Author Topic: Inspecting and purchasing a C2 (or C3)  (Read 5990 times)

Offline mrmarkos

Inspecting and purchasing a C2 (or C3)
« on: July 21, 2010, 11:22:05 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'd like to buy and import a C2 (or possibly a C3) from the USA and I've been reading the posts on this forum, but there's still a few things I haven't been able to figure out.

Does anyone have any recomendations for someone who could do pre purchase inspections on a car I find? Considering we're on the other side of the world from where the car will be I'd need someone who could do inspections potentially anywhere in the US and knows what to look for in these cars.

Once, I've found the car how do I arrange for the appropriate paper work to be filled and have the title changed over to my name? I figure I can send the money straight to their bank account via an online transfer but that's not something I'd be keen on doing with no guarantee that they will hand the papers / keys over after it's done.

How have other people on the site handled these matters? Is there some sort of broker that can take care of these matters for me?

Any recomendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Markos

Offline toyvet

• Tri Powered
  • Club Plate Registrar
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 07:51:52 PM »
Hello and wellcome to our forum---if you are in sydney I can put you in contact with a friend that has a C3 76 for sale  left hand drive ,white ,auto, NSW rego

Regards

Jorge

Offline mrmarkos

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 07:47:22 AM »
Thanks for the offer but I'm not going to be buying for a couple of months yet and I really have my heart set on a manual c2 coupe right now and the local c2's all seem overpriced to me. I'm just trying to get the logistics worked out to make things as smooth as possible when the time comes.

I haven't ruled out making my way over there personally either as we've been considering a trip to the us anyway.    

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 09:04:52 AM »
Welcome to the forum mrmarkos.

Try this link. http://www.ncrs.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=8

It's to the NCRS here in Aus. Contact the club Prez, I'm sure he will be able to answer some of your questions.
CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 01:17:03 PM »
Quote from: mrmarkos link=topic=7752.msg1045937569#msg1045937569
I'm not going to be buying for a couple of months.

How'd you go with that?

Quote from: mrmarkos link=topic=7752.msg1045937569#msg1045937569
the local c2's all seem overpriced to me.

Agreed!

s

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 08:20:57 PM »
you have the rite idea
Find a few vehicles the  suit you  then,
Get someone trustworthy to do inspections for you.

Quite a lot of local vehicle have large asking prices

With more people becoming comfortable with the importing process the local pricing will come down for the average vehicles when the sellers come to reality

The top of the line vehicles will make good prices
And will sell reasonable fast.

You see some cars offered for sale for years in some cases which should tell the seller a story.

Now when you find a real quality vehicle in the US then be repaired to pay a descent price for it. Good to excellent vehicle will not come with low pricing
Over there or back here at home.
 Bfit

I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 08:41:47 PM »
Quote from: Bfit link=topic=7752.msg1045941576#msg1045941576
you have the rite idea
Find a few vehicles the  suit you  then,
Get someone trustworthy to do inspections for you.

Quite a lot of local vehicle have large asking prices

With more people becoming comfortable with the importing process the local pricing will come down for the average vehicles when the sellers come to reality

The top of the line vehicles will make good prices
And will sell reasonable fast.

You see some cars offered for sale for years in some cases which should tell the seller a story.

Now when you find a real quality vehicle in the US then be repaired to pay a descent price for it. Good to excellent vehicle will not come with low pricing
Over there or back here at home.
 Bfit

Just be sure I've heard of some real great deals to be had.... new parts, motor up rebuilds, paint and interiors and all thr photo's look really schmick, only to find when they arrive down under the build quality is less than desirable and a heaps more $$$$$ need to be thrown at em...

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 09:00:13 PM »
I've been keeping an eye out and there are good deals particularly those who've done restos then find they could use the cash and have to sell.

I'm also being realistic, if it looks good in the photo expect it to be less than what it is, just like with any detailed car. Always good to have someone of note to inspect it.

What I really find ridiculous is from what I can see the main difference between the average and outlandish prices are 'numbers matching'.

Personally, I don't see the big deal, I don't mind a good restomod, numbers matching would be nice but I'd choose a ground up resto or restomod over a numbers matching 'worn' daily driver any day.

s

Offline Sting 69

• Four Barrel
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 08:20:32 AM »
Hi Markos,
I used Automobile inspections to look at 2 corvettes in the states before I bought mine. They were great, took heaps of photos and are a worthy company to use. The cost for the inspection was about $350, but definitely worth every cent. the process was easy, I just informed the seller that someone was coming to inspect the car and they did the rest. I had a report in my hands in 72 hours.

Here is the link: http://www.automobileinspections.com/

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 08:39:06 AM »
I am with you  Stephen
 the yanks  make a big deal of number matching
but lets face facts these are mass production vehicles.
 A good to excellent Restoration  would be as true to original as possible
That for me does not mean  all the components of the car must be original.

Watching Mecans   auctions last night  a L88 sold for i think 210K US, or some ridicules figure like that.
I don't get that at all.

we all should remember that that the yanks  like to make every thing they do sound important.
they do have the world series base Ball
all participants  are US based. ( world Series ?)
I can not get my head around that at all.

A word Form one that has been burnt.

A photo can hide a thousand faults

Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 09:15:46 AM »
Quote from: Bfit link=topic=7752.msg1045941585#msg1045941585
the yanks  make a big deal of number matching

It goes on here too. I know of a guy doing up a Torana and he made sure the 253 engine had the right prefix for that particular Torana, not just any 253 from any Holden.  I can appreciate it but I wouldn't pay a lot extra for an exact twin with a similar 253 from say, a HQ.  

I can understand in the case of Mustangs and such where a million were sold and molested along the way, you may want something a little special with matching numbers but to me thats what the limited/sports models are for.

I notice also if the car originally came with accessories - just as big a deal but you can add these yourself. Air conditioning I understand especially if it's all integrated into the dash but I'm not going to shell out a heap more because the car was optioned with headrests.

Watching Mecans auctions last night  a L88 sold for i think 210K US, or some ridicules figure like that.

I don't get that at all.

Ahh, that's a little different, the L88 is similar to an L34 Torana - the namesake and whole point of it is for it to have an L34 spec. engine.

In Aus. though Holden didn't match the engine numbers to chassis number so unless you can track down some GM-H registry, if it even exists today you won't know if it's the original engine.  The engine prefix can tell you what car it came from but not which exact car.

A word from one that has been burnt.

A photo can hide a thousand faults

Yep, always pays to inspect and avoid anyone who sends fuzzy photos - they're hiding rust and bog.

The buyer purchased on the photo above, the seller told him there was some rust but not much. This is what he ended up with:

s

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 12:07:15 PM »
Stephen
I bought a 1969   427 BB manual coup  a couple of years back
 The car is generally OK and I use that term loosely.
 it need considerable work

The car actual arrived with clone 454 with 1974 block  with L88 accessories.and roller cam and rockers  aluminum heads
the tacho is re set to red line at 6800.
god know what is was being used for, racing of some sort  
This car has some grunt. for a drive on our roads it not practical.

If I ever get  to doing the work it requires  It will be a nice car.
its a long way down the list of projects at the moment.
Bfit

Winston Churchill

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 12:15:58 PM »
Quote from: Bfit link=topic=7752.msg1045941589#msg1045941589
The car actual arrived with clone 454 with 1974 block with L88 build

This car has some grunt. for a drive on our roads it not practical.

The L88's were a very high performance engine as close to a pure racing engine as Chevy had ever offered in regular production.  

They required 103-octane racing fuel which was only available at select petrol stations in the USA.

As rare and desirable as they may be, not a practical car at all.

Then again Corvettes aren't known for their practicality.

:)

s