Author Topic: another good engine rebuilder  (Read 4699 times)

Offline flyer

another good engine rebuilder
« on: August 21, 2003, 07:58:55 AM »
Ok, so I'm bringing my '78 L82 home with me from the US in a couple of months and am planning the steering conversion.  I also want to do some work on the engine.  It runs fine at cruise, and accelerates well, but its very lumpy at idle.  The previous (only) owner tells me he's made no changes to the engine b ut I can't figure out why it idles badly.

I was thinking that with the engine out for the steering work, I'd look into a rebuild and maybe some performance mods (better torque and fuel economy - if thats possible).  

What are the most desirable changes to make to the chevvy engine to achieve these things?

Any recommendations for a good workshop in Sydney to do the work?

Thanks
Allan

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 08:25:44 AM »
"What are the most desirable changes to make to the chevvy engine to achieve these things?"

How long is a piece of string?  It all depends on what you want.  I can tell you that an L48 with headers, a dual 2 1/2 in exhaust, comp cams XE256, stock heads with 2.02/1.6 valves, valve angle work and port matched Performer intake, recurved dizzy and rejetted QJet will make 225+ RWHP.  I wouldn't go too much bigger than 220 deg duration with an auto or you'll bleed too off too much vacuum.  For a manual trans it depends on how much you like to dump the clutch.  :22

If you are rebuilding it bump the compression up to 9:1 and with cam, better heads, intake and exhaust you'll get near 300 RWHP easy!  

Offline Adam

• Four Barrel
    • http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~turon/photo/index.htm
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 04:05:30 PM »
I think somone said Sam's performance in padstow was good? Theres also SR Performance in Arncliff.

In the meantime u can cheak your mixture for your lumpy problem.
The same thing was happening with mine, and actually the carburettor needed rebulding. U can try adding some injector cleaner, that stuff can work wonders if the problem isnt too bad.

If your really that concerned about economy then build your engine to run on LPG, there r performance LPG systems avaiable, see the "all gassed up" article on this forum. It's a good way to achive economy without having to sacrifice performance. Mine is very much a daily driver tho.

Adam
1980 LG4 stock 305 running LPG.

I'm a highway staaaaaarrrr...

Offline aussie 74

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 11:13:33 PM »
I made up seven sets to convert L/hand to R/hand for a guy at bangor sydney.
He is converting a 78 ffrom Japan.
my email is bowdent@bigpond.net.au if you want his phone or the gear to convert youself
Trevor

Offline david_moore

• Four Barrel
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2003, 10:08:27 PM »
Gyday Allan,
I recommend the guys at Engine Reconditioning Services, they are at Auburn. Tony or Joe is who you want to talk to, I hate to say it they are more into Mustangs but are great with GM as well. They have helped me with 2 engines, the first was and still is in my commodore and the second ofcourse is the one in my Corvette. I had them do all the machining and I assembled them myself, got a couple of books and I am by no means any better than anyone else! It was quite easy, don't be scared by that Ghost in the Machine!!:22

Offline david_moore

• Four Barrel
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2003, 10:12:34 PM »
Forgot to mention - I have a jig that will help in positioning of mounting holes for steering box in chassis rail, that is ofcourse if you choose to use the Toyoda steering box.:D

Offline flyer

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2003, 11:54:23 PM »
You guys are all great!!  My car is still in transit - should arrive at the end of October.  David, I'd really welcome a chance to come by and see your conversion and chat with you sometime.  Whats the best way to arrange it?  Where abouts are you located?  I actually tried to track you down at the Fox get together, but with the sea of vette's there it was too hard.

Allan

Offline aussie 74

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2003, 03:06:42 AM »
Another good engine builder is Tony,s Mechanical Repairs289 Hume Hyw Greenacre          97902457.
Check out his ute won mr HP at Summer Nats 800 hp 454ci methonol, street rego featured  in street machine, owns the party bus at last summer nats, also does exhausts. I can highly recommed them, drop in and check out the ute
;26

Offline david_moore

• Four Barrel
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2003, 08:52:18 PM »
Yeah it was a top day at Fox, I love these Corvettes and there was a lot of 'em to check out, then there was the shops... They are good to. Top venue Fox, bring on next year...US Nats should be good.