Author Topic: Clean/polish Hooker Pipes  (Read 3277 times)

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Clean/polish Hooker Pipes
« on: February 18, 2010, 08:09:23 PM »
OK, as the title says, I'm trying to work out how I can sort out my hooker pipes (before I put them back on!) so that they are nice and shiny and stay that way. Probably a big ask, but I want to see what you all think. Short of spending the gazillions chroming them, what are some other affordable ways that I can get them looking clean and shiny for now and years to come?

Matt

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 10:44:49 AM »
Are they mild steel?
Spending some time with a wire brush on an angle grinder to clean them up, then coating them with the correct paint works if you are just after a general clean up.  If you want to go all out and get them nice, ceramic coating works well, but costs a bit more.  Chrome looks nice, but you can still get surface rust.

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 03:07:22 PM »
First of all - whats wrong with them?

Is it rust? Dirt? Paint? Scratches?

I just cleaned up a chrome piecee the other day that had paint all over it. I used a paint stripper and then Brite n shine and it came up really good.

If it's all dirty and scratched then maybe a scrub with steel wool and then a polish with a buffing wheel and metal polish might bring it up pretty good.

If it's all rusty then you would be looking at a recoat.

Got any pics of what you're talking about?

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 08:25:44 AM »
hi mattrix,sounds like your done with them exhaust manifolds?how is the vett comeing along?

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 10:15:54 PM »
I was gonna get a photo of them to put in here but didn't get around to it. It's basically a combination of rust and tarnish.

And yeah Glenn, done with the manifolds, except I have to organise a hoist so I can get my sidepipes back on! Any ideas...? And yeah, there's some woodstock coming your way. And I owe the guy that gave me the vette exhaust some beers as well. Keen to get these sidepipes on though, but as I mentioned I'd like to get them cleaned up first.