Author Topic: '78 stock backup lights?  (Read 5821 times)

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
'78 stock backup lights?
« on: November 10, 2008, 03:04:57 PM »
Hi all,
It has come to my attention that indeed I wasn't going insane, what is actually the case is that I have aftermarket rear tail light covers. I have the red bubble type, and i have been trying to work out how to pass rego. Obviously I can't, since indicators aren't meant to be red. So, does anyone here have any stock ones (i only need the two inner ones, not the outside ones) I could either borrow or buy, or know of a way around this conundrum? They are $40 each new from the states (plus shipping)... will i have to bite the bullet?
I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Matt

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
'78 stock backup lights?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 03:42:47 PM »
buddy with a 77 made his own tail lights..... he bought and cut down truck light lenses.... said it was an easy job to do....a jigsaw, and a battery drill was all he needed....and the rego people loved them because they are approved for rego, and nice and large... dont know about n.s.w. but the amber leneses HAVE to be on the outside of the brake lights here in s.a.

this is his 77 parked next to my old 74...

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
'78 stock backup lights?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 04:42:22 PM »
I'm not sure if they have to be on the outside, from memory I don't think they do. Interesting idea, did he start with big round lights and just shave off around the outside till they were the right diameter...? Could definitely save me some bucks, would love to know more about the project.

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
'78 stock backup lights?
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 04:45:24 PM »
Actually look at the home page for nswcorvettes, you can see there that it doesn't have to be the outside ones. :)

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
'78 stock backup lights?
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 12:26:07 AM »
Originally posted by Mattrix
I'm not sure if they have to be on the outside, from memory I don't think they do. Interesting idea, did he start with big round lights and just shave off around the outside till they were the right diameter...? Could definitely save me some bucks, would love to know more about the project.
thats exactly what he did.... the lights are called....wait for it..." TRUCK LIGHTS" very original name.... he got them from a truck supply shop pretty cheap/ too out the original vette lights and used them as a template to mark around, cut slightly oversize and ground back on a emery wheel.... carfully drilled the hols and they bolt stright in.... interestingly i was following him tonight, and they are real bright.....
 i would be the first to agree the ambers on the inside make the car look fatter, but its not allowed in south oz....:an

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
'78 stock backup lights?
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 12:26:21 PM »
Hmm, any ideas where I can find said "truck lights"? That definitely sounds like the way to go. I'm not hugely great with things like that but I'm sure I can either find someone that is or I can be patient enough to do it properly. Thanks again for your help :)

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
'78 stock backup lights?
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 10:19:47 PM »
no prob..... any good auto shop should stock them.... repco,etc etc.....john the 77 owner got his from a dedicated truck repair shop though, but via a phone call he tells me most places "should"have them....

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
'78 stock backup lights?
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 11:32:40 AM »
Yeah OK. I'm off for a few days up north but when I get back I'll make some phone calls. Thanks again for the tip, fingers crossed it pays off :)

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
'78 stock backup lights?
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
Just ordered some Narva 86245's (round amber lens) from Auto Pro. The red lenses are 126mm (or 124, but i'm pretty sure we worked out they are 126) in diameter and between 40 and 50mm high, the narva ones are 130mm in diameter and 40mm high, and already have the 3 screw holes, so it will be very interesting indeed to see how they fit up. Will keep you all informed once I get them in and try them out.

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
'78 stock backup lights?
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 06:12:30 PM »
OK so it turns out the damn things are about 20mm too small in diameter. What a joke, who knows how it could be so far out... anyway, going to take them back and try to order some bigger ones in, let's hope I have more luck next time around.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
'78 stock backup lights?
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 08:32:46 AM »
Mattrix you have u2u

Offline humphbri

• Two Barrel
'78 stock backup lights?
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 04:14:27 PM »

Hi all

FYI, according to Australian Design Rules (including in SA) the yellow indicators don't necessarily need to be on the outside. They just need to be a minimum of 600mm apart. So using the standard reversing lights will do the trick because they are far enough apart. Simply install the amber globes. Then swap wires around under the dash and bumper to have the reverse lights power the indictors. It sounds confusing but if you follow the wiring diagram you can see what needs to be done. For post 78 cars you will need to install a small white reversing light, pre 78, you can use the yellow indicators as reversing lights.  

Offline WARFARIN

• Four Barrel
'78 stock backup lights?
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 09:42:12 PM »
Mattrix,
I have six 1978 reversing light/reflectors.
Two second hand originals and four new "Trimparts" replicas from Zip or Ecklers.
One set of the new has been split open as I was thinking about making a stop/tail/blinker in one!
Don't ask me why?? Must have had a "beer" induced vision!!
You can borrow/purchase the old ones [borrow means you pay the postage bothways] or purchase either of the new or old.
Cheers
David

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
'78 stock backup lights?
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 11:27:49 PM »
Hi David,
How much did you want for each set? (to purchase) Second hand might be alright, if they aren't cracked or whatever (got photos?). Just let me know as I'm keen to get that sorted.

In terms of doing the wiring setup, that won't be an issue, it's just because I have 4 red tail lights that I need to get something that will be amber (or clear with an amber bulb), before I can then wire it up to use the reverse lights as indicators. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the reverse light though, I'll have to wire something up but i don't want to wreck the sweet design of the car. Anyone have ideas?

Thanks

Matt

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
'78 stock backup lights?
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »
Hi Matt,
For my '75, I bought a pair of reversing lights on ebay. I only used one of then, keeping the other for a spare. THey're H3, 55 watt, so they actually punch out a bit of light. It's mounted under the number plate, please see the picture below. From a metre or so away from the back of the car, it can't be seen, it's only when you step back a bit that it becomes visible. The ebay vendor is brightlightauto parts. Hope this helps.
Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline WARFARIN

• Four Barrel
'78 stock backup lights?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 08:24:11 PM »
Matt,
I'll take some photo's and determine a price.
Can you u2u me your normal e-mail as I have yet to get my act together with this photobucket stuff.
I don't have the time or interest in finding out just now!!:flower
I know it's easy Cam!!;53
Cheers
David

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
'78 stock backup lights?
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 08:56:08 PM »
u2u sent.

Thanks for the tip Bob, will look into that one.

Matt

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
'78 stock backup lights?
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 11:30:28 AM »
Well, haven't been in here for a while so decided to do a bit of an update. David (WARFARIN) sorted me out perfectly with a set of second hand light units, so the next task was working out how to fit them and wire them all up properly. Basically this is what I did:

Following a wiring PDF i found online, I wired the brake/indicator wire across to the middle lights (running amber bulbs).

Then I ran a separate wire from the brake pedal switch to the back, and hooked that up to the outside lights.

Then, I drilled a small-ish hole in the back of one of the middle light assemblies, and fit a 55w halogen in there (there wasn't much room for another bulb, so a halogen was it, due to it being so small). I rigged up a relay, ran a wire to the battery and ran the switch to the reverse wire. This became my new reverse light. I realised that I could have a heat issue if I left reverse on for too long, but luckily reverse is something you are only ever in for about a minute at most, so wasn't so worried about it getting a little warm in the plastic assembly. Doing it this way also meant I didn't need to hook up a separate external light, which I felt could possibly alter the nice aesthetics of the car, and would be more stuffing around drilling holes and running wiring around the place.

So there you have it. All nice and legal now. Thanks again to David for the lights! If anyone wants any pics of the setup, let me know.

Matt