Restoration & Modification Projects > Restoration Projects

71 rebuild

<< < (5/162) > >>

demonx:

--- Quote from: wabco40 ---
How did you go painting your side grills? Iam doing mine at the moment, what a PITA.
--- End quote ---

I stuffed mine up the first time. When I had some paint troubles (theres a big thread about it under yours) I had a paint tech from PPG come out and give me a hand. When he was there he showed me how he'd paint the grills and did a demo run to display proper technique.

Instead of doing full length passes and then side ways passes like I did the first time (getting too much paint build up) he painted each egg crate seperately in a quick semi circular movement. This meant no paint crossing over and a perfect job. I wish that when he was here doing it that it wasnt just a demo and he did them for me!

After you've finished painting them, then take a razor blade to reveal the chrome (so I've been told - I have to do these again myself)

wabco40:

--- Quote from: demonx link=topic=7864.msg1045938075#msg1045938075 ---
--- Quote from: wabco40 ---How did you go painting your side grills? Iam doing mine at the moment, what a PITA.
--- End quote ---

I stuffed mine up the first time. When I had some paint troubles (theres a big thread about it under yours) I had a paint tech from PPG come out and give me a hand. When he was there he showed me how he'd paint the grills and did a demo run to display proper technique.

Instead of doing full length passes and then side ways passes like I did the first time (getting too much paint build up) he painted each egg crate seperately in a quick semi circular movement. This meant no paint crossing over and a perfect job. I wish that when he was here doing it that it wasnt just a demo and he did them for me!

After you've finished painting them, then take a razor blade to reveal the chrome (so I've been told - I have to do these again myself)
--- End quote ---

I have painted mine with epoxy primer but masked up the raised chrome edge. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. I laid mask tape along the full lenght of each chrome edge then cut the corners in with a new sharp #11 xacto blade. I then folded the tape down the sides of the raised edge. There is a lip at the bottom of the raised edge that is a good guide for cutting the excess tape off.
I have the same problem with uneven coverage when I shot the primer. I have since sanded the primer back with 800 and have broken through in quite a few places. I will try doing the PPG reps method next time.

I am planning on remasking the raised edges again and then shooting wet on wet with a very fine coat of primer and then the base colour. I have got clear coat that is suitable for base coat and non ferrous metal. I will remove the masking and then shoot the clear.
I am not sure how this is going to come out. If it dosn't work then it will be back to the paint stripper and start again!!!

wabco40:
Fitting the front clip and inner fenders. Its a case of dry fit 55 times and bond once.

Jethro:
Cleanest workshop floor i've sen in a long time Webco40:banner::banner::banner::banner::banner::banner:

wabco40:

--- Quote from: Jethro link=topic=7864.msg1045938081#msg1045938081 ---Cleanest workshop floor i've sen in a long time Webco40:banner::banner::banner::banner::banner::banner:
--- End quote ---

Not at the moment it ain't.

Front clip finally bonded on. Front door gaps still need to be cut.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version