Author Topic: DOT vs ADR approved parts  (Read 7029 times)

Offline Vetteboy

DOT vs ADR approved parts
« on: August 08, 2003, 09:33:19 PM »
Hi everyone,

I need new brake lines for my C4.  I was looking at getting a DOT approved set from the US, however I am unsure of how this is viewed by insurance companies and Queensland Main Roads? Can anyone shed some light on this topic....

Thanks in advance.

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 08:43:47 AM »
Are you after stock replacements or braided?  Stock is fine but the braided is not approved over here, although I can't see what the problem is.

You can always take the lines you have to a brake place and they can fit up new lines using the old end fittings.  This works out a lot cheaper than getting them from the states.

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2003, 10:48:07 AM »
I think you can have braided lines fitted legally over here but they have to have teflon used in the end fittings to be legal.  The old (non-teflon) design is prone to snapping at the ends which is why they are illegal.

Depending on where you buy from, you can get braided lines locally and they won't cost much (if anything) more than bringing them in from the states.

I pretty sure my Goodridge braided lines are legal, the shop I bought  them from said they were and my insurance company didn't baulk when I told them about them being on my car.
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline Brutus

• Fuel Injected
    • http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/brutus
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2003, 04:15:38 PM »
The main reason they are or were frowned upon over here is that there was no way to inspect the lines externally for deteration with the braided covering.
As for rubber (original) lines being cheaper over here that the US, you can forget that theory. I bought a set (rear) of genuine GM hoses for around US$20.00 but when I had a set for the front made up here I was up for over A$100.00! Braided hose sets front and rear are approx $60 US and I will be getting a set when I go over next year. Who wants a set?
BOB

THE C3 SHARK TANK - The best, first, and oldest site for owners of 1968 to 1982 Corvettes

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2003, 04:46:56 PM »
Brutus - add that to the cost of an airfare and getting them done here is cheaper!  If you can ship them past customs in the post then you may be in front but who wants to wait a couple of weeks for them to get here?

Offline Brutus

• Fuel Injected
    • http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/brutus
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2003, 05:10:25 PM »
Originally posted by 77CVT

Brutus - add that to the cost of an airfare and getting them done here is cheaper!

Geez ya got me there with that logic..
Originally posted by 77CVT
 If you can ship them past customs in the post then you may be in front but who wants to wait a couple of weeks for them to get here?

Obviously someone with enough forethought to plan ahead and who also wants to save quite a few $$$
BOB

THE C3 SHARK TANK - The best, first, and oldest site for owners of 1968 to 1982 Corvettes

Offline Vetteboy

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2003, 08:33:36 PM »
Thanks everyone for your opinions.... I have since heard that under the ADR7 rules, DOT approved brake lines are equivilent to ADR approved.  The Goodridge do have teflon in the connectors.

Thanks again:drink