Author Topic: Wanted- Importing Tips and Advice!  (Read 6975 times)

Offline pjwilliams2

Wanted- Importing Tips and Advice!
« on: June 25, 2009, 08:41:49 PM »
Hello All!

I've just signed up to the forum and look forward to learning from some of the forum members experiences. I'm looking to import a '68-'72 C3 corvette from the States in the near future and am trying to educate myself about what is involved and how to go about this task. I think I'm getting a pretty good handle on the individual processes but need help in determining how to tie all these processes together.

I guess co-ordinating inspections, finance, shipping and  export/import documentation is where I need help. I'm very keen to learn from fellow Corvette lovers any up to date informtion covering all aspects of the purchase and importation of a vehicle from the US. Tips about where to find vehicles on the net, right the way through to port procedures in Australia are being sought.

Any and all information will be gratefully accepted. I'm searching for a vehicle that is not perfect but has a good chassis and body with decent mechanicals. I can live with a machine that still needs some minor maintenance to get completely roadworthy - It's my first Corvette and Budget is a factor here. Just looking for something that can be registered in NSW with only light maintenance required, and can be driven and enjoyed for a few years before a possible serious restoration.

Please Help!!

Patrick

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 09:36:59 PM »
Welcome.

How about joining the Club and getting to know the members and C3 owners, many of whom do not use this Forum.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
Hi Patrick, where are you located?
Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline pjwilliams2

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 12:08:02 AM »
Firstly, I think I would look at joining joining a club, but probably only once I have made a purchase of a vehicle - then I'll know I really will require the helpful benefits that networking can provide down the line ;eek

Secondly, I live in the Shoalhaven, down Nowra way.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 12:11:13 AM »
Nowra is a bit of a problem, but there are advantages to joining first and letting it be known you are looking. That's what I did.

What's your budget?

Offline pjwilliams2

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 09:54:18 AM »
I'm looking at only spending up to $20000 Au on the purchase of the vehicle itself. I know this won't get me a great example of a C3 Chromie but I think something with a decent frame and body and not a wreck of an engine or interior is not out of the question.
I'm prepared to have to perform some maintenance and restoration myself to get the vehicle roadworthy and comfortable. This does not bother me - rather, this whole project started out as a suggestion from my wife that I should get a car to fix up as a hobby and steadily improve over time.
We all need our hobbies :22

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 12:32:33 PM »

You have a user-2-user message. Click on U2U at top right of screen.

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 11:37:18 PM »
get an importer to do all the paper work mate....far easier...you pay him, and pick your car up when it lands...
you wont save a great deal of money by doing all the running around yourself...
i have a mate who imports cars, and the paper work is mind blowing..
some of the importers will find you  a car in your price range... they will supply you with a detailed report, WITH pictures..
good mate of mine bought a 68 camaro sight unseen, and got it shipped out.the car is in so bad a condition its never been driven on aussie soil.
the running gear will be pulled (fitted to a hk monaro), and the body scrapped.
he chose to do it himself rather than get a licensed importer to actually check the car out on his behalf.... the landed price for the hunk of crap was around the 25 grand mark...
once bitten twice shy...its something he said he will never do again.

Offline MR 69ER

• Four Barrel
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 08:26:02 PM »
G'day Patrick I've sent you a U2U, have a read & get back to me.

Cheers
Steve

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 03:55:16 PM »
Word of advice from a once dissapionted fello.

Look at the car yourself before buying. Dont trust others to look at it for you!

I had a great 76 coupe I drove every day. Sold it to buy a 70 vert that I was "meant" to get on the road pretty much straight away.

Couple years later this wonderful 70 vert is stripped to pieces in my shed and will cost approx 3 - 4 times more than expected.

Sure many people get what they expect. Theres also the many that dont. Depends how rich you feel and if you can afford o gamble with tens of thousands. I couldn't and that why I'm still years from having the car on the road.

Offline Smithy007

• Two Barrel
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 06:06:44 PM »
Had to admit, I was one of the lucky ones that bought it sight unseen.  I did however, spend money on an independent inspection and got the seller to send a heap of photos (210 in total) and he was honest sounding from the start.

As said, I was lucky but heard a lot of horrors also.  I agree with nifty, get a reputable importer (who does fast boats direct to Aust) to take care of all  the paperwork, there are SO MANY things where you can come unstuck and end up having a car impounded for weeks costing you big $$$.

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 10:51:16 PM »
or better yet.... why import in the first place? PLENTY of vette for sale in australia.... yours was a bargain smithy.... that was one that HAD to be snapped up... and for whats been done to yours, you got a great deal.

Offline coradict72

• Four Barrel
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 08:02:11 PM »
Do yourself a big favour go over and get one yourself then you
can only blame yourself if you pick wrong look further than the red paint
which is a typical resell colour.
Dont trust anyone and stay with the purchase till its shipped

Offline jss0888

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 01:52:05 AM »

Here is a 1971 C3 convertible auto RHD  to be auctioned at Shannons in SYDNEY this month.   Estimated   price range  $ 22000 - 28000

I would not recommend buying one of these vehicles at auction but this car might be worth a close inspection.

http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/lot/?id=ME20NU9A6BQ418GE

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 04:01:13 AM »
Originally posted by jss0888

Here is a 1971 C3 convertible auto RHD  to be auctioned at Shannons in SYDNEY this month.  

Give it a big miss!

Why anybody would devalue a chrome bumper C3 by changing the front clip is beyond me.