Author Topic: 5 amp fuse blowing out under LCD-C4  (Read 4539 times)

Offline Just Vette

5 amp fuse blowing out under LCD-C4
« on: February 08, 2011, 03:50:13 PM »
HI Vette owners. My c4 vette roadster is blowing out 5 amp fuses under the LCD position in the fuse panel. I have removed door trims/replaced weatherstrips.rear view mirror and rhs sunvisor with new parts acquired overseas. I sought guidance from a member linked to the covette forum.com and he suggests that the problem is in the instrument clusterie power pack I have connected a test lamp and it glows indicating a SHORT.What is the problem and where else should I look?:frown: I got a Haynes workshop manual which is pretty ordinary showing the wiring diagram.Please donot tell me to see a auto electrician!I have been told that from a repairer in the USA that the problem could be in power side of the cluster .I need a good schematic of the cluster showing amongst other things the colour scheme for the connectors. The web is poor when it comes to that which I cannot reproduce.If everything fails I will have to work it out myself
Further to the above I have looked at batee.com and I think he is very basic.Basically he suggests that you resolder the decay soldering points which  are50/50 -lead/tin ratio and check your earth or grounding points.
Certain soldering points have been resoldered  which has cured the 5 Amp from blowing and I have found out the indicators are now working.The cluster is still not functioning.
Thunder Kiss has suggested that I contact Gordon Killebrew.com and I have found out that he is located in the States. Has any NSW corvette forum members got his publication  and any recommendations would be appreciated?

Offline Thunder Kiss

• Four Barrel
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v290/ThunderKiss/
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 02:01:44 PM »
Hi Just Vette,
Have a look around this webste: Batee.com.
Otherwise a guy called Gordon Killebrew has published a book on C4 digital clusters.  You can reach him here: Gordon Killebrew.

Offline Just Vette

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 04:00:21 PM »
Thanks to Thunder Kiss. Batee.com is very basic. All you are checking for is bad  soldering points or grounding.Gordon  Killebrew is located in TN.USA and  I invite forum members to answer my question as to how good is his publications?
US ebay offers a repair service and only one ebay trader   to my knowledge will supply a remanufactured cluster.
New clusters are still available at cost   upto $US3000.Certain Us ebay traders have not the courtesy of responding to your ebay emails.Obviously they donot want your business.
On Corvette Forum, in the States, I have one supplier who is prepared to help rebuilders down under. He is very ethical and reasonable with his pricing etc.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 05:39:35 PM »
The negative pin on ribbon cable between boards in dash display can go open circuit.I have soldered a bridge between circuit boards to rectify fault of blacked out display.Where are you located

Offline Just Vette

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 09:01:11 AM »
Thanks Sirfixalot. Certain capacitors have been  detected to be leaking and have been replaced.Still no power/cluster doesnot light up.
One modification as outlined in batee.com will be tried in a attempt to power the board by introducing a additonal eath supply.We shall see what will happen?
I live in Kilmore Victoria.-My phone number is 0402713412
:huh: