Author Topic: hi all new here. 80 mod with carbie prob  (Read 5326 times)

Offline markekemp

hi all new here. 80 mod with carbie prob
« on: July 29, 2010, 09:26:36 AM »
just bought 80 model , took her down for rego , drivin home she felt like it was starving for feul when check engine light came on ,cleaned inline filter, put 98% feul in , gave it to her cleard a bit but the check engine light comes on a few times runs sluggish , if i turn the ignision off and back on again runs fine , (sensor light go out) iam thinkin sencor on the carbie ? is there any way to by pass the sencors or check which one is playing up?
thanks marke

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 01:02:30 PM »
What carb do you have?  Is it the original Rochester or a Holley (carb No's would help)?  I assume your timing, plugs, leads etc are all fine?

Vacuum advance hooked to the right port on the carb?  Poorly adjusted vac sec door spring (rochester)? Heaps of gunk in the carb?

I'm sure someone with an 80 will chime in.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 01:37:14 PM »
What suburb are you in?
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline markekemp

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 04:51:06 PM »
thanks ,original Rochester , where would i find the numbers ?
Iam at Buff point 2262 Central coast, So would a faulty plug send it into limp mode (or does it not have Limp mode)

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 05:39:58 PM »
Quote from: markekemp link=topic=7756.msg1045937592#msg1045937592
Iam at Buff point 2262 Central coast

I was going to recommend a carby guy in Sydney if you don't solve the problem yourself.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 06:06:25 PM »
Didn't think 80's had a computer so I wouldn't think it can go into limp mode.  Carb numbers should be on the front of the carb, usually on the top.

Rochesters look complicated but are pretty easy - I have a tech sheet on how to set them up right (Thanks Lars) if you want me to email it.

Does it only do it when you nail it or under normal light acceleration?

Offline markekemp

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 10:17:04 AM »
It runs fine ill drive from here to toukley (8 ks) then the check engine light comes on got no guts ( like limp mode) turn ingision off and back on while drving ,light gos out , runs fine , if i cant fix it over the next week or so ill take it to someone , but id rather get more input from others and try myself. i was told that mine is the first of the computers b4 the feul injection, (i dont know enogh about vettes yet this is my first ive been doin cars up for years , (i owned the madmax interceptor on the coast And i own the 66 batmobile tribute (from a val) what was in streetmachine at christmas).
My vin number on the vette is1Z87HAS408886. Ithought it was a 350 , but now looking up info its a 305 (correct me if Iam wrong) from california, Anti poultion laws, .
the numbers on my carbie Rochester quad .17080504 3129CKH .it has apart from electric choke two plugs with three wires goin into the top of the carbie,
lookin 4ward to sorting her out love drivin it, iam now a big vet fan.

Offline markekemp

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 10:19:19 AM »
numbers on top of carbie on the butterflies 58411 ,584C9

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 10:59:26 AM »
Here's some rochester carb sites that might be handy.

Tech Info

Code definition

Also, a check of your plugs will tell if it is lean or rich.

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 12:12:35 PM »
When is starts running rough, pop the bonnet and rgab the fuel line where is goes into the carby.  Maybe it's getting too hot.

Could be a badly adjusted carb, and when the auto choke cuts out, it runs rough.

Or could be an electrical problem.  Something like the coil getting hot and playing up.  Any computer would be for the ignition if it still had a carb so that might be why the light comes on.

Everything is a guess though.  Good luck with it.

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 06:30:41 PM »
Hi Mark, (or is it Marke)
Is that a white car? If so, I think the last owner, if you bought it locally, had the same problem. There are two carb guys locally, Gerard at Allan Ross in Arizona Rd Charmhaven and the guy at Central Coast Carburettors in Gosford.
Have you still got the batmobile? If so, can you post a photo up on this thread. Although not everyone's cup of tea, it's an awesome motor car, I'm sure others would like to see it. If you can't post photos, email me one or two at rdwalker@tpg.com.au and I'll post them for you.
Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 07:14:37 PM »
Had a look at some yankee forums about the '80's Corvette. Here's a couple of quotes.

"The 1980 was offered with 3 option engines, the LG4 - 305 california, L48 - 350 and the L82 - 350 being the highest horsepower."

"The Computers started to creep in to the mix in '81 and '82"

"'80 had HEI ignition, Q-jet carb similar to previous years"

Here's a link to more info about the '80 'Vette.

http://100megsfree4.com/corvette/1980/vet80.htm
Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline markekemp

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 07:43:44 PM »
thanks , that is a very informative site, and thanks grey man sending me the carbie specs
as i said know very little on vets (at the moment lol)  she is  red my mate Mark bently from Newcastle brings a few over from the states from time to time . he had 4 so i picked this one.

Offline Gray-man

• Two Barrel
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 09:05:31 PM »
Hi Mark,Just looking through my Corvette little black book and it seems the 1980 California only 305 had stainless steel exhaust headers with an oxygen sensor and Chevs new"computer command control " ignition that was used on all Corvettes the next year and as your check engine light is coming on you may have a ignition problem if so it may be easier to just revert back to a HEI dizzy from previous years ,From what I have read that seems to be the common fix as this happens quite often

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 09:27:57 PM »
And here's Marke's Batmobile. I've seen the car a few times, it's truely amazing.

Bob Walker
Long Jetty