Author Topic: C3 Body repair - what product?  (Read 5859 times)

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
C3 Body repair - what product?
« on: April 17, 2009, 06:15:25 PM »
Anybody know of a product that is available here in Australia and is good for fixing cracks in a C3 body?

Also - does anyone know fur sure what the 1970 body is made from as I've read on another forum that the later ones are SMC and the earlier ones are fibreglass. So what's the 1970?

If it's SMC we have to use an Epoxy Resin, however - what sort? There are thousands!

If it's fibreglass, then what?

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 05:33:16 PM »
chromie is the man to give a c all;26

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 11:28:03 PM »
^ What he said. ;26
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 06:23:15 AM »
I gave Chromie a call.

He was very helpful and upfront with info, which I am more than grateful for.

Thanks Chromie.

Now - since I took up about twenty minutes of his time I figured I'd post some of the info he shared so that maybe others can spare him the agony I created!

Quick in the nut shell process:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rub back repair areas to bare glass using 36 grit dry paper

Do fibreglass repairs using vinylester , strand 225 and black pigment and make sure to use a consolidator. Also said 5 layers min and 10 max.

wait 2 months for fibreglass repairs to cure

rub rest of car back to bare glass with 80 grit dry

spray polyester based sealer - rub back to 180 - 230 dry

spray vario primer - rub to 400 dry

spray with radial sealer - rub back ready for base coat

base coat
clear coat
wet sand and cut/polish  

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 11:20:06 AM »
Actually the polyester sealer goes on first, then the vario primer, then the base coat then the clear;58

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 03:28:17 PM »
Are you saying the "Radial sealer" you spoke of IS the polyester sealer that gets sprayed on the bare glass??

What brand was that and the Vario, I forgot to write it down? Was it Permacron or something else ???

Thanks again for your help. I've been thinking it over today whilst at work and I reckon I can do this!

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 03:01:45 PM »
;27Yes the raderial is the sealer and the process of body prep and painting is a listed above
Permocon is part of the brand/type of paint product;ay

Offline WARFARIN

• Four Barrel
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 09:22:55 PM »
Permacron is by "Spies Hecker"

Demonx, be careful if your body has any previous repairs as 99% of repairers would do a rough job with the glass and smooth it out with plastic filler.

My Vette has had a front right repair that is a mixture as above. Was the best corner of the car until the full strip!

Some of the American sites and mag's reckon that sometimes a little plastic was used ex factory! But only for minor imperfections.

Plastic will "sand' much easier than fiberglass as it is soft and without the glass fibers; though there are some fiber reinforced plastic fillers. They are not as strong as the "resin and glass" repairs.

Ive seen these reinforced plastics used on the front edges of the doors for fixing gap issues but they are very weak in the adhesion department compared with resin.

Your Vette looks very presentable in your avatar, but I guess these imperfections relate to up close inspection.

Are you going the full respray?

Cheers

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 10:33:30 PM »
Funny you should ask.

I started the paint stripping yesterday. So far so good. Long road to travel yet though.

I have a fibreglass expert lined up to do the repair work (all minor stuff) and I'll be doing the prep and paint myself.

Will be a full inside and out respray in viper red. I can't wait till I get to paint stage. Don't worry - there will be pics!

Offline WARFARIN

• Four Barrel
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 09:22:52 PM »
Demonx,

Mine started life as a 25th Silver Anniversary but was changed to Black, then Gold, back to Black another Black re-spray and why not another Black re-spray.

I stripped back to the original Silver for 90% of the exterior with razor blades! No sanding! No chemicals! No "media" blasting! It just flaked off.

I've been using HT9000 resin from Whitworths Marine with various chopped strand mats and woven mats for repairs etc.

Also Epiglue and Epifill for afixing and filling. I'm using "mirror" conversion parts from Corvette QLD.

Long story; conversion already started when I bought the car. Past the point of no return!

What type of paint are you going to use? Do you have access to a paint booth?

Cheers

David

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 06:19:36 AM »
Mine is not coming off as easy as yours! trust me. It's a pain in the arse.

I've tried a few different ways on the rear quarter and I'm going with heat gun and paint scraper. Then sanding to get it smooth.

I'll be using a polyester spray putty (K & H makes one that sounds good) and over that PPG primer, base and clear.

No I don't have access to a booth, but I'll be doing a few things in my shed to make it usable. Will need to buy some fans and lights though. Many people have taken a few minor precautions and sprayed in their shed with excellent results.