Author Topic: Starting problems  (Read 6005 times)

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Starting problems
« on: July 22, 2009, 01:45:22 PM »
(Thread slit from - L82 auto transmission question)

TH350 it is. Just ordered a gasket for that so hopefully I'm right (pretty damn sure I'm right though).

Onto something that may or may not be related to the transmission, I have a heck of a time trying to star the damn thing sometimes. I think it has something to do with the selector switch, because i put the ignition into the right position, then click it and it does nothing (just loses some power in the fan and ceiling light). Sometimes after a while of playing with the gear stick I will be able to get it to turn over, but sometimes (like today) it just flat out refuses. Any ideas? It's driving me nuts and it's a bit embarassing if I go to take someone out in it and it just doesn't attempt to even turn over.

Thanks

Matt

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
Starting problems
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 01:55:43 PM »
Originally posted by Mattrix
Sometimes after a while of playing with the gear stick I will be able to get it to turn over, but sometimes (like today) it just flat out refuses. Any ideas?

My first thought is to check the inhibitor switch and circuit -- the one that does not let the engine crank if the transmission is not in park position.

The problem could be elsewhere but, from what you say above, that's the first thing I'd check.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Starting problems
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 02:14:50 PM »
How do I get to that exactly? Have never had to play around with that in any car, let alone a corvette :)

Matt

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
Starting problems
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 02:32:39 PM »
How do I get to that exactly? Have never had to play around with that in any car, let alone a corvette :)

Do yourself a big favour and buy the Workshop Manual for your model.

Genuine GM manuals are available through Chromie and Chevparts to name two suppliers.

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
Starting problems
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 05:25:49 PM »
Originally posted by gtc

Do yourself a big favour and buy the Workshop Manual for your model.

Genuine GM manuals are available through Chromie and Chevparts to name two suppliers.

;30

But until you do, here ya go.........

I don't know what year yours is but It's located under the console on a 77 and I would suggest on yours too.

If you click on each picture it will open a pdf document that you can save to your computer for future reference

To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Starting problems
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 08:48:47 AM »
;51

Also:

- Could be a bad earth lead from the battery to the block.  I had the same trouble with my 85 and that was the problem.  Next time it happens connect a jumper lead from battery to the block.

- The slider from the ignition barrel to the ignition switches, located at under the dash on top of the column, may not be connecting.  My 71 had a screw missing (one each end) which allowed it to flex enough for the contacts not to connect.

- You should short out the starter motor to ensure that it is actually in the wiring from the ignition and not the starter motor.

;42

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
Starting problems
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 10:43:44 AM »
Originally posted by 77CVT
- You should short out the starter motor to ensure that it is actually in the wiring from the ignition and not the starter motor.

Short out? Good way to start a fire.

Do you mean isolate?

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Starting problems
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 12:24:11 PM »
You've never had to start a car with a screwdriver before????

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
Starting problems
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 12:27:06 PM »
Originally posted by 77CVT
You've never had to start a car with a screwdriver before????

Nope, but I've had to use a broomstick down through the extractors to get the starter motor to respond, LOL!

So, what you mean is to bypass the ignition switch circuit by putting battery directly on the starter solenoid.

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Starting problems
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 02:38:32 PM »
Ah yes....the old "technical tap".

Yep - never been good with words!  ;-)

Offline WARFARIN

• Four Barrel
Starting problems
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 09:51:23 PM »
Good on you Cam!

I was going to suggest he get a "real" transmission ;53 [manual] and do away with inhibitor switches but your post shows that Americans of both shifts require some sort of assitance to stop them starting in gear??:fun

Does that mean you could not clutch start a manual Corvette? ;29 Ithink it does [in standard trime anyway].:24

David

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Starting problems
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 01:24:13 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions guys. Funnily enough I was having more of a play with it, and managed to fix it.
Basically, when I put the key in the "on" position, a fan was whirring up. Turns out it was the air conditioning box that sits just in front of the firewall on the right hand side (if facing from the driver seat, towards the front of the car). I thought "I wonder what happens if I unplug it", so I did. Car fired up first go. Seems that was the culprit, from what I can gather anyway. It was possibly sucking away voltage or causing a bad earth... I'm not entirely sure. It could be related to when I got the car in Sydney when it first arrived in the country, I had a guy wire up the fuse links because they were dodgy, not sure if what he did could've affected this area (probably not) but it's just another idea.

Matt

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Starting problems
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 09:37:54 AM »
The fan shouldn't draw that much to prevent starting, unless it is on high speed - the draw on high is a fair bit in most cars.  How old is your battery?  Maybe it's down on the cranking amps?

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
Starting problems
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 05:42:12 PM »
Sounds like the inhibit switch is out of adjustment remove the R/hand side of console get a torch & there will be 2 small arrows cast into bakelite limit switch cant remember if they line up in neutral or park adjust to suit. Check with a multimeter on ohms unplug purple /purple white wires should be made in park or nuetral

Offline WARFARIN

• Four Barrel
Starting problems
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
What was I thinking? ;53 Ignore my comments about clutch starts etc! Other than praise for Cam!;35

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Starting problems
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 03:01:28 PM »
Hmm, yeah seems as though it's actually 2 issues, both of which don't seem to be related to the a/c fan, and both of which are unrelated to each other.
From what I can tell, the solenoid on the starter motor is on its way out, and the inhibit switch is stuffing up. So, with those 2 combined, you can see why it has been a bitch to start. When one is misbehaving, the other is fine, and it obviously takes both of them to behave before I can start it.

On another note, I successfully blue slipped the car yesterday! Meaning I will have it registered as soon as I can scrape together some funds. Exciting stuff :D

Matt

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
Starting problems
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009, 04:23:47 PM »
On another note, I successfully blue slipped the car yesterday! Meaning I will have it registered as soon as I can scrape together some funds. Exciting stuff :D

Good news. ;)

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
Starting problems
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2009, 06:40:28 PM »
;53

If you are still having trouble, this may sound stupid , but I had the same problem and all it turned out to be was that the auto gear lever knob had become partly unscrewed and the switch was not making contact.

;52