Author Topic: Question about a C3. More powerfull than a LT1?  (Read 13695 times)

Offline corvetter

Question about a C3. More powerfull than a LT1?
« on: March 28, 2008, 12:24:22 PM »
Hi everyone, I am a brand new member from Adeliade, always been a corvette fan. I am looking at a corvette at the moment, which is claimed to be better performancewise than a LT1. Its a 1972 C3 350 auto. The mods/specs as far as I know include 350 Chev Turbo 400 Auto trans, Engine with new 350hp Rollmaster Timing set, Lifters, Roller rockers, ploished high rise manifold, 10'' wheels. Been told that apparently its quite modified, above are the mechanical mods that I have been told of.Do you guys reckon the performance claim seems right? Sorry to sound so naive, I am actually coming down from a line of japanese performance cars and is obviously not very educated about corvettes- but I love them.

Also as a rough guide, what sort of cost could be involved in putting in a big block? Is turboing the 350 a viable option at all?

Any info would be greatly appreciated guys. Cheers. ;-)

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 12:44:33 PM »
Stock 350's were pretty average but you can easily modify them to get kick arse performance.  As for a comparison to an LT1 I can't help as I haven't driven one.  The fuel economy would be better but why buy a Corvette for that! ;-)

If you are used to throwng around late model ricer cars then you shouldn't be looking at a C3 for comparible handling - having said that they are still a sh!tload of fun!  ;46  You will always look better in vette anyway!

It's not hard to get a 350 C3 to run 13's.  If you want a turbo on one you'd better be a good driver!  :mmm

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 02:06:40 PM »
hi corvetter,the lt1s of the day were only produced in 3 model years 70/71/72 and are quite rare,the last of the small block screamers,they were noted for this as they were the last of the solid camshafts from the factory,the 70s are rated at 370 hp,the 71s 330 hp and 72 at 290 hp,standard specs are 4 bolt mians steel crank pink x lt1 conrods,trw pistons,70s had 11 to 1,fuiley heads,alloy high rise manifold holley double pumper rated at 780 cfm,transistorised ignition,all lt1s came with the muncie 4 speed,in a way it would be like compareing a guy that has a gtr torana and he has stuck a set of triples on the motor and some engine work and saying it has more power than a xu1,at the end of the day if the car is what you want and the price is right than go for it.as far as a big block gos they came with them fitted from the factory so putting one is not a problem,be warned though lots of money,if you want a big block my adv\ise is buy one that has allready got one,hope this helps.

Offline jdunne

• Four Barrel
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 04:42:31 PM »
Originally posted by corvetter
Hi everyone, I am a brand new member from Adeliade, always been a corvette fan. I am looking at a corvette at the moment, which is claimed to be better performancewise than a LT1. Its a 1972 C3 350 auto. The mods/specs as far as I know include 350 Chev Turbo 400 Auto trans, Engine with new 350hp Rollmaster Timing set, Lifters, Roller rockers, ploished high rise manifold, 10'' wheels. Been told that apparently its quite modified, above are the mechanical mods that I have been told of.Do you guys reckon the performance claim seems right? Sorry to sound so naive, I am actually coming down from a line of japanese performance cars and is obviously not very educated about corvettes- but I love them.
Also as a rough guide, what sort of cost could be involved in putting in a big block? Is turboing the 350 a viable option at all?

Any info would be greatly appreciated guys. Cheers. ;-)
You don't need a big block or a turbo......just cubic dollars...you can modify a small block to do virtually anything ,if you are prepared to spend enough....they are simple to work on and 450 flywheel hp is no big deal....just remember they weigh more than a commodore and lots more than any ricer.....getting useable power to the ground and stopping when necessary is more of an issue the more power and the more weight you have to deal with......all of that said;any c3 is more fun than a mature  male is entitled to expect whilst keeping your trousers on!!!!!!!;29;29;29;28

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 09:02:05 AM »
you will love the c3.....maybe not the fuel bills but the car is great,just remember ITS AND OLD CAR......you get the smells of oil,fuel and exhaust fumes......as for brakes and stopping...mine that i just sold  had the BEST brakes of ANY car ive ever owned......even the bloke that bought it said he was amased.....he said they were BETTER than his vy ss crewman ute....

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 09:15:45 AM »
corvetter....you have a u2u...(top right of page...click on it)

Offline corvetter

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 09:06:31 PM »
Thanks so much for the replies guys. I am seriously contemplating to buy a corvette very soon. I have views to spend 30k-40k on it after the next couple of years to make it a very unique C3, mainly on the performance side of things. Guess really got to find the right corvette to start this project.

I was just wondering- were most of the other stuff (eg driveline)the same in the small and big blocks- other than the engine itself? If they were not, eg the big block having stronger other things, I am probably better of chasing a big block one. Plan is to make this corvette 'one hell of a corvette' that will be street legal all the way in the next 5-6 years. I guess doing something like that would mean that I would end up changing most things anyway. Still, things to consider preliminarily. Would love some feedback. Cheers guys.

Offline corvetter

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 09:07:25 PM »
Nifty, thanks mate, I will PM you shortly.

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 08:47:21 AM »
without a doubt a big block is a fun toy......mate has a matching number big block 74 vette 454 auto 4 sale.
in  whyalla.... car been in aust since jan 06.still left hand drive.go cond.....goes tuff.little use....pm if you intersted.....its black.

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 10:43:01 PM »
Dont forget Performance comes at a cost! Once you start getting bigger HP you will need tuffer components! Tuffer components cost heaps! Although 30-40k sound like alot I personally think you would be hard up buying a C3 and making it a monster for that amount of money? BUT it is a great starting point!
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 12:36:04 PM »
Originally posted by 69 DIRTY RAT
Dont forget Performance comes at a cost! Once you start getting bigger HP you will need tuffer components! Tuffer components cost heaps! Although 30-40k sound like alot I personally think you would be hard up buying a C3 and making it a monster for that amount of money? BUT it is a great starting point!
have to agree with that...... a stressed small block also means stressed other moving parts....the big block has the torque already....

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 12:12:27 AM »
Originally posted by nifty
have to agree with that...... a stressed small block also means stressed other moving parts....the big block has the torque already....

And the weight to go with it. ;53

Sorry the devil made me say it ;54
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 10:31:04 AM »
Originally posted by Cameron 77C3
Originally posted by nifty

And the weight to go with it. ;53

Sorry the devil made me say it ;54
oh im just waiting for dirty rat to find this thread again....what with his light weight big block and all...........dont blame me cam..but i think your ears gonna fall off mate.......hahahaha

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 09:34:46 PM »
What weight, my aluminum 540cubes weighs the same as your small block!!!!!!!!

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 12:54:43 AM »
thats what i was refering to.

Offline jdunne

• Four Barrel
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 09:15:14 AM »
I don't know(but i am prepared to bet a large amount of $)that those 540 cubes of aluminium horsepower cost significant cubic $....as i said earlier,it's all a question of how much you are prepared to spend to get what you want/need!;30;30;30

Offline Sting 69

• Four Barrel
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 01:12:32 PM »
I myself have just bought a 69 coupe in California. It is a L46
350/350hp 4speed. I would have liked a BB but my budget did not cater for one. I plan to fit a 396/427 but it will be built up slowly. I specifically bought a matching numbers car so that if I ever had to sell the car I could put the original motor back in. True big blocks do cost alot to build, so if you can find a BB car that may be better if that is your ultimate goal. There has been a 70 or 71 coupe in Victoria on Ebay with a 390hp/454 auto for $28,000 . It needs a full resto but at least its a start. Good Luck.:24

Offline silver1

• Four Barrel
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 06:24:23 PM »
mate don't forget you can stroke a 350 to 427 and bigger these days with a lot less weight;46

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 12:10:22 AM »
I'm pretty sure You cant bore/stroke a 350 block to 427! only a 400 small block you can and go up to 472!

Offline mick

• Tri Powered
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 07:57:57 AM »
I had my 350 taken out to 383 I dont think you can get to much more out of them than that.