Author Topic: Importing a C3 resto-mod  (Read 3308 times)

Offline C3RestoMod

Importing a C3 resto-mod
« on: April 03, 2010, 08:59:27 PM »
Hi guys, posted this a moment ago in the wrong section, then tried to look for a similar post to no avail...

If I had a C3 with a Street Shop custom chassis with an LS1 (for eg.) and other mod stuff underneath built in the US, and if I imported it here, would it be classified as a 'new' car or would it be given the '30 year grace', essentially eliminating the need for RHD conversion etc etc.

After reading some threads it seems like customs, RTA etc don't really know much either!

Thanks if you can help and thanks if you can't :)

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
Importing a C3 resto-mod
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 09:29:54 PM »
Strikes me as being similar to importing a hot rod.

If the car was manufactured 30 or more years ago, then under current regulations in NSW it doesn't need to be converted. So I guess your challenge is to prove its date of manufacture to the satisfaction of the various authorities.

As for the modifications, the usual engineer's certificate would be required prior to a blue slip.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline C3RestoMod

Importing a C3 resto-mod
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 11:03:13 PM »
Right, ok. It sounds like it would probably fall under the hot rod category but I guess that depends on a number of factors which would require plenty of calls and eventually paperwork. Could be a nightmare!

Scouring the web, some people have done something very similar but still doesn't mean it's easy.

Thanks for the tips :)

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
Importing a C3 resto-mod
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 12:13:23 AM »
Quote from: C3RestoMod link=topic=7630.msg1045937110#msg1045937110
would require plenty of calls and eventually paperwork. Could be a nightmare!

Start with this mob. Without an approval to import you're going nowhere.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/index.aspx
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
Importing a C3 resto-mod
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 12:43:09 PM »
The argument would be that the chassis is a replacement part, just like if you replaced the door, bonnet or engine.  It's still a 30 year old car.  It's still just a part (albeit a large part) of the car and should have had the original chassis number stamped onto it.  The same goes for those re-pro bodies you can get for camaros and mustangs.