Author Topic: Vacuum molded interior/dash - anybody had this done?  (Read 5439 times)

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
Vacuum molded interior/dash - anybody had this done?
« on: October 07, 2008, 03:30:34 PM »
I'm considering having all my original dash and other interior pieces vacuum molded (vinyl re-covered) rather than buying a whole new interior.

This was the car is closer to original and still has all original parts rather than buying after market replacements which still cost a fortune.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this done and if so were you happy with the results.

I'm considering this place:

http://www.dashboarddoctor.com.au/index.html

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 05:23:24 PM »
A recovered interior part will always at best look like an old interior part recovered.
Especially if the part has damage, as it usually shows faults through into the new vinyl
As for me I will only do/fit/work with new trim (except right hand drive dash boards)
There are places that do OEM interior parts or interior parts better than OEM

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 06:07:18 PM »
I can understand if the parts are damaged it'd turn out so so - mine are not. They are all in great condition but they're dyed black rather than being true black which I've decided is not good enough!.

I just want them to look new and doing it this way is about $1000 cheaper than buying new after adding postage and converting the dollar.

Offline VET-005

• Four Barrel
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 06:25:35 PM »
If there is no cracks in your interior why don't you just have it repainted with the Vinal black paint like all the dash people use anyway. This stuff is a great product when applied correctly. I have used it many times with great long lasting results.

The guys like the dash doctor use this product everyday when matching interior trims as you cannot get vinal or leather in every shade and colour.

If you know how to use a spay gun yourself will cost you $100 or less to do the whole interior, or you can have someone else paint them for you for a small fee if you remove all the parts for them.
Click Images For My Gallery

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 06:33:14 PM »
The interior in it is already dyed and I'm not happy with it.

I've painted a Holden dash in the past. When it was new it looked great. After a few scuff marks here and there it's not so great.

I'm going to either go with all new components or get the old ones vacuum sealed with new vinyl. I have ages to decide, I'm just throwing it out here so I can get an idea what others have done.

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 07:26:41 PM »
i have had my interior dyed as well,i thought it came out pretty good

Offline WARFARIN

• Four Barrel
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 10:05:20 PM »
Chromie is spot on [again!]
The shrink on cover looks fine; but it adds a thickness of dash material. Your speaker grilles and demister vent at the top will not fit the same. Similarly you will have problems with side vents and the centre instrument cluster.
Good luck!
David

Offline TPI-383

• Two Barrel
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 10:53:02 PM »
A mate of mine had a XT Falcon dash done by a place in Sydney, not sure of the name.When it came back it was like brand new. They stripped the old skin and repaired the foam underneath before reskining (vac moulded) the dash so it was not thicker and everything fit great. I will try and chase up a name and no. if you like. I would not hesitate to use them for my car.
Tim  

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 06:24:01 AM »
TPI-383: thanks for the info but if I decide to go this route I'd be going with someone in Melbourne/Geelong/Ballarat area. I'd rather not have to send everything up to Sydney..

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 12:30:51 PM »
This place is good but may be too expensive - Modicoat