Author Topic: 1985 Woes  (Read 3760 times)

Offline melshaw5

1985 Woes
« on: June 10, 2003, 12:34:40 PM »
Was wondering if you had any advice for me. A few weeks ago my 1985 had its "Check engine" light come on in normal driving conditions. We got car home and checked the error code on the computer and it was 1. MAF sensor & 2. Knock sensor. We only had the MAF replaced a short while ago and so we got looking at the knock sensor. Looked like it was shot so we replaced it. Started car and it will not idle at all....Changed and cleaned all spark plugs and leads (wires) checked that all 8 had spark and tried the car again. No go. Cleaned distributor and tried again...no go and no error codes?
What could be wrong with her....I cannot get it to idle at all. as soon as my foot leaves the accelerator she stops. I am worried about driving her as she feels like and sounds like a chaff cutter at the moment.... I have read the manual, but does not really help. Tried taking the MAF off and started it. Same problem. Can someone help?

PS. I love my 85 and hate not being able to take her out.....

Offline Tom Matic

1985 Woes
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2003, 01:24:14 PM »
I had a similar problem with my '86 some years ago.  Wouldn't idle, MAS code etc, always stalled at the lights and made me look an incompetent driver unable to keep the car going, or the other extreme being a dickhead always revving the car at the lights.

A number of supposed experts also agreed that the MAS would be the likely problem.  Another "expert" told me that the fuel injection system was stuffed and that I should replace it with a Motec system, (he was a Motec supplier - possible conflict of interest?)

After buying a brand new MAS at $600, that did not fix the problem either.

Guess what.  There is a solenoid (Fuel Vapor Canister Solenoid) which should be located just near the canister in the front left well of the engine bay.

I replaced the solenoid with a second hand $5 one from an '85 (coincidence) and the problem was largely solved.  Then I discovered that the rubber hose ends were a little frayed, trimmed of an inch or so and improved the seal, and things were better yet.  

Whilst you're at it, you might as well check that all your vacuum lines for leakage  They're cheap to replace anyway, just be careful to make sure that you get the exact right size - from my experience little things can make such a  big difference.

So now I still have a brand new, still-in-the-box MAS, a $600 conversation peice.

Offline johnny86convert

• Four Barrel
1985 Woes
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2003, 03:35:43 PM »
great  info  guys..will  keep  in  mind  for  when  my  baby  finally  gets  converted........by  the  way  one  of  the  best  engine  builders  on  the  planet  SAM  from  sams  performance  says  theres  Experts  then  theres  guys  who  can  do  the  job  hehehehehehehehe  ;);););)