Author Topic: Early Conversions  (Read 6888 times)

Offline AAJC

• Two Barrel
Early Conversions
« on: April 01, 2008, 09:12:48 PM »
Hi everyone,
I have just recently joined this forum & have really enjoyed the posts.
I am curious to know if there were many places doing conversions back in the early 70s?
I have a 71 BB Convertible that my father purchased in 78 somewhere along Parramatta Rd. Apparently it was owned by a cop before the dealer got hold of it.
Its a long shot, but I would like to know if anyone actually keeps records of conversions they do???? It would be nice to know the history of the car.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
;42

Andy

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
Early Conversions
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 12:04:49 AM »
Welcome squire.  Always happy to have a new bod on our forum.

It could have been converted anywhere in the country.  I purchased my beast here in NSW but it was converted in South Australia.

Do you not have the original engineers report on the conversion?  My understanding is that it is always to remain with the car when sold.  (I'll stand corrected on this point)

Maybe the RTA could assist.  I'm sure they would have records of when it was done and the engineers report.  But I'm sure that someone with more experience will chime in and help ya out with this.

Do you have any pictures of the beast?  If ya do please feel free to e-mail them to me and I will post them on the forum for you if you would like.  CLICK ME to e-mail me.

Cam ;42
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
Early Conversions
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 12:15:03 AM »
Originally posted by AAJC
I have a 71 BB Convertible that my father purchased in 78 somewhere along Parramatta Rd.

Hi Andy,

At a hunch, the dealer might well have been Rick Damelian Prestige Cars which was a new and small operation back around then. I vaguely recall seeing the occasional used Vette on their lot.

At that time, with the effects of the OPEC oil crisis well established,  it was pretty hard to sell a big engined car; it was definitely a buyer's market.  I recall seeing used V12 e-type Jags for around $8,000, so I guess your Dad would have gotten the Vette for a very good price.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline VET-005

• Four Barrel
Early Conversions
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 03:27:12 PM »
Originally posted by Cameron 77C3
Welcome squire.  Always happy to have a new bod on our forum.

It could have been converted anywhere in the country.  I purchased my beast here in NSW but it was converted in South Australia.

Do you not have the original engineers report on the conversion?  My understanding is that it is always to remain with the car when sold.  (I'll stand corrected on this point)

Maybe the RTA could assist.  I'm sure they would have records of when it was done and the engineers report.  But I'm sure that someone with more experience will chime in and help ya out with this.

Do you have any pictures of the beast?  If ya do please feel free to e-mail them to me and I will post them on the forum for you if you would like.  CLICK ME to e-mail me.

Cam ;42

If you dont have a copy of the original engineers report and there is no plaque on the car anywhere indicating who did it i think you have bucklys chance of finding out from RTA as a lot of those early records were lost during the introduction of computers and archiving of files. I know of someone who had to go and get a new engineers report to get his car registered as there was no trace of the old engineers report. My Advice keep it registered or you may have to do the same thing and fork out $400 or $500 to get a new engineers report.

Now Days when a car is engineered the RTA scans and keeps an electronic copy and the engineers report number is put on the bottom of your rego lable and put on the cars rego papers.
Click Images For My Gallery

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
Early Conversions
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 07:19:47 PM »
Here ya go AAJC

Click Pics For Larger View In A New Window

To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au