Author Topic: What brand of shock absorber do you have ?  (Read 7357 times)

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
What brand of shock absorber do you have ?
« on: June 10, 2003, 02:22:52 PM »
After much research concerning the harsh ride in my 88, I'm close to replacing my shockies, everything points to them being too hard for Nth Qld roads - it's coming down to a choice between US Monroes around $200-230 a pair and Aussie Gabriels. I'm looking for the softer shock but want it to last a reasonable time.

Normally I'd avoid the cheaper alternative but then I might regret it, if the Monroe's are still too hard.

So what shocks are popular and how do they ride ?

TIO
Stingraynut

Offline Brutus

• Fuel Injected
    • http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/brutus
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2003, 02:44:32 PM »
I bought my shocks (KYB I think) the same time as my new glass rear spring. They are specially valved to react to the fibreglass spring to counteract it's inherent rebound qualities. Got them direct from VB&P for around $30.00US a pair.
BOB

THE C3 SHARK TANK - The best, first, and oldest site for owners of 1968 to 1982 Corvettes

Offline Scott81

• Four Barrel
    • http://www.c3sharktank.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2003, 02:58:05 PM »
Bilstiens on my 81 with a 7-leaf spring.  The ride is much less harsh than I thought it would be, actually not much difference from the old GM shocks/glass spring.  If Brutus and I can do a 14 hour drive and survive it must be OK. :22
When I start my car I want my neighbors to think the end of the world is coming.  - Homer Simpson

Offline Brutus

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 03:07:04 PM »
Originally posted by Scott81
  If Brutus and I can do a 14 hour drive and survive it must be OK. :22

Now I know why my back aches all the time! There's nothing like sitting in the RH side of a Vette and not having a steering wheel to hold on to. And then there's driving on the LH side......no bloody right arm rest!
BOB

THE C3 SHARK TANK - The best, first, and oldest site for owners of 1968 to 1982 Corvettes

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 11:51:44 PM »
$30 a pair !!!!!!!!

What year was that ?

I'm a big fan of the Stingray, they're the best IMO -  Geez, I shoulda bought a Stingray after all !!! - especially if you can get shocks for that price !!!!

Seriously though, thanks for the quick reply, Brutus. The KYB's have been recommended to me, where/who is VB & P ?

I know that the C4 suspension is fairly different to the C3, so any C4'ers out there ?

S'nut

Offline Brutus

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2003, 07:51:21 AM »
This should keep you busy for a while.
http://www.vettebrakes.com/
Btw, the GR-2 shocks are still $29.95 a pair.
Product ID: VBP218    Category: Shock Absorbers
GR-2 Shock 63-82 Vette Rear (FG Sprg)
Description: Give your Corvette a satin-smooth ride at an economical price.
Price:  $29.95

BOB

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2003, 09:13:47 AM »
Thanks for the link Brutus, I'm sorry I laughed ! I really thought you must have bought them 15 years ago !Those shocks are still there, I've emailed them to check shipping costs.

I like their advertising blurb - "Give your Corvette a satin-smooth ride at an economical price"

That's what I want !!

cheers

S'nut

Offline Brutus

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2003, 10:00:17 AM »
I mailed a pair of them back to myself when I was over there and they cost me $27.00US to ship them via US mail. Took a while tho but they got here ok.Btw, ask for Jeff and tell him I sent you......Then duck! Not  really.....he's a nice bloke. Not like someone else I could mention.:22
BOB

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2003, 11:37:27 PM »
I got a speedy reply back -  $35.95 each and shipping $ $53 - all US $

That's about Aus $108 a pair plus $121 shipping and a few weeks wait, so still in the ballpark.

The KYB's are adjustable which might be a good thing considering I'm not sure what level I need - I'll check out the specs.

S'nut

Offline jdunne

• Four Barrel
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2003, 04:54:08 PM »
I have the Koni 6 way adjustable sport shocks.....they are readily available here,but not cheap.....they are very suitable for high performance work....john;35

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2003, 11:49:37 PM »
Hi jdunne, thanks for the Koni recommendation. 6 adjustment levels is good.

I’m still ‘considering my options’ and examining my ‘window of investment’ – I’m prepared to pay for good shocks but there’s still some doubt about the cause and the cure. The previous owner had my car for 6 years and thought the suspension was fine, so I’m also trying to balance ‘what I want’ with ‘what’s possible’.

I just read a post on CorvetteForum.com that suggested that the KYB’s aren’t adjustable – they’re called ‘KYB Gas-Adjust’ so I shall check that out. If not then the cheapest option for me would be Gabriels or Monroes – spending more would depend on how certain I am that the Konis could go soft enough if necessary and whether in fact softer shocks will make the difference.

When I’m driving on smooth road there’s no problem. I expected a hard ride but not the lack of adhesion caused by the tyres skipping. Of course as well as poor roads from the harsh climate, we also have cane train rail tracks crossing the road. I don’t see why the Corvette should be exempt from handling these conditions. Our Nissan Silvia had hard suspension and would leave a wheel in the air while driving slowly over the kerb but it stuck to our roads like glue.

I’m not worried about the physical discomfort, all my fillings have fallen out now anyway, but I do like a car that goes where you point it and changes lanes when I want to not when it wants to. Plus - I don’t think the new CD player will manage to keep on track.

S’nut

Offline jdunne

• Four Barrel
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2003, 08:50:58 AM »
Snut,i have 255.50.17 tyres that obviously ride much harder than the standard sizes,even with the konis on the hardest setting the ride is fine,this is in a 74R.there is much less sidewall flex with 17" tyres than standard....just watch the "adjustable" konis,they are,but not in the car...you have to take them out to adjust.....john;28

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2003, 09:50:45 AM »
Thanks for letting me know the Konis have to come off to adjust.

I have  275x40x17 Falkens and the thinner sidewall is part of my concern about the harsh ride. BTW I’m not after performance - just reasonable, average, roadhandling like my 89 Fairlane !

I’m not sure how much we can compare the C3 to the C4. I would think you have more suspension travel ? If I bounce my 90kg on the hood my front wheel arch moves less than 20mm (3/4”) so that’s obviously a factor. I feel more movement than that on long slow bumps like sunken sections of the road.

S’nut

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2003, 09:52:34 AM »
I have Gabriels from Supercheap auto!  They are average but cheap (about $40 ea).  Koni's and Bilstein are around $250 per pair.  :an