Author Topic: \"Borrow\" some stock exhaust pipes for my \'78 (and general help needed)  (Read 7479 times)

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Hi all,
This is the year I can finally rego my '78, hallelujah! However, I need to obviously make some modifications and so need as much help from you guys as I can get.

Firstly, a couple of years back someone in here offered to lend me their stock exhaust just while I got the car engineered and rego'd... wondering who that was as I can't find the post when I do a search of the forums..

Secondly, need to make the obvious mods, not sure where to start. Any vette drivers in the Newcastle area willing to donate a bit of time (I have lots of wine that I can use as incentive!) to help me sort a few things out? Any help is appreciated... I'm used to working on old datsuns and am a bit daunted with the thought of working on the vette :)

thanks

Matt

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
\"Borrow\" some stock exhaust pipes for my \'78 (and general help needed)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 06:08:37 PM »
i sent you a u2 mattrix;26

Offline mick

• Tri Powered
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »
You will register that car with those pipes, I did. Just find the right person to rego it before you even take the car in. I would love to help but Im a bit far away. Any more questions send me a email.

Mick

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 09:59:04 AM »
Have sent U2U.
Am also looking at swapping the gearbox for a 4 speed auto or 3 speed auto with overdrive, just to help with petrol costs. what are my options? I'm going to be doing a bit of a web search but thought I'd ask here first as someone here may have done it already.

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 10:08:49 AM »
I think all you need is a VN (?) 4 speed box (non computer) and modify/make a new cross member.  You'll need a new yoke and maybe shorten the tailshaft.  

There is a website in the States that uses a TH200 and has pics of what to do to the xmember.  Sorry I can't rememebr where it was.

Offline jdunne

• Four Barrel
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 10:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by 77CVT
I think all you need is a VN (?) 4 speed box (non computer) and modify/make a new cross member.  You'll need a new yoke and maybe shorten the tailshaft.  

There is a website in the States that uses a TH200 and has pics of what to do to the xmember.  Sorry I can't rememebr where it was.
Mattrix,i have the vn commodore 700r4 in my 74.....i just have a vacuum lock up as i didn't have a computer in the car when i installed it.....it takes a bit of fiddling to install but isn;'t that hard to do,bracket on crossmember,different length tail shaft,change to the shifter mechanism and some small brackets on the carby for the cable all pretty straight forward...john:}

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 04:56:22 PM »
;33

I have a new exhaust system that I will be installing on my 73 shortly, you can use my old system if you like. Can be modified to suit your vette.

:x

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 09:05:14 PM »
But isnt yours a big block?
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 09:40:52 PM »
MADLT1 said he can lend me some stock manifolds, so as long as the pipes are the same on the BB as the SB then I should be ok... but I wouldn't know whether they are the same... anyone?

As for the VN box, very interesting. Will have to keep an eye out for one of those (probably on ebay), doesn't sound like too hard a swap really.

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 10:42:43 PM »
No BB & SB manifolds are very different!

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 11:29:41 PM »
:bold

Never thought of that, BB is 2.5" and SB is 2".

;52

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 11:37:42 PM »
Dont forget ...the BB is wider and longer, bigger ports, takes a different route down to the chassis...... just rubbin it in Reserved!!!!

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 09:27:38 AM »
hey boys, i don't need the manifolds, just the exhaust pipes (see above post) ;53 MADLT1 has offered to lend me his manifolds, so I have that covered. I've got a mate that works at a smelter that says he could bend me some pipes, could that be problematic? The main issue is I want to avoid spending anything since it's only temporary and it's not like I need a new exhaust system, I've got the ultimate one as it is. :)

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 11:40:07 AM »
Houston we have a problem... It seems that some bright spark decided to paint over the top of the stickers on the inside of the left door. Meaning I have no access to the date that the car was manufactured. I can only just make out the paint and trim codes, but the other sticker is completely coated in paint. So, is there someone I can contact and provide my VIN in order to work out the date my car was made?

Hard lesson also learnt - hadn't started the car in a few months, went out and the battery was flat, wouldn't even start with a jump pack. Battery was nearly brand new when i got it (mate bought it for his car but couldn't use it as the terminals wouldn't reach), got tonnes of CCA as well so... :( will be disconnecting the battery after every drive just to keep it safe...

Offline jdunne

• Four Barrel
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 02:34:13 PM »
It should be a metal plate,not a sticker! that has the build month/year.The vin #, then reference to the corvette black book will give you an approx build date.My 74r(which was built in oct 73 which is part of the 74 model year) caused endless debate whether it was to be registered as a 73 or a 74 at the Motor Registration Branch...in the end i told them i didn't care so long as they would let me go....i was there for hours...it is officially a 74 model and is registered as such..john;41;41;41

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 09:14:17 PM »
I have done the commodore auto swap on my 78 have numerous pics  of cross member mod.Tailshaft yoke is same for t350 or t700 gearbox. Tailshaft has to be shortened about 50mm. R/hand side of tunnel near yoke has to be widened out to clear yoke & maybee r/hand pipe where it goes thru crossmember. Also used the shifter kit & quadrant which replaces stock items which gives you 4 gear positions. have also designed a timer circuit for the lockup on the gearbox.

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 09:46:18 PM »
ok so metal plate, i couldn't really tell though as it had all been painted over! :{ the other one was a sticker though, on the end of the door (as in, just near the handle on the perpendicular side), which wasn't readable at all. the plate on the inside of the door (near the hinges) only had paint and trim codes on it...
Where do I find this mythical "corvette black book"? :)

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 10:17:50 PM »
I've got that and quite a few other books covering VINs, manfacture dates, etc

There are also quite a few web sites containing this material.

If you send me your VIN -- by u2u message if you prefer -- I'll look it up in what I have and let you know.

Cheers, Graeme

PS: Going forward, you could mask off the door area and carefully use stripper to cut back to the original plate.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 10:29:50 PM »
Originally posted by Mattrix

Where do I find this mythical "corvette black book"? :)

Please evaluate the sample!!!

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 02:29:18 AM »
Hard lesson also learnt - hadn't started the car in a few months, went out and the battery was flat, wouldn't even start with a jump pack. Battery was nearly brand new when i got it (mate bought it for his car but couldn't use it as the terminals wouldn't reach), got tonnes of CCA as well so... :( will be disconnecting the battery after every drive just to keep it safe...

A brand new battery of the correct capacity shouldn't go stone flat in a couple of months unless it's not being fully charged or something's draining it while it's parked.

For instance, I've heard that the station memory function in Delco radios can run a battery flat in pretty short time.

I'd be putting an ammeter in series with the positive battery lead and seeing if there is a significant current draw when the car's parked and everything's turned off. If nothing found, then I'd be looking at the charging circuit.

If you want to disconnect the battery regardless, then you might consider a battery isolator switch such as is popular with boaties ...

http://www.outboardmotorparts.com.au/Default.asp?p=PT&id=214

Cheers, Graeme
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!