Author Topic: is my oil 2hot?  (Read 4753 times)

Offline mrvett

• Four Barrel
is my oil 2hot?
« on: January 19, 2008, 08:28:26 PM »
hi all, might have a bit of a problem if any1 can help..latey my 87 oil temp has been gettin round the 102-104degrees celcus mark..is that ok?

i drove my car round melbourne this morn and it was fairly cool and drizzling a little, but i still got to 102' celcus..was definatly not driving hard!! is this temp ok? how hot can i go b4 doing any damage?

also do our c4's have factory oil coolers?

Offline Shane Finn

• Four Barrel
is my oil 2hot?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
That is about perfect according to most people with opinions.

It it just hot enough (>100c) to boil off any water condensates that would collect when the engine is cooling. My C5 cruises at around 105c on the highway.

How much hotter you would be happy to go is dependent on whether it is a natural or synthetic oil. The problem with higher temperature is more that the oil life shortens rather that it is ceases to be a good lubricant at that temperature. Synthetics can both sustain higher temperatures and last longer at temperature than do natural oils.

I often see 135c on the track but back off when any higher till the synthetic oil I use (Mobil One 15w50) cools down. But then I change it regularly (often twice a year) depending on how much track time I see.

I can't help with whether or not you have a cooler in a C4. Others will chime in I am sure.
2001 Z06, Torch Red

Offline 87Z51

• Four Barrel
is my oil 2hot?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 12:54:11 PM »
Originally posted by mrvett

Some do.
Option KC4 on the  label under console lid or part of the Z51 suspension package.

Check for a black housing between the oil filter and block with 2 water lines out of it.One hose goes to block and other to front of engine.

Offline mrvett

• Four Barrel
is my oil 2hot?
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 07:27:10 PM »
Originally posted by ZEDohSIX
That is about perfect according to most people with opinions.

It it just hot enough (>100c) to boil off any water condensates that would collect when the engine is cooling. My C5 cruises at around 105c on the highway.

How much hotter you would be happy to go is dependent on whether it is a natural or synthetic oil. The problem with higher temperature is more that the oil life shortens rather that it is ceases to be a good lubricant at that temperature. Synthetics can both sustain higher temperatures and last longer at temperature than do natural oils.

I often see 135c on the track but back off when any higher till the synthetic oil I use (Mobil One 15w50) cools down. But then I change it regularly (often twice a year) depending on how much track time I see.

I can't help with whether or not you have a cooler in a C4. Others will chime in I am sure.

thanks  ZEDohSIX il check wid my mechanic wat oil was used last an c how i go ;42

Offline mrvett

• Four Barrel
is my oil 2hot?
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by 87Z51
Originally posted by mrvett

Some do.
Option KC4 on the  label under console lid or part of the Z51 suspension package.

Check for a black housing between the oil filter and block with 2 water lines out of it.One hose goes to block and other to front of engine.

not sure if its has option, i should get my lazy ass an have a look, thanks 87Z51 ;42

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
is my oil 2hot?
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 01:21:24 PM »
100 deg is normal.  Normal oil breaks down around 135 C and synthetic at around 150.

Offline ozvette

• Four Barrel
is my oil 2hot?
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 08:43:53 AM »
Yeah, def no problem with that temp, but I do want to add one thing.

In my 87 I only hit those temps on hot days or in traffic.

On the open road, my oil is down near 90, if you are concerned, you may want to put on the Z51 style airdam to get more air in there, and also get you mechanic to check and clean around the radiator, because we get a lot of crap (leaves mostly) caught coming up from underneath.

Offline Shane Finn

• Four Barrel
is my oil 2hot?
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 07:31:55 PM »
More than you ever wanted to know about oil x100..

http://themotoroilsite.com/forums/

I'd recommend downloading the "Motor Oil Bible" and having a good read. I bought this years ago when it was a paid download (now free) and have never regretted it. There is one chapter where the author preaches his religion - if it offends you ignore it and read the rest. It's worth it.
2001 Z06, Torch Red