Author Topic: 71 rebuild  (Read 317507 times)

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
Re: 71 rebuild
« Reply #240 on: November 19, 2012, 08:09:40 AM »
Waiting on heads to have triple seats machined in em ....... on a waiting cue at machine shop.....

The machine shop must have a lot of work on. It's been a while now  :banghead:

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #241 on: December 04, 2012, 05:43:57 PM »
I have fitted CobraStuff 4" heat shields to the side pipes.

I quite like the look of the cheese grater shields. They look heaps better in real life then what the pictures make out.

I've also got some resonator inserts coming from Classic Chambered Exhaust. I am not sure if it will quieten it down but hoping it will give it a deeper tone and still maintain flow.

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
« Reply #242 on: December 05, 2012, 08:19:43 AM »
Looks smick & sitting tight to sil rail :thumb: Got Ta B Happy with that

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #243 on: December 05, 2012, 08:37:06 AM »
Looks smick & sitting tight to sil rail :thumb: Got Ta B Happy with that

Thanks Jethro,

Yeah I am happy with the fit of the headers/pipes and starting to get used to the ceramic/stainless look.

I have been looking at other posts of side pipe installations and some are all over the place. The OBX seem to be hit or miss and as for Hooker :grr:

Offline craigh

• Four Barrel
« Reply #244 on: December 05, 2012, 07:07:17 PM »
They look great Brad, nice and level and the shields look great.

Can't really tell where the change from ceramic happens.

How hot do they get ?

Craig

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #245 on: December 05, 2012, 08:09:07 PM »
They look great Brad, nice and level and the shields look great.

Can't really tell where the change from ceramic happens.

How hot do they get ?

Craig

Thanks Craig,

I haven't tried it with the shields fitted yet. I have only temporary fitted the right side shield as I will be removing the side tubes soon to replace the inserts.
With no shields the side tubes get very hot, I reckon enough to leave skin :bbq:
It doesn't help with the spiral inserts directing hot exhaust gases around the outer diameter of the pipe.

Even with different inserts they would get very hot.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #246 on: December 24, 2012, 08:21:18 AM »
I have fitted new inserts from Classic Chambered Exhaust. Its not much quiter but has a deeper tone.

Also I am not too impressed with the original M-20 wide ratio muncie box. I have got Keisler/Legend 5 speed close ratio box and hydraulic clutch conversion on order.

http://www.keislerauto.com/ss700.html

Its not due to be shipped until at least April so will make a good winter project.

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
« Reply #247 on: December 24, 2012, 07:15:38 PM »
Thanks Craig.

I am going to still use the stainless Hooker side tubes. Not sure how the stainless and ceramic will look together, I may have to order Dougs ceramic tubes later.

I can't believe the crap Hooker are producing. There a $1000 set of headers that don't even come close to fitting.

I've had them too long for any sort of warranty plus returning them would cost too much. Turned out to be a very expensive exercise.

Looking on the US forums the Chinese made OBX headers ain't much better.

More info Wabbco on Doug's side headers. ? and if ya did it again would you have orered the lot off him? i.e. side pipes as well?

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #248 on: December 25, 2012, 08:48:10 AM »

More info Wabbco on Doug's side headers. ? and if ya did it again would you have orered the lot off him? i.e. side pipes as well?

Jethro,
the only issue I had with fitting the Doug's headers was clearancing for the R&P shaft but this was expected. Everything else clears well.
The rocker mouldings need trimming as they sit high and close in this area, however I would rather have this then sitting low under the moulding. The rear primary tubes clear the underside of the chassis by about 3/8" using the standard engine mounts. I also removed the exhaust mounting bracket from between the gearbox extension housing and mount, this gives slightly more clearance between the primary tube and the chassis underside.

I asked questions about fitment on US forums and only got one reply saying he had no fitment issue with a big block. A search found a few other posts saying the same thing.

I purchased them through Summit for $674 (for the ceramic headers only) but had them air freigthed which was expensive. If I was not in too much of a hurry I would have sent them to Long Beach to be put in a container.

The Doug's do not come in stainless steel, only black, chrome and ceramic. I would have preferred SS but had the decide between chrome and ceramic. I went with the ceramic because all the hype about the benefits of ceramic and I also had to weld an O2 bung on the inside of the collector.

The pipes are a copy of Hookers so my SS side tubes and mounting hardware fitted with no problems. If I didn't have the side tubes then I would have ordered the Doug's tubes with the headers.
I only issue I had was the look of ceramic collectors onto SS tubes, but I am starting to get used to it now (see picture).

The first inserts I used where STS, these are quite loud so changed them out for a resonator insert from Classic Chambered Exhaust. There still loud but have a deeper tone then the STS, which makes them a bit more bearable (sitting 2 feet from the exhaust exit dosn't help). I will try get better pictures and sound clip in the next few days.

In all I am happy with the quality and fitment of the Doug's headers.
I noticed on the box these are also made in Mexico as with the Hookers but I guess with a more accurate jig and better quality control.

Hope everyone has a great Christmas  :santa:
Brad

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #249 on: December 29, 2012, 06:54:51 PM »
I took some pictures of the car parked next to an old Haulpak I used to drive many years ago.

Being overcast makes the blue look quite dark.

I still need to do a few things to it.

The rear number plate needs to be mounted slightly lower in the frame. A new 5 speed box and hydraulic clutch conversion and a few other smaller jobs.

Offline craigh

• Four Barrel
« Reply #250 on: December 29, 2012, 07:13:31 PM »
Looks amazing Brad, must be enjoying being able to drive it now.

Craig

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #251 on: December 30, 2012, 09:01:40 AM »
Looks amazing Brad, must be enjoying being able to drive it now.

Craig

Thanks Craig,
yes it's a good change from working on it all the time.
Getting a bit bored though. I am looking around for another project to start!!!

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
« Reply #252 on: December 30, 2012, 11:38:03 AM »
Smick as Brad . I reckon look of those ceramic side pipes on your blue look better than the chrome.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #253 on: December 30, 2012, 02:44:38 PM »
Smick as Brad . I reckon look of those ceramic side pipes on your blue look better than the chrome.

Thanks Jethro, I don't mind it now.

Any progress on your engine?

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
« Reply #254 on: December 30, 2012, 04:51:06 PM »
Yeah Brad my mate is assembling the heads as we speak it' been a real slow process but hopefully worth it  :thumb: Are you happy with your donk's performance ?

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #255 on: December 30, 2012, 07:47:14 PM »
Yeah Brad my mate is assembling the heads as we speak it' been a real slow process but hopefully worth it  :thumb: Are you happy with your donk's performance ?

Sounds good Jethro. When its gets back on the road it will be worth the wait  :thumb:

I am pleased with my engines performance. The tuning is coming on good. The cold and warm start are sorted out, idle, acceleration and cruising are ok. Just needs a bit more work on WOT. Theres a bit of a miss so I am guessing the fuel tables need richening up abit in that area.
It's a big learning curve but it's coming together.
The Keisler gearbox is rated at 700hp/700lb-ft so there is plently of room for improvement (if the rear end can handle it). Maybe an all aluminium 427 small block.
Like I said before I am getting bored and need another project!!!

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #256 on: January 08, 2013, 02:06:26 PM »
I took the car in to check the wheel alignment today.

I set the rear toe in to -3mm total, the laser alignment came out at -2.9mm however the thrust angle was +0.1 degree. I just need to swap some shims around to bring it back in slightly.

I set the front toe in to 0.0mm, the laser alignment said +0.9mm.

I am using offset upper control arms so tried to set the caster to +4.75 degrees. The print out from the alignment said I had +5.21 degrees on the left and +4.10 degrees on the right.

The camber where all within -0.2  and -1.0 degrees.

I just need to do some slight shimming on the upper control arms to even the caster and camber up and adjust the steering tie rods slightly.

I initially set it all up with string lines and straight edges so quite pleased that everything was reasonably close.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #257 on: January 08, 2013, 02:27:41 PM »
Hi Brad
which box did you end up using
a Tremec or the Keisler  manufactured box
mate this is my Tremec  magnum I am fitting now
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #258 on: January 08, 2013, 02:37:20 PM »
Hi Brad
which box did you end up using
a Tremec or the Keisler  manufactured box
Bfit

Hi Bob,

Its the Keisler SS 700. Its made by Legend Gear but I think Keisler assemble it.

There telling me it will ship 2nd April but I am not holding my breath.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #259 on: January 08, 2013, 02:47:20 PM »
Brad
From What i read its a good box and shorter that the Tremec 6 Speed
be interested to see what you need to do to get it in there
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill