Author Topic: thanks again  (Read 6503 times)

Offline onya

• Four Barrel
thanks again
« on: July 29, 2003, 08:59:55 PM »
As I don't know much about Corvettes, can you help me with what to check before buying the 86 to 89. I do know about the conversions but not the tech stuff.
;32;27;27
Found them, I reckon some RAT hid them.

Offline rebel

• Four Barrel
thanks again
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 10:05:24 PM »
VO or JH, this may be one for your expertise .....

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
thanks again
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2003, 05:34:17 PM »
Hopefully this will be of help...

In my opinion with C4’s buy as late a car as your budget or personal preference allows.  While there is nothing inherently wrong with any car from 84 and up, with each year more features were introduced, existing parts and features were developed further, power went up, etc, etc.

- Dash display – make sure all of the LCD panels on the dash work, illuminate properly and are not broken.  LCD panels can’t be bought individually and you are looking at AUD $650 and up for a repaired or remanufactured unit.

- Get an insurance quote before buying – they aren’t cheap to insure.

- If looking at a 4+3 manual make sure the overdrive unit works and everything operates reasonably smoothly.  4+3 overdrive parts are not always readily available.  Parts for the gearbox itself shouldn't be a problem though.

- Make sure the service engine soon light illuminates when the accessories are on but that it goes out after the car is started.

- Make sure the steering is smooth and that you can move the wheel from lock to lock without the tyres fouling – you’d be surprised with some conversions…

- Do a tight low speed u-turn to listen for any knocking in the diff.

- Check the wheel bearings, they can last for over 100,000 miles but when they need changing they will cost at least AUD $500 each for the fronts and probably AUD $300+ each for the rears.

- Make sure the AC, cruise control and other features work properly – especially the AC.

- If you are looking at one with interstate rego, make sure you get a blue slip (AUVIS) inspection beforehand to make sure you won’t have any problems transferring the rego to another state.

- That’s all I can think of right now.  Off the top of my head the most commonly referred to 86-89 maintenance items include alternators, LCD dash’s, and 4+3 overdrive units.  That is not to say you will have problems with the above if you buy a car so equipped.  As an example my car needed new alternator parts over three years ago and has been fine since (touch wood) and none of the receipts I have from the previous owners show any alternator problems...
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
thanks again
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2003, 05:40:33 PM »
All of the above –  ( I didn’t know about the tight circle to check diff, good one)

Just for your info - the Service Engine Soon light tells you that an error code has been logged, things like code 34 can mean you need a new MAF which costs $800+

I would check for stored codes – if the fault is intermittent the SYS light goes out but the code stays logged unless the battery is disconnected. Would be interesting to see if anything is there.

Low Mileage should ensure major machinery will last for a while but age will still be taking it’s toll on electronics – and everything is electronic.

Hi mileage means the valve seals are worn, alternator, AC Compressor, starter motor, exhaust, wheel bearings, Universal Joints etc may need attention.  

Everything can be fixed providing you can throw money at it !

Good luck

S’nut

Offline onya

• Four Barrel
thanks again
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2003, 07:50:40 PM »
Once again I would like to thank the members for replying. Now I have something to work on and hope I can come home trumps. It shoud not be to long now. But I can wait. Will be nice to meet all you guys one day.:D:););):):)
Found them, I reckon some RAT hid them.