Author Topic: My '79 Vette  (Read 9974 times)

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
My '79 Vette
« on: November 12, 2008, 03:43:31 PM »

Received this email today

G'Day

I have a '79 Vette, in transit from the States, due to arrive at the end of the month.
I have a couple of questions regarding the Engineers Inspection, and was wondering perhaps you could ask some of your members and maybe get them to email me, thanks.

It already has retractable over the shoulder belts fitted, so I'm assuming they would just have to be replaced by some that will pass ADR's? I was wondering what make/model vehicle seatbelts will fit it, and will they just bolt straight in?

Also with the taillights I was thinking that perhaps I could fit another set of reverse/taillights (red on the outside and white in the centre) on the outside (replacing the all red indicator/tail/brake light) and wire the indicators into the white centre of the light (the "old" reverse light part). Do you think that is possible?
I'd really appreciate ANY answers, or suggestions about these matters.
Thanks again.

Cheers
Beno

CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
My '79 Vette
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 04:31:49 PM »
Need to fit ADR belts - I think there was another thread on that.  You could prob get some from the wreckers cheap.  They have to have the white ADR tag on them (usually where it bolts to the floor on the outside of the seat.

There is another thread on making up some tail lights too.  You'll probably have to redo the wiring at the back of the car to make it work properly.  My 71 has an orange bulb in the white centre part for the indicators.

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
My '79 Vette
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 05:51:31 PM »
headlights will have to be adjusted for right hand lane driveing,door mirrors either side;42

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
My '79 Vette
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 06:22:14 PM »
;40   You may not be able to register it without a right hand conversion, if its an early 79, that is built in 1978 it is over 30 years old and does not need to be converted to right hand drive. But if it's a late 79 it will not be 30 years old and you may have to store it for a few months, or do a conversion.
The registration inspection require is only a blue slip if it has not been modified in any way.
I think this information is correct.  :20

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
My '79 Vette
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 07:00:38 PM »
Hi Nick (isn't it?) I believe the info about the age of the car to be correct - must be over 30 years to obtain rego with LHD. As for the other stuff, prabably the best answer is "it depends". We've been discussing this a bit on Mattrix's post about borrowing an exhaust system. I think your best bet is to go see the Engineer and Blue Slip guys of your choice and ask what their criteria is.
Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
My '79 Vette
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 07:30:55 PM »
Thanks for your input guys,

Beno, the guy who is importing the car knows about the 30 year age limit and is planning to spend the next 12 months getting the car in order before he registers it.

I sent an email to him with a link to the Forum. I’m sure he will register soon.

Thanks again

;42
CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline Beno

My '79 Vette
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 12:11:21 AM »
Hi Everyone
There's a post from me here, put in by Nick.
I'll be registering it in Qld, but I'm sure the things I want to know about are relevant in ALL states, and I'd certainly appreciate any solutions, or advice, in regards to these matters.
I contacted Hemco and they can sell me some seatbelts that will fit, BUT I was hoping to find some from another make/model car that will bolt straight in (with NO mods needed).  
My indicators/tail/brake light lenses are ALL red, hence my idea about using another reverse light asembly (because of it's white centre). Any ideas there??
Thanks heaps.
Cheers.
Beno
P.S. I'll post some photos when it arrives.

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
My '79 Vette
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 10:51:33 AM »
The headlights will have to be replaced, not adjusted.  Ours shine lower to the right, US ones shine higher to the right.  High and low beams.  They are pretty cheap.

You'll need a rear view mirror on each side too

I believe you are supposed to fit new seatbelts, not 2nd hand ones.  Some law about it, but it's hard to enforce for obvious reasons.

I still need to get my seatbelts and indicators and mirrors sorted, so let me know what you come up with.

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
My '79 Vette
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 11:00:44 AM »
2nd hand seatbelts are a BIG no-no.... and surprisingly the laws are different from state to state..... im also in another forum, where a bloke is importing his own car from the usa to qld....will find a link and pm it to you with what hes done so far....

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
My '79 Vette
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 11:15:57 AM »
on 2nd thoughts i will post it here if the mods dont mind.?... it may have relevance to other people wanting to import and register a car.....

http://www.australiancorvettes.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3234

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
My '79 Vette
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 11:21:58 AM »

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
My '79 Vette
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 09:33:02 AM »
Taken from the linked post:

not sure about qld laws but to get lhd rego it must
"appear" stock....interior must be fact original,engine( no chrome unless standard...manifolds etc etc...) if you have say an edelbrock man on it...the logo must be taken off ( or as a mate did...silasticed over and painted...so logo wasnt visable...
in s.a. even if it has a small tear in a seat it wont pass rego....
so basicly it must be stock and factory....

^^ This scares me a little as my car isn't exactly 'standard'
Hopefully qld is a little more lax.

Offline Smithy007

• Two Barrel
My '79 Vette
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 10:07:43 AM »
Originally posted by Scott
Taken from the linked post:

not sure about qld laws but to get lhd rego it must
"appear" stock....interior must be fact original,engine( no chrome unless standard...manifolds etc etc...) if you have say an edelbrock man on it...the logo must be taken off ( or as a mate did...silasticed over and painted...so logo wasnt visable...
in s.a. even if it has a small tear in a seat it wont pass rego....
so basicly it must be stock and factory....

^^ This scares me a little as my car isn't exactly 'standard'
Hopefully qld is a little more lax.

Sorry to tell you, but QLD transport are notoriously tough.  I cannot confirm, but heard that they are even looking at knocking non-factory bonnet scoops!!

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
My '79 Vette
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 10:13:18 AM »
You can get anything passed in Qld if you know where to go!  Never heard of a car knocked back because of a different manifold or chrome bits - sucks to be in SA sometimes I guess!

Neat and tidy, roadworthy with no major mods will pass every time.

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
My '79 Vette
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 04:26:32 PM »
dont know about other states, but here in s.a. the ammount of left hook cars with bling bling wheels, is staggering.... if on heritage rego,(as most are) they swap the wheels etc back to original to pass rego insp, opening a huge can of worms if they ever have a prang....
good mate with a 69 tri power 427 has an edelbrock man on it.the tri power is long gone.
he MUST grind off the edelbrock logo so it "appears" to be a stock item.

Offline WARFARIN

• Four Barrel
My '79 Vette
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 09:38:31 PM »
Beno,
It's a mine field out there and everyone has had a different experience along the way.
You only have to meet the ADR's [Australian Design Rules] of the time [other than the LHD conversion rules].
Engineer's report for conversion or substantial modification.
Aussie cars of the '70s were so far behind the US in terms of emissions and crash standards that a Vette exceeds the requirements.
It's only going to be the colour of indicating lenses, head lights and seat belts as advised.
I am in the process of restoring '78 vette with rhd conversion and was thinking using amber globes in reverse light as both turn indicator and reverse light. I am almost sure this was on Holdens/Fords here at that time? WB utes/vans only had two colour tail lights.