Author Topic: parts supply  (Read 15232 times)

Offline Sting 69

• Four Barrel
parts supply
« on: June 18, 2009, 12:47:28 PM »
Hey guys just wondering who everyone uses as there parts suppliers for C3 vettes. I have looked at Corvette Net at Dee Why NSW but his prices seem a little high eg L88 Big Block bonnet approx $2k yet from the states it's about $1000 Aus.
   I 'm looking at starting a full chassis resto will need all suspension parts. Who can you recommend?

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
parts supply
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 01:17:15 PM »
Originally posted by Sting 69
L88 Big Block bonnet approx $2k yet from the states it's about $1000 Aus.

Have you added shipping cost for a large and heavy item? Also, import duty applies over $1,000.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline Sting 69

• Four Barrel
parts supply
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 04:17:37 PM »
Well $1000 was a rough price, it was acyually cheaper. But  I would load the parts into another car to avoid costs.

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
parts supply
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 04:22:48 PM »
Sometimes you can pick up a "fixer upper" for under 8k - depending on the amount of parts you need it might be worth it to go down that road?

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
parts supply
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 05:39:40 PM »
the l88 hoods do not come with the cowl for the air cleaner under the hood,you will have to add the price of that plus fitment,then you will need the air cleaner for the carby to suit the l88 hood

Offline Sting 69

• Four Barrel
parts supply
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 05:39:46 PM »
Nah the car is sweet. I posted some new pics today, but the suspension is like a poggo stick in the back and the rear spring has sagged. I was going to go for the heavy duty 9 leaf rear end. It squarts really badly on take off. I want to get a prices on parts before I take the body off. I did see a new supplier in Just parts who was local in Sydney. The name escapes me at present.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
parts supply
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 06:14:23 PM »
Are you a club member? If so look in the June newsletter.

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
parts supply
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 09:10:52 PM »
I've got the L88 cowl thingmy for the underside of the bonnet brand new, I'm trying to sell it cheaper than you can get here!If anyone is interested!
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline Sting 69

• Four Barrel
parts supply
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 07:49:15 AM »
No gtc I'm not a club member. Couldn't see the point in joining when my car isn't on the road. It takes the fun out of it. I want to build the car into a Baldwin ZL 1 type car but without the body mods. Mainly stripes and the L88 bonnet. I just find the car is to bland and not aggressive enough.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
parts supply
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 12:25:39 PM »
69 Dirty Rat is the 'go to' guy for ZL-1 replicas.

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
parts supply
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 12:28:26 PM »
I have completely rebuilt the rear suspension of my 73 and I've used:
VBandP
Van Steel
and Corvette Central

Corvette central suck at packing stuff and use a box twice what's required so it costs more for shipping.

VBandP are good for shipping and easy to deal with. They will have all the suspension parts.

Van Steel are a little hard to deal with, but not too bad.  They package stuff up pretty well, but I had someone pick it up from their factory and bring it back as luggage, so saved on shipping :) .  They should send stuff though.  I haven't bought much locally, except from ebay (2nd hand parts only).  I have found it too expensive.

HTH

There is also ecklers and a few others.  I just compared the prices between them.

Offline Sting 69

• Four Barrel
parts supply
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 04:29:26 PM »
Thanks for the help. I have a Mid America Motorworks catalogue which has about everything in it. Shame they aren't in Australia or I would be there all the time ;54

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
parts supply
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 05:07:40 PM »
Originally posted by Sting 69
Thanks for the help.  

You have a User-2-User message. Click on U2U at top right of your screen.

Offline Sting 69

• Four Barrel
parts supply
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 09:48:25 PM »
Thanks gtc I thought there was a guy in Yennora. i used to live near there. There is also a guy in Smithfield that does Chevy parts but I haven't spoken to him as yet.
 I have looked on the Rat Pack site before. I am curious as to who is the lovely lady standing next to Andy's beautiful ZL 1 :spook

Offline WARFARIN

• Four Barrel
parts supply
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 08:55:57 PM »
I'm with Scott,
VB&P are excellent to deal with. I have also used Ecklers, ZIP and Corvette America. Interestingly some products from ZIP and Ecklers are rebadged from Corvette America??

Don't write off Chromie [Corvette.net] on price! A lot of the fiberglass panels from the USA require massive adjustment to get them to fit. And when I say massive I mean MASSIVE!! I've been burnt!!

Corvette body panels fit was not that good from the factory. But my old urethane rear cover was a street in front of USA fiberglass replacement, the errors due to the seams in the mold were bad enough!! The job ahead will be way more expensive than the difference in cost of CAC vs Eklers/Zip?

Offline bayley74

• Two Barrel
parts supply
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 08:44:12 PM »
Hello, For what it is worth i find ordering all my parts form the US is so much cheaper than any one else here in Aus. Even though postage is high, it still works out to be 25 to almost 50% cheaper every time. I have pretty much restored my 79 Vette in the last year and have had around $5k worth of parts sent over and would hate to see how much that would have cost locally.
I have looked at Ecklers, Coast Corvette and a bunch of others in America, bu i always end up back at Willcox Corvette. If find that every time there end price including shipping is always the cheapest. Most of their items may only be 2,3 10 dollars cheaper, but their shipping is always cheaper than the others. That's not to say there aren't cheaper suppliers out there, this is just what i have found from my own personal experience.
Also i am aware of the rule surrounding import duties for items over $1000, however i have put through 4 orders within the last 3 years that have been at times up to $2000, and haven't to this day had to pay import duties any any orders. So i am not sure how they govern or police their policies, maybe i am just lucky.... so far.. :-)
Apparently locally there is a guy in Bankstown called Greg Morris from Corvette Restorations or something like that, apparently he has a few parts, or used to any way. I will find his is details and attach them.

Corvette Restorations – Greg Morris
Unit 3, 62 Stacey Street South, Bankstown NSW 2200
Ph: 0418 440 131, Fax: (02) 9541 4402

Offline Sting 69

• Four Barrel
parts supply
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 09:16:05 PM »
Thanks mate. I think I met Greg Morris at a car show at Camden last year. The guy I met does soda blasting on cars and restores corvettes, if my memory serves me correctly.
  It seems from peoples advice that the USA is still the way to go. I was recently going to purchase some bike parts on Evilbay but the postage cost was more than the parts. It just didn't make sense. The weight is always a killer.

Offline ozpont

• Four Barrel
parts supply
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 06:16:44 PM »
"Thanks for the help. I have a Mid America Motorworks catalogue which has about everything in it. Shame they aren't in Australia or I would be there all the time "

.. trouble is they would have to double their US$ prices to cover warehousing as slow selling MASSIVE VARIED range of parts.. particularly ccosmetics.. plus cover constant freight needs to keep things moving faster then the post half way around the world.... and be hit with Australian Super premiums, Workers comp, sickies, warehousing, local and other tax's GST etc.. etc etc.   Ever wonder why most every specialized American parts business in Oz is 90% owner operated..  they sure aint rich...   Best to stay small.
    I figure.. with some experience .. that you would need to STORE HERE around US$$1,000,000 in Corvette STOCK HERE.. just to kick on.. and make a dent in the  say 63-82 era needs..   AND.. make sure.. all your prices .. FLOAT WITH THE US$ each day... somehow... also now compete with stock closer to suppliers in the USA or people working from their trailer park on  Ebay in the USA.. who don't have to cover costs.. etc..

Having a super stocked Corvette specialized business.. stand alone.. is really .. impossible to do .. in this country .. OR.. any country out side the USA.. "just Corvette" is by too specialized a marque, with an equally uneven socio-economic clientelle.   Just gotta got over it.. try to help where possible.. that's why you also ask for donations from LOCAL club sponsors..... not just for decoratoin...
    In many ways.. we are lucky to have the range of people we DO in this country .. and the  ability .. and freedom .. to buy in .. in good time etc.

Offline silver1

• Four Barrel
parts supply
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 06:20:33 PM »
I'm pretty  sure they[seatbelts] have to be passed by Australian standards, best to check before ordering

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
parts supply
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
you may also want to get quotes from MAXX WRENCH,...
he seems to sell a LOT cheaper and is a favorite for aussie on another corvette forum im on in australia...
ask for donnie...
he will FIND and orgainse what ever he doesnt stock, and is generally a lot cheaper than the others...and faster as well...

http://maxxwrench.com/index.html