Author Topic: Smog eliminator belt solution  (Read 3288 times)

Offline Shaun

• Two Barrel
Smog eliminator belt solution
« on: November 09, 2008, 08:05:27 PM »
 I recently had the bearings in the smog pump crap itself in my 85 vett. Rather than get a new smog pump or have the bearing replaced I decided to purchase the smog pump eliminator setup from Convettte Central and a new belt.

The eliminator set up is very easy to fit but when I went to fit the belt the problems became apparent.!!

The pully on the eliminator is much smaller than the orginal pump and to the belt would be too big if the set remained in the same position.  To make the belt fit the designers of the bracket  have positioned the alternator further out to the side. This is no problem on the orginal car but as my car has a mirror conversion the extended aircond hoses will not allow the alternator to be repositioned. So I drilled a hole in the bracket to allow the pullies and alternator to be in the original positons. The olny remaining problem is that the original belt is too long.

Down to the local auto parts store.   A Bosh belt no. 6PK2200  ( ford BA) is exactly the same as the corvette belt only 2 inches shorter. So it fits a treat.

I now have a brand new standard 85 vette belt for sale if any one is interested.

If you like pics of the smog pump eliminator set up and the extra hole to fit the shorter belt then just list your email in a response to this thread.
1985 Gold Corvette Coupe and 1953 Chev Belair.
Cant beat a chevy .......

Offline Camo

• Jethro is my nemesis
  • Administrator
  • Supercharged
  • Joe Pappas Missile Builder
  • Car: 77. 355 ci 400hp
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 08:41:58 PM »
If you e-mail us the pictures we will post them for you here on the forum  CLICK HERE TO EMAIL US  ;42
Time, The Predator That Stalks Us All

Black is not a colour, it's a life style

Offline 87Z51

• Four Barrel
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 11:43:33 PM »
Originally posted by Shaun

The pully on the eliminator is much smaller than the orginal pump and to the belt would be too big if the set remained in the same position..

Even though the pulley on my Breathless Perf elim was smaller I still had enough clearance to A/c lines to reuse original belt