Author Topic: moisture...  (Read 7080 times)

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
moisture...
« on: February 24, 2008, 06:26:13 PM »
I've heard that when receiving a freshly imported car moisture/mould etc etc is a common occurance.

Anyone have any tried and tested advice to stop/minimize this?

Cheers

Allan

Offline ozpont

• Four Barrel
moisture...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 10:01:10 PM »
.. yes it does.. often very seriously . .and can worsen your experiences with AQIS inspections big time.
  It also acts like an incubator for spiders.. Black widows in particular.. and they come often from stored vehicle archs and older parts in cardboard boxs etc.
  Consider putting.. or lining the floor area with newspaper to help absorb the moisture. Do the same on the   cars carpet area's.. Covering the cars with plastic is good and bad.. in the obvious ways.
   We had an estimated 500 Black Widows born and crawling in on NON-DIRECT 40 footer a few years back.. luckly circumstances meant we didn't get first exposure and eventual fumigation took them out.. .

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
moisture...
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 10:04:58 PM »
my importer mate had worse problems than that as well...... a perfect 74BB vette in black arrived....with blistered paint.....along with a few other cars that suffered the same problems......thankfully the 59 vette didnt suffer.....the only thing he could put it down to was moisture in the container. it may cross the equater several times on its journey if it takes a slow boat...and dont think for a minute that your container will stay on the boat...if food goods or other more important things need your spot then they get it....the 74 sat on dock for 3 weeks waiting for a ride to aust....
he now gets a very heavy coat of wax applied in the states...(read what ever colour car you get it will be white when you open box.) seems to work or so he says...
he no longer buys cars to sell but does still import cars into aust for customers.....he in states now and has 13 cars on dock waiting for trans.

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
moisture...
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 06:24:05 AM »
ok - thanks for the advice

Surely there has to be something that can be put in the car other than just newspaper that can absorb large amounts of moisture?

Offline WARFARIN

• Four Barrel
moisture...
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 10:06:08 PM »
Mica Gel or Silica Gel or something like that. You know the little packets of stuff in packages like a camera or a dvd player or similar but only about the size of a postage stamp.

I have seen these in very large size [500grams+] in very large electrical equipment shipped from overseas.

Don't know where you could get it, but it exists.

Also I have seen a product "Dampsorb" but a long time ago. This was a fabric package like a large bread roll.

Was at BBC-Hardwarehouse-Bunnings from memory.

I gather the black coupe is gone/going and this convertible is the replacement. Perhaps I should go back to elsewhere on the forum?

The words I wish to describe with are not allowed!!

SWEET!

David

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
moisture...
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 01:10:08 PM »
You can get those gel packet in large sizes.  I'm pretty sure there is a topic on this in the archives.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
moisture...
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 01:25:30 PM »
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline yolo

• Two Barrel
moisture...
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 01:33:11 PM »
The ro/ro ships dont seem to have as many problems as the containersdo

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
moisture...
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 03:56:26 PM »
I called the freight guy thats dealing with the shipping and he pretty much told me not to worry about it and that they get no moisture problems. He mentioned something about they haven't used ""???" for over 10 years ...

I have no idea what he was on about but I guess I'll have to take his word for it. He does it for a living!

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
moisture...
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 03:58:56 PM »
Originally posted by WARFARIN
I gather the black coupe is gone/going and this convertible is the replacement. Perhaps I should go back to elsewhere on the forum?

The words I wish to describe with are not allowed!!

SWEET!

David

Yeah - black coupe (sad to see it go) sold two weeks ago and was collected last week. The new owner is stoked with it from what I can gather.

Yes the new red one in my sig is the replacement. I can't wait to get it here but it will be a loooong wait. 350 w/ 4speed manual. Red on black with white soft top. Matching numbers motor and box but not original colors.

Theres been slight mention of it in the original black coupes for sale thread but nothing official yet (or does this make it official?) !!!

Offline WARFARIN

• Four Barrel
moisture...
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 10:49:46 PM »
Allan,
I would say from other threads that until you can put one hand on the door handle [connected to the rest of the car of course] and have your feet placed solidly on Aussie soil [not a bag full taken OS to fool the system] you can't call it as yours!!!

It's "sweet"; but still a dream!!!

We only hear of the long and drawn out importations on the forum; hopefully yours will not be another one [for the record I have touched wood!].

Good Luck.

David

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
moisture...
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 11:13:41 PM »
good luck with it mate...... for sure there are some horror stories.....even the best importers have had problems im sure......lets just hope its complete and not damaged or missing parts when it arrives....