Author Topic: 71 rebuild  (Read 317500 times)

Offline craigh

• Four Barrel
Re: 71 rebuild
« Reply #580 on: November 01, 2015, 08:03:53 PM »
18 months sounds like a long time  Brad, but the list of accomplishments is huge.

Let the end result be the measure and it's amazing as usual.

I love the look of the rear wheels/arch but hope you don't have any rubbing problems when the wheels travel up. However  I am sure you have tested it thoroughly :-)

Craig

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
« Reply #581 on: November 01, 2015, 08:44:39 PM »
Looks terrific Brad :thumb: Keen to see how that wiper door works out for you bud ?

Jethro

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #582 on: November 02, 2015, 07:55:35 AM »
Looks like an amazing ride you have there Brad.
What brand is those pipes and headers?
Chris.

Thanks Chris,
There Doug's Headers and Hooker side tubes. I had a set of Hooker headers but they had fitment issues. Doug's headers are an exact copy of the Hookers but they fitted.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #583 on: November 02, 2015, 08:06:53 AM »
18 months sounds like a long time  Brad, but the list of accomplishments is huge.

Let the end result be the measure and it's amazing as usual.

I love the look of the rear wheels/arch but hope you don't have any rubbing problems when the wheels travel up. However  I am sure you have tested it thoroughly :-)

Craig

Hi Craig,

I was hoping to have it done in 12 months but I was a bit slow doing the body work and painting. Also I lost a few months when I had a new knee fitted.
The tyres are a tight fit, they clear when checking in the workshop but the test will be when driving!!!

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #584 on: November 02, 2015, 08:16:15 AM »
Looks terrific Brad :thumb: Keen to see how that wiper door works out for you bud ?

Jethro

Thanks Jethro, I am looking at doing the same as what a Corvette Forum member did and use another MX5 motor and slow the movement down with a speed controller.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #585 on: November 14, 2015, 03:30:17 PM »
I have finally managed to take the car for a short drive. The clutch and gearbox feel good. The brakes work very well using the hydraboost, maybe a bit over sensitive. I may have to look at reducing the pressure from the steering pump.

The engine feels strong but needs a lot of work on the tune. It is only pulling 10" of vacuum at idle but should still be ok to tune in speed density mode. I may also do a second tune in Alpha-N and see which one work best with this engine.

Below is a short iPhone video of startup. The video and audio quality is crap and as the cold start enrichment has not been adjusted yet it takes quite a bit of cranking to fire up.

I have also been working on a cold air intake. Using the big block hood gives me a bit more clearance over the top of the radiator support panel to bring air in. The idea is to fabricate an aluminium plate that will seal against a pod filter and the underside of the hood. I have made up the base plate but still need to weld in the sides and add sealing foam between the filter and hood.

http://vid1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff391/wabco40/video%20motor_zpss0ooxjyd.mp4

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #586 on: November 16, 2015, 08:52:28 AM »
Looks good! Bet that drive gave you a big grin!

Offline craigh

• Four Barrel
« Reply #587 on: November 16, 2015, 05:01:35 PM »
Thats a nice sound Brad and looking very neat with the intake.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #588 on: November 17, 2015, 11:29:18 AM »
Looks good! Bet that drive gave you a big grin!

Sure did Andrew.

A bit of a hand full tho, working on the tune and checking out a new clutch, gearbox, diff ratio and braking system.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #589 on: November 17, 2015, 11:32:48 AM »
Thats a nice sound Brad and looking very neat with the intake.

Thanks Craig. The cam is a bit radical which is not helping the tune but its getting there.

I am back to work today so will finish off the intake next week.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #590 on: November 17, 2015, 11:55:26 AM »
I got hood, wiper door and grill fitted yesterday.

Before I fitted the wiper door I did some mods to it to get ready for the electric conversion.

The vacuum actuator pushrod end was removed and a 1/4" heim joint fitted. The opening in the linkage mount had to be widened to allow the heim joint full movement.
The wiper arm vacuum switch was removed and a weatherproof micro switch fitted.

Once this was done then wiper door/linkage was fitted back in the car. I still need to make the mounting bracket for the electric motor and adjust it up but that will have to wait until my next break.

I guess I should have closed the hood fully before I took the last picture!!!

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #591 on: November 17, 2015, 12:24:48 PM »
Wow, looks amazing in the sun! Are you running electric motors on the headlights too? That's on my to-do list.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #592 on: November 17, 2015, 02:24:43 PM »
Wow, looks amazing in the sun! Are you running electric motors on the headlights too? That's on my to-do list.

Thanks. Yes I did the electric headlight motor mod back on page 33.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #593 on: November 17, 2015, 05:32:35 PM »
Hi mate
 I'm interested to see what motor you use for the wiper door
I'm  working on a jeep seat motor to mount up for mine.
car looks good.
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #594 on: November 17, 2015, 06:25:46 PM »
Hi mate
 I'm interested to see what motor you use for the wiper door
I'm  working on a jeep seat motor to mount up for mine.
car looks good.
Bfit

Hi Bob, using another mx5 motor. The conversion is from a Corvette Forum member. I have looked at linear actuators and seat motors (screw jacks) type conversions and this one seems the better.
The motor sits quite close to the firewall and also allows the wiper door to be manually opened if need be.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3613960-diy-68-72-wiper-door-vacuum-to-electric-conversion.html

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
« Reply #595 on: November 17, 2015, 09:33:05 PM »
Nothing but perfection as usual BradO and thanks for that link  :cheers: so So sweet a conversion  :thumb:

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #596 on: November 18, 2015, 09:53:45 AM »
Nothing but perfection as usual BradO and thanks for that link  :cheers: so So sweet a conversion  :thumb:

Thanks Jethro. Its the best electric wiper door conversion I have seen so far. Works the same way as the original vacuum system but being electric it doesn't have the reliability issue of the vacuum. That is it still uses the micro switch on the wiper motor so the wipers do not start until the door is fully open and uses a micro switch (instead of a vacuum valve) on the wiper transmission linkage so the door will not close until the wipers are fully parked.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #597 on: November 30, 2015, 02:05:50 PM »
Went to the Armadale Auto Parts open day and car show yesterday. Fantastic day, great weather and over 700 cars attending. Every year this open day gets bigger and bigger.
The link below are just some of the cars there.

http://blog.harneyphoto.com/2015/11/30/my-58cents-worth/#

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
« Reply #598 on: November 30, 2015, 09:20:40 PM »
She has come up a Treat BradO :)

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #599 on: December 01, 2015, 06:31:38 AM »
She has come up a Treat BradO :)

Thanks Jethro. It's looking ok however not fibre glassing the seams on the rear quarters is gona come back and haunt me :grr:. I know what I will be doing next winter.