Author Topic: seatbelts  (Read 7069 times)

Offline humphbri

• Two Barrel
seatbelts
« on: January 10, 2008, 03:27:45 PM »
Hi

Does anyone know how the ACT rego people will treat my 75 convertible when I take it  to them? 45 I have called them a few times and, just like in NSW, I get different answers each time.  I want to do the absolute minimum to the car.

I know I need to change headlights, I also know that according to "rules 2002," (whatever they are) I will need my rear indicators to flash amber (pre 73 don't need to apparently).

I think I may have to add a RH exterior mirror (althought I see many registered vettes without them) and I have to add a shoulder belt to my lap belt.  Is there anything else?

Also, does anyone know an Australian seat belt that I can use instead of buying US shoulder belts? (these are nearly a grand to buying and ship).

Thanks everyone.

Offline stingray

• Four Barrel
seatbelts
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 04:09:14 PM »
Hi if you want to give me a ring in ragards to your seat belts they can be modified.
Alan 0418252515

Offline BOSCHVETTE

• Tri Powered
seatbelts
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 04:23:15 PM »
hi mate,our 68 small block has lap belts and it went through no problems.I used the guy down at lanyon next to macca's at condor(he loves vettes).
cheers boschvette
New toy about to breath life and we will have a strangle hold on the leadfoot forever 850hp 1150kg Australian sports sedan series here we come.
Z06 sports sedan about to be semi retired.
Old C4 weapon now retired to the garage
450 RWHP WITH MORE TORQUE THAN MUNDINE
BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE BOUGHT A BAG OF ROCKS TO A GUN FIGHT.....

Offline humphbri

• Two Barrel
seatbelts
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 04:33:54 PM »
Thanks Boschvette, I think that 75s need to have the sash belt but pre 72 can get away without them.  i guess I wilol have to wait and find out.
Cheers:22

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
seatbelts
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 09:34:45 PM »
I'm pretty sure a 75 has to have a sash, I think compliancing only came in in 72 in Oz? so those rules apply to all cars,  anything before that is ok.
The headlight rule just means you have to get lights that dip to the left , US cars dip to the right, meaning they will shine in peoples eyes on the opposite direction! I got away without changing them but maybe you can turn them upside down?
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

WARFRIN

seatbelts
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 09:35:23 PM »
I believe that the seat belts must be equal to what was required for similar vintage car manufactured/registered/imported for that model year. Additionally the belts must have the approval label that states they are Australian Standards or similar in compliance. There is info available at the DOTARS web site and for us in NSW the RTA web site. Generally the state authorites are following the DOTARS guides. I bought a set of lap/sash retractables from the US but have been told they won't cut it for NSW rego due to "compliance" label/tag.

Offline humphbri

• Two Barrel
seatbelts
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 10:17:16 AM »
Thanks fellas

I will probably buy a shoulder harness set for Andover Automotives in the US.  As long as they have US compliance tags on them I shold be fine.

Thanks again everyone;42

Offline BOSCHVETTE

• Tri Powered
seatbelts
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 07:47:20 PM »
Originally posted by humphbri
Thanks fellas

I will probably buy a shoulder harness set for Andover Automotives in the US.  As long as they have US compliance tags on them I shold be fine.

Thanks again everyone;42

Mate they will not allows U.S seat belts,it has to have a Australian standards tags on them or they will not pass them.
New toy about to breath life and we will have a strangle hold on the leadfoot forever 850hp 1150kg Australian sports sedan series here we come.
Z06 sports sedan about to be semi retired.
Old C4 weapon now retired to the garage
450 RWHP WITH MORE TORQUE THAN MUNDINE
BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE BOUGHT A BAG OF ROCKS TO A GUN FIGHT.....

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
seatbelts
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 10:25:01 PM »
yes its got to have aussie tags!
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
seatbelts
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 10:26:15 PM »
;wtf

Mate they will not allows U.S seat belts,it has to have a Australian standards tags on them or they will not pass them.[/quote]

Would that would mean 90% of the Corvettes in the club would not comply

;45

Offline humphbri

• Two Barrel
seatbelts
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 03:27:02 PM »
;46

I read somewhere that provided the belts had US compliance tags they would pass, but it seems to change everyday.

Offline L71

• Four Barrel
  • 69 L89 Auto
  • Mood: :-)
seatbelts
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 09:37:09 PM »
Hate to throw a spanner in the worksbut i have registered probably 40-50 corvettes everyy time the if the car is pre 72 & still left hook and the guy doing the Blue slip can readthe label on the us belts and their in good nick then they always get thru no probs , but if it gets a RHD Conversion then usually the engineer who approves your conversion sometimes gets a bit anal about the us belts
also if the car is a ragtop you cant put shoulder belts to meet australian standards because their mounting points cannot be higher than your shoulder my engineers cert says its not possible

Offline smokem

• Four Barrel
seatbelts
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 11:29:16 AM »
sew an aussie tag on ya us belt

STOP ACTING STUPID!
WE'VE GOT POLITICIANS TO DO THAT
[/i]