Author Topic: Front Suspension  (Read 4158 times)

Offline david_moore

• Four Barrel
Front Suspension
« on: September 28, 2003, 07:42:17 PM »
Started dismantling the front suspension this afternoon, an overhaul is well overdue. All is going quite well, however.... The right lower control arm refuses to let go of the chassis. I have removed the steering knuckle, brakes and hub etc. Three bolts hold the pivot arm, I have removed the front two, and undone the 7\8" nut at the back. That 7\8" bolt will simply not let go of the wishbone!
Has anyone got any good ideas to remove, or loosen up the offending bolt!
Please help;37

Offline Brutus

• Fuel Injected
    • http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/brutus
Front Suspension
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2003, 08:02:24 PM »
Dave...Well I hope you're happy now! You just made me put down my glass of red wine and crawl around on the garage floor looking to see which bolt you were talking about. Just for that I'm not gonna help! So there.:22
Seriously tho Dave I can't remember having any problem getting the lower arms off when I did my front end. All I can possibly suggest is that all the weight is now resting on that bolt and so could be making it grab a bit at an odd angle. I would try putting the other mounting bolts back and let them take up some of the weight then try removing the big bolt first this time. Hope this helps.

Bob
BOB

THE C3 SHARK TANK - The best, first, and oldest site for owners of 1968 to 1982 Corvettes

Offline Twin_Turbo

Front Suspension
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2003, 08:43:44 PM »
The rear cross shaft bolt?

Try to back it out bu turning, if that won't work use a hamemr to whackit out. The frame is not threaded, the bolt just slides through and sectures with a nut. If someone incorrectly installed it or if there has been some movement in the arm due to who knows what (hitting a curb or something will do that) the bolt thread could be locked into the frame. The hammer is your friend here. After you're done, inspect the frame for burrs and clean it up, you don't want the metal to shear on you there.

Offline david_moore

• Four Barrel
Front Suspension
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2003, 08:48:04 PM »
Good call Brutus, I was going to start this job next weekend as i was to help paint a mates corvette today, we finished yesterday. so could not help myself and began to tear my corvette apart. A little too eager perhaps. I have just used a little penetrine and hope that eases things for tomorrow.;30

Offline david_moore

• Four Barrel
Front Suspension
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2003, 08:54:28 PM »
Top pic twin turbo!! Shows the bolt nicely, I did think it may have been threaded to the pivot arm, but when doing the left side it simply fell out. The right side of my Corvette has taken a hit at some stage, perhaps a bit harder than I thought. Thanks Guys for your help!:22

Offline david_moore

• Four Barrel
Front Suspension
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2003, 08:03:42 PM »
Well I am glad to say, Got that sucker out tonight. After a long day at work came home a little short on patience and bashed it out with me lump hammer!! I was a bit tired yesterday and gave all too easily. The left side has been loosened and ready to fall out. The offending bolt was just a little corroded. :{