Author Topic: 71 rebuild  (Read 317455 times)

Offline craigh

• Four Barrel
Re: 71 rebuild
« Reply #620 on: May 02, 2016, 09:12:22 AM »
Craig
If you dont need offset trailing arms .
Move the park brake cable bracket to the top of the trailing arm
Use 18'' rims and you will be good to go up to 10'' wide if you get the right back spacing
Bfit
Hi Bfit

I have 18's now with stock arms and they clear fine (only 18x8) but one of my arms was replaced at some time in the past and is not that good where the sway bar would attach so i thought i would see what options exist for better arms, not necessarily offset , but it seems that to get better ones you need to go that way.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #621 on: May 02, 2016, 09:22:34 AM »
Starting to come back together Brad, won't be long :)

Quick question re trailing arms as i am considering what to do with mine.

Looks like your running VanSteel arms. Are you using Poly bushings with them ?

Also given i will only ever run the stock width 15's or the 18's the need for offset is not really there but the offset arms seems much better quality than standard reproductions.

I also note that a lot are now available with spherical bearings or johnny joints for better movement and less binding but i imagine that would transfer a lot more noise and vibration into the frame and car.

Other than the VanSteel ones the Global West one look nicely made.

Your thoughts would be appreciated as always.

Hi Craig,

The car is slowly getting there, I have finished colour sanding and have started buffing. I am not in too much of a hurry as its nearly winter.

I was quite happy using my original trailing arms. I just fitted new rubber bushes and relocated the park brake bracket to the top of the arm.

The only issue I had was spring to tyre clearance when using a 5.25" backspace rim and lowering the rear of the car with 10" link bolts.
I was using a 0.5" shortened per side rear spring with the original arms but still only had about 1/4 to 3/8" clearance.

I went with the Van Steel double offset trailing arms with poly bushes. The double offset arms bring the spring link bolt 1.0" inboard which allowed me to use a 1.0" per side shortened spring.

If I didn't have the spring to tyre clearance issue I would have kept my original arms. Other then the better quality of the aftermarket arms I don't think you will gain much over rebuilt standard arms.

Offline craigh

• Four Barrel
« Reply #622 on: May 02, 2016, 09:33:05 AM »
Hi Craig,

The car is slowly getting there, I have finished colour sanding and have started buffing. I am not in too much of a hurry as its nearly winter.

I was quite happy using my original trailing arms. I just fitted new rubber bushes and relocated the park brake bracket to the top of the arm.

The only issue I had was spring to tyre clearance when using a 5.25" backspace rim and lowering the rear of the car with 10" link bolts.
I was using a 0.5" shortened per side rear spring with the original arms but still only had about 1/4 to 3/8" clearance.

I went with the Van Steel double offset trailing arms with poly bushes. The double offset arms bring the spring link bolt 1.0" inboard which allowed me to use a 1.0" per side shortened spring.

If I didn't have the spring to tyre clearance issue I would have kept my original arms. Other then the better quality of the aftermarket arms I don't think you will gain much over rebuilt standard arms.

Thanks Brad, may stay stock then and either repair existing or look for a replacement.

What did you do with your old arms ?

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #623 on: May 02, 2016, 09:45:42 AM »
Sorry Craig, I only sold them a month or so ago to Thierry (on that other forum) for his 69 he is doing up.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #624 on: May 02, 2016, 10:04:36 AM »
Hi Brad  apologies mate I did not get things sort to come and see you when I was over your way.

Craig  I think the best trailing arms are made my ridetech but they are part of a coil over conversion.

Danny Dorsett ( vansteel ) are my  first choose for aftermarket standard offset trailing arms.
I have a set of genuine training arms off my 70 model, park cable bracket  has been relocated on those , if your interested in used units.

If you would like a contact for Danny Dorsett let me know
I buy all my under body parts of Dan.
BFit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #625 on: May 02, 2016, 10:20:30 AM »
I like these  for trailing arms ( Ridetech )
BFit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline craigh

• Four Barrel
« Reply #626 on: May 02, 2016, 12:49:11 PM »
Sorry Craig, I only sold them a month or so ago to Thierry (on that other forum) for his 69 he is doing up.

Never mind, worth asking :-)

Offline craigh

• Four Barrel
« Reply #627 on: May 02, 2016, 12:53:48 PM »
Hi Brad  apologies mate I did not get things sort to come and see you when I was over your way.

Craig  I think the best trailing arms are made my ridetech but they are part of a coil over conversion.

Danny Dorsett ( vansteel ) are my  first choose for aftermarket standard offset trailing arms.
I have a set of genuine training arms off my 70 model, park cable bracket  has been relocated on those , if your interested in used units.

If you would like a contact for Danny Dorsett let me know
I buy all my under body parts of Dan.
BFit

Thanks Bfit

I have looked at the Ridetech gear and its very very nice but a tad expensive.

Will have another look through the  VanSteel listing but may also PM u re your 70 set as well.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #628 on: May 02, 2016, 01:11:11 PM »
Thanks Bfit

I have looked at the Ridetech gear and its very very nice but a tad expensive.

Will have another look through the  VanSteel listing but may also PM u re your 70 set as well.

yes they are expensive,
 but they do stand behind there produces.
One trailing arm I got had problems.
I emailed them with photos and they send me a replacement.no problems at all.
The important part of it all, the rear end it now predicable, it works a lot better.
Bfit

Winston Churchill

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #629 on: May 02, 2016, 05:46:44 PM »

No problems Bob, I thought you might have been a bit short on time.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #630 on: July 23, 2016, 08:13:42 PM »

Not much been happening on the Vette lately, I have been side tracked doing other things.

I still have the engine and trans out so decided to clean up the firewall a bit better. I cleaned up all the factory bonding adhesive that had oozed out between the firewall sections and glassed in the opening between the pedal box and the firewall. I also filled in any unused holes.

I am using a hand laid one piece front clip that has a rough fibreglass finish on the inside so decided to sand and fill this to give it a smooth finish. I am going to have to do the same to the hood now.

As the heater will never get used I have taken the core out and made up a heater delete plate.

After many hours of sanding, filling and more sanding I currently have the firewall and inner fenders in primer.
I am still unsure whether to paint it in satin black or body colour.

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
« Reply #631 on: July 23, 2016, 10:09:02 PM »
After going to all that work can only be one answer BradO, BODY COLOUR!

Offline craigh

• Four Barrel
« Reply #632 on: July 24, 2016, 08:23:19 AM »
Nice work Brad.

My vote would be satin black so the engine takes the spotlight but it's up to u :-)

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #633 on: August 05, 2016, 06:26:08 PM »

I decided to go body colour on the upper firewall and inner fenders.

Next week when I return from work I will re-mask the lower firewall below the heater box and steering column and paint this satin black.

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
« Reply #634 on: August 05, 2016, 08:21:27 PM »
 :thumb:

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #635 on: August 06, 2016, 09:06:18 AM »
Was at a mate of mines place on Thursday ( Experienced vet restorer) & we had the discussion  about engine bay painting he has painted the firewall in colour  & guards in satin black he said the inner guards in colour didn't look the goods

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #636 on: August 06, 2016, 06:01:20 PM »
Was at a mate of mines place on Thursday ( Experienced vet restorer) & we had the discussion  about engine bay painting he has painted the firewall in colour  & guards in satin black he said the inner guards in colour didn't look the goods

I was thinking of doing the same Geoff, but wasn't sure how it would look.

There's a lot of blue there now but I think by the time I get everything back on the firewall and inner fenders it should break it up a bit.

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
« Reply #637 on: August 07, 2016, 06:00:08 PM »
I reckon its the way ta go to Brad :thumb:

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #638 on: August 07, 2016, 07:31:19 PM »

Thanks Jethro.

Looks a bit over the top now but once everything is back in then it should be ok.

I colour sanded and buffed the inner fenders and top of the firewall. There are a few places I am not entirely happy with but will sort these out when I return home.

Offline craigh

• Four Barrel
« Reply #639 on: August 07, 2016, 09:15:45 PM »
Looks pretty good Brad.

until you have all the gear back in place you won't know if the splash guards are too much.

The hoses etc may stand out more with the blue background.

Look forward to seeing it all back.