk to Scott at CAC. (Number at foot of each Forum page.)
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
C3 door jam
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 12:26:33 PM »
If it were me I'd pull the inner door panel off and undo the linkages one by one until I found out what was jammed.

As you already know you cannot un screw the door latch or door jam bolt with it closed which makes things difficult.

I'd be trying to get at it through the top inspection hole as much as possible. You'll have to unscrew the plastic cover and let it drop down inside the door while you work on this inspection point.

If it is the inner door lever/lock mechanism where the inside handle attaches, then all you'd have to do is unclip the rods and then the door should open manually.

If it's the upper/outside doorhandle then same as above. If it's the latch that attaches to the bolt, then you may have a problem. I'd have to go down the shed and refresh myself as to if you can get a screwdriver into it from the inside - I dont think you can. I'd have to really think about this. If worse case scenario comes into play, you might have to remove the door skin (which is just glued on) and cut the latch etc apart ...

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
C3 door jam
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 12:29:26 PM »
If it is the inner door latch that locks onto the jam bolt, I think that they're exact same as a HQ holden. So it'd be easy to find one. Don't quote me on this - I just threw a HQ one into the bin last week thinking I'd never need it and it looked exact same as my vette ones.

If it is this then it could be worth looking into rather than ordering an over priced part from the USA.

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
C3 door jam
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 12:45:09 PM »
Ok - I just went down the shed to look at the parts to see what you have to do.

While I was down there I realised I ws stupid in my previous post because if you cannot open the door you're going to have a hell of a time removing the inner panel. I took a couple pics while I was down there though so we can work out what we're dealing with.

I'm scared that if you cannot force it open somehow you may heve to remove the door skin very carefully trying not to crack the outer paint.

Have you tried spraying inox into any crack, recess anything you can get it into? You might be able to spray randomly through the top of the window hole if you wind the window down all the way. Maybe? Spraying inox like a madman inside the door isn't going to hurt anything.

In this pic you can see the mechanism that opens the door when you use the handle. (A) pushes down onto (B) and it released the door jam bolt.

This pic shows you cannot manually access the latch itself from the inside as it's got the sheaild around it.

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
C3 door jam
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 03:15:29 PM »
Hi tnygard,

Had the same thing happen to me, scratched and prodded for hours until I worked it out.
If you can see the top end of the lock through the window cavity in the door (See the picture to work out on how to unlock the door.

If the plastic dust cover is still fitted you’re going to have to remove it. Can’t help you there.

The reason for it locking up is the rod that connects the key barrel to the lock has come out of adjustment. IMO

CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline tnygard

C3 door jam
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 04:09:24 PM »
Thanks a lot for the suggestions and especially the pictures. It is helpful to see the inside, rather than poking blindly. I will try to remove the door skin around the area as you suggested. Is it possible to pull it off even though glued.
Cheers,
Tony

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
C3 door jam
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 04:27:27 PM »
What!  :tapping:  Remove the door skin!!   Are you mad?

I’d hack the inner trim before destroying the door.

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
C3 door jam
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 04:45:49 PM »
Hi Tony.
There's nothing like a bit of a challenge. Just tried my '75, I can open door with a bit of coat hanger provided the window is down. I'm at Long Jetty. Give me a call on 0488 332 028 and I'll reveal all. (about the lock that is)
Bob
Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
C3 door jam
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 04:52:08 PM »
Quote from: Reklaw link=topic=8106.msg1045938964#msg1045938964
Hi Tony.
There's nothing like a bit of a challenge. Just tried my '75, I can open door with a bit of coat hanger provided the window is down. I'm at Long Jetty. Give me a call on 0488 332 028 and I'll reveal all. (about the lock that is)
Bob

Thanks Bob :grin:

Offline tnygard

C3 door jam
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 10:23:03 AM »
I meant the inside trimming when I said door skin.

Bob, I will give you a call.

Tony

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
C3 door jam
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 12:36:15 PM »
ahh - so I was on the right track when I suggested through the window opening.

Good luck.

Offline Zelda

C3 door jam
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 09:43:27 PM »
Hi Tnygard,
I understand you are in a bit of a pickle with this, we had a similar problem with our 1975 vette, ours didn't have any rods, if you need a hand with this as no one else seems to know about this, pls don't hesitate to call my husband Mark 0413432580 and he will definately be able to help you out.

regards
Barbralea

Offline tnygard

C3 door jam
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 01:01:06 PM »
Hi Barbralea, thanks for the offer. I have now a number of leads and suggestions to try out. Will attempt these next weekend as the weekend gone was less than ideal weather wise. I might give you guys a call pending on the outcome.
Cheers,
Tony

Offline Zelda

C3 door jam
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 10:05:41 PM »
Hey Tony,,

No problem.

Barbralea

Offline tnygard

C3 door jam
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 04:36:18 PM »
Opened the door in less than 5 minutes thanks to your advice and pictures. It helps when you know where to poke!

Next problem is to to fix the door latch/lock. I will take it out and figure out why the lock is jambed. Might need replacement.

:ado:

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
C3 door jam
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 08:20:03 PM »
Hey Tony,,

Glad the Pic’s were of assistance.   :bannana: