Author Topic: Fibre Optic looms  (Read 5338 times)

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
Fibre Optic looms
« on: October 11, 2008, 05:01:59 PM »
Anyone have any idea about fibre optics?

I've never worked with the stuff, but I need to replace all the looms in my '70 vert. The back ones have been cut and the front ones have been chewed by previous tenants (Rats living in th dash)

Is this stuff available on a roll?

I'm guessing that it cannot be joined?

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
Fibre Optic looms
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 09:42:50 PM »
 I read somewhere that Its hard to find replacement fibre optics? I'm sure you could get something from the states but you would think somebody here would have the stuff? Isnt our data/phone lines now fibre optics???? Im not sure it can be joined and I dont think you can get it on a roll unless its a big diameter roll because Fibre optics are made of glass! (I think)
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
Fibre Optic looms
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 10:42:16 PM »
You can buy the pre prepared looms from the states but they are way too much.

Yes fibre optics is used in our telecommunications systems, that's why I'm thinking it has to be available somehow.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
Fibre Optic looms
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 10:53:01 PM »
$189 for this.

Can't tell how complete it is because Ecklers item description relates to wiring looms.

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=30389&dept_id=1141
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
Fibre Optic looms
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 08:01:22 AM »
Even though Ecklers is one of the most expensive, lets use them as an example as you provided the link:

Front loom with optics US$300.00
Rear loom with optics US$265.00
Lets guess postage to be US$100.00
At today's dollar (0.65) total cost AU$1018.00

Because it's over 1K AU you now have to add GST once Aussie customs snatch it.

The way I've been buying parts is to calculate the American cost, compare to the Australian cost and see what is most cost effective.

Looking at paying a grand for a couple of looms seems ridiculous to me, that's why I'm sure there has to be a way to make these suckers. Buy a small role and cut/tape the stuff into looms. I'm keen to learn more about it.

I have also heard that there might be a possibility you cannot buy fibre optic without a special license here in Australia. I was talking to a cabling guy at work and he said when he went for his cabling course he can vaguely remember something to do with having to get special permits to work with fibre optic cabling, I asked why and he said "Cause it's F'ing dangerous!". I tried to get more info and he just didn't know as he doesn't work with it.

Surely there is a way!

EDIT: http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/fiberoptic.html
I'm learning - but still need more info...

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
Fibre Optic looms
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 02:01:38 PM »
That Watsons site looks great!
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline WARFARIN

• Four Barrel
Fibre Optic looms
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 09:47:26 PM »
This is low tech stuff more aligned to the colour changing lamps than data/telephone. All it does is grab some light at the "lamp" [or whatever] and bring it back to a coloured bezal in the dash/console.
Any re-joining or splicing of fibre-optics is at the high end in cost. So if your stuff has been cut short? Your gone! Replacement is the only option. I don't know the exact detail of the Corvette system [my '78 does not have it] but I'm sure it's basic. There must be some Chinese company making it in kilometres!!

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
Fibre Optic looms
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 10:25:47 PM »
I cut some out and gave it to a cabling guy who's getting it checked out for me.

He said it's possibly plastic and not proper optic fibre. I'll know when he gets back to me.  

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
Fibre Optic looms
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 11:15:23 PM »
was just talking to good mate bazz(77 and a 69 tri power vette)in west oz....
he repaired his own on his 69,using a small piece of fine standard normal cable that he pulled the inner copper out of,cut VERY  square and manged to join his(2 inchs join...) but because it is now shorter he had to beef it up, with a roll of electrical tape to take any extra stretching it may encounter,,,, BUT....he has the name of a bloke in new york, who sells by the metre,,,,, his computer in for repair and should be back next week some time and the bloke name is on that computer....
bazz feels fairly confident you can buy the cable threw this bloke for around the 60-70 usd mark.....will keep onto him about the guys name....
but in the meantime, bazz gave me a website of a 69 resto....he followed hsi instructions on how he repaired his fibre optics, go to webpage,left of page click on completed/newparts in the 69 build...the pics on repair are in there....

http://www.corvetteprojects.com/

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
Fibre Optic looms
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 11:47:31 PM »

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
Fibre Optic looms
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 07:15:50 AM »
Thanks for that nifty.

I'm starting to think that I may be better off trying to repair what is there rather than replace the whole lot.

I have approx 30 cm length missing from the rear loom and a similar length missing from the front. I guess I'll have to trial and error to find out which piece connects to which.

The way I was planning on that was to simply shine a torch into the lens and then have someone at the other end label which optic it is, then repeat this process for the dash lens and match them up. If anyone has a better idea I'm all ears.  

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
Fibre Optic looms
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 07:37:36 PM »
I pulled this off a US Forum on the same subject. It's a little old (2005 from memory), but if local sources don't fix the problem, you might try these guys.
http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/fiberoptic.html
Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline WARFARIN

• Four Barrel
Fibre Optic looms
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 07:50:04 PM »
Alan,
Got any mates that are sparky's working for a big company? Most of them do comms and would have both the light source and viewer.
What you described is exactly how its done only with a little more engineering. The viewer is magnified so you can see the surface of the cut end. It's a long time since I was involved in this stuff. But I seem to remember the fibre was cut and the end polished before termination.
This Corvette fibre is probably a tube?? You could check that under a microscope? If you don't have one I do and would be happy to check it out for you. Particularly given Nifty's comment about pulling the copper out of a cable. Would only need 10mm of one core? There must be a solution in something very common!
Cheers
David

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
Fibre Optic looms
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 01:28:29 AM »
that corvette projects link i posted shows how the bloke fixed his optics, mate bazz emailed him and got a bit more info....he didnt have anything to lose by having a go, and it worked out ok...give it a go... at worst its had it.....